Surprise jump in MPG

First the serious comment. don't even THINK of using 6th gear at that slow. I've tested 5th & 6th gear at 70mph and found it does better in 5th at that speed. I'm on a 2010 and I hear tell of some gearing changes in the 2011. Doesn't look like it helped much.
That said, my theory is that H-D tested the mileage with a midget riding a stripped down Tri-Glide at 45 mph, drafting behind a truck....with the wings of angels propelling it.

I have an 09 TG and rode it for 2 years with the 32 tooth pulley. It was gutless in 6th gear and I never shifted into 6th gear until I was 70+ mph. In 2011 HD came out with a 30 tooth in the TG. Over the winter I installed the 30 tooth pully and it made a big difference. Along with the pulley the Woods 555 cams were installed and I had it dynoed. I am very pleased with the change.

I have a 2011 TG and for the first 1000 miles averaged 20 MPG. It's weird because now I average about 30 with 2600 miles

My 2011 Tri-glide was getting almost 30 mpg.I just had the 1000 mi sevice done last friday.I chked the mileage today and it has improved to around 35 mpg so i guess there is hope.

Sorry guys but I need to brag a bit. My 05 Ultra with a new Hannigan kit has gotten 39 mpgs on last three tank fulls. and today I got 44 mpg on a trip where the majority of the riding was on county highways doing 55 to 65 mph. I'm lovin this Hannigan set up.

I'm not too familiar with the TriGlides but this Hannigans fenders are very aerodynamic and maybe that has a bearing on my gas mileage vs. the Triglides which look to have almost a flat fender???

Re gauge accuracy - I went for a solo ride last weekend and lost track of how much was in the tank. It was definitely on "E" when I pulled in to a station, but only took 4.6 gallons. I'm not impressed.

John, when you are on E, I believe you still have a gallon left on Reserve. My gas empty light will come on with 37 miles left in Reserve. I have never gotten more that 4.8 gallons into the tank, because I get fuel when the light comes on.

Thanks Ironhorse! I thought the reserve was included in the reading (not like the bad old days when you could flip the tank valve on the bottom from "normal" to "reserve".)
Guess i need to read the manual!
Incidentally my mileage so far also seems to be around 36.

Harley fuel gages are notoriously inaccurate! Notice they go form 1/2 to E a lot faster than full to 1/2?? We get between 35 and 40 mpg on our '09 and '11 trikes, depending on weather, up or down hill, wind.... really don't care what the mileage is, the trikes are FUN!

I have a 2011 tri glide and my fuel milage is about 37-38 mpg. I went from a 2009 Streetglide that was about 850 lbs. to a trike that is about 1200lbs. Same motor, same gearing up to 6th. My problem is that I can't figure out the low fuel light. The amount left in the tank seems to change all the time. I did a little test. I emptyed that tank fully each time. I filled the tank with 6 gals. rode until the low fuel light came on, I then went to the reserve, counted down to "0" and then rode to empty, The bike quit running. The first time I got 16 miles before the bike quit.<br />
<br />
The second time 13 miles.

The third time 38 miles. I can't explain that. I traveled the same route, same speed. shifted at the same rpm's. Why the difference, I don't know.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back