Surprise jump in MPG

Say Bdn56 Where did you get the smaller drive pulley and won't that smaller pulley affect the accuracy of the speedo? I would like to change my pulley to have an easier start from a dead stop with 2up

I ordered the gear and chain from Evolution Industries. I think Ultra Boy or Zook can get you one.

It made a world of difference on takeoff and it sure is better on my clutch. I can actually use 6th gear now.

I don't think it changed my speedo any? I am thinking the sensor for the speedo is on the tranny? I could be wrong.:Shrug:

The EVO industries sprocket goes on the motor, taking the place of the Compensator sprocket with a solid 30 tooth sprocket, hence the shorter chain. It does help acceleration quite a bit, but the 6th gear green indicator will no longer function. No speedo calibration needed when changing the motor sprocket.
EV:1012-1231 30 Tooth Sprocket Kit Fits 2007 and Later Touring Models

EV:1012-1241 30 Tooth Sprocket Kit Fits 2006 Dyna Glide and 2007 and Later Dyna and Softail Models.

EV:1004-3011 Front Evolution Industries Sprocket Bolt. Evolution Industries Recommends Replacing When Changing Sprocket.

They were about 300 bucks or so, I haven't bought one in a while.

The fuel milage on my 2010 stock Triglide has been constantly been improving with time but I have not been happy with it until last night. When I first got the tirke, it started out so bad that I would not even figure MPG because I didn't want to be too disappointed with my new purchase. The heat issue was bad enough...and still is. I now have approx 5300 miles on it. Last night on the return trip from a Patriot Guard mission, riding 2-up at 55-65mph in 5th gear, we got 48 MPG! I honestly thought the fuel gauge was stuck so I stopped and visually checked the fuel and it was still almost full after several miles so I knew the gauge was correct. We continued our ride home and filled up when we got to our home town. Sure enough, it came out to 48 MPG on that tank. If ANYONE had posted something like this before last night, I would have said it was totally impossible. I can't explain it. I will just accept the blessing for that one tank. I won't be able to ride any except to and from work until Friday (<1 mile), so I won't be able to check it again until then. I will post an update after my next ride.

Are you sure your neighbor or friend didn't stop by the night before and add gas to your tank? :beerchug:

i'm with rlpcep. My 2011 gets about 36 avg for all riding, highway and city. Looking forward to getting 48mpg when i get some miles on it;only 2000 so far.

On my '10 I have actually found the gas gauge to be pretty good. I especially like where it says how many estimated miles left. in July I was pushing it a litte close and it said 4 miles left as I pulled into a station where I filled up with 5.96 gallons.

Yep, same here. I always have the gauge reading with the little 'r' displayed. It's pretty accurate on how many miles are left in the tank.

Just an "Old Veteran Well Learned Lesson"......If You let Your Tank get very low, and have an unknown to You leak crop up somewhere, You could find yourself stranded somewhere that You don't wanna' be (Been There, Trust Me), whereas with Gas Stops around 100 to 150 miles will keep You in striking range of civilization before it goes dry. Also, it lets You, and especially Your Passenger if You have one, take a quick break. Gastank mounted Fuel Pumps (not that familiar "yet" with the new Harley Trike) don't like low gas reserves due to the extra cooling properties of more gas......just a few thoughts....ThumbUp

Say Bdn56 Where did you get the smaller drive pulley and won't that smaller pulley affect the accuracy of the speedo? I would like to change my pulley to have an easier start from a dead stop with 2up

Many of us 2009, '10 Tri-Glide owners have gone with the 2011 TG 30 t. primary belt pulley. It is less than a hundred bucks but involves more labor to install than the compensator chain pulley. Sixth gear indicator still works but speedo reads 5 mph faster. Sure has increased my dead-stop acceleration!!

On the Dyna I learned the hard way that after the conversion, the nose of the gas tank was a little lower than the pickup -- about 1/4 tank lower, to be exact! That meant that at 1/4 remaining on the gauge, I was on the side of the road!! I had a bracket made to lift the front of the gas tank and now the gauge seems to be accurate. I haven't run the numbers but the last run went 150 miles on 3/4 of a tank, so that would be rough guess 3.5 gallons, so about 42 mpg? No highway, but no cars or lights either....I think we averaged 50-60 mph ... It's rough math but I'll take it even if I am off by a few gallons!!!!

Sarge:
Great tank full! Just got a 2011 TriGlide and so far the new Harley "gear fix" appears to be working. Read this blog for a long time prior to buying and learned a lot - thanks to all. I have less than 500 miles on the tike and mileage is about 38 mpg so far. Used the cruise a few days ago, in 6th gear, and didn't notice any lugging on hills with 2 up. Had to travel to the east coast to ride (we are from Grand Lake, CO) and get this trike broken in. Rode some miles in Colorado and experienced no lugging there either. Fuel mileage was similar there, too. Heat issues don't appear to be a problem and rode in 80 degree weather 2 days ago. Will continue to blog and report on any increases like the one you just experienced - did you see the fuel fairy during this trip? :)

Les & Connie
Grand Lake, CO
USMC (ret)

Sarge:
Great tank full! Just got a 2011 TriGlide and so far the new Harley "gear fix" appears to be working. Read this blog for a long time prior to buying and learned a lot - thanks to all. I have less than 500 miles on the tike and mileage is about 38 mpg so far. Used the cruise a few days ago, in 6th gear, and didn't notice any lugging on hills with 2 up. Had to travel to the east coast to ride (we are from Grand Lake, CO) and get this trike broken in. Rode some miles in Colorado and experienced no lugging there either. Fuel mileage was similar there, too. Heat issues don't appear to be a problem and rode in 80 degree weather 2 days ago. Will continue to blog and report on any increases like the one you just experienced - did you see the fuel fairy during this trip? :)

Les & Connie
Grand Lake, CO
USMC (ret)

welcome aboard. have fun on that TRI-GLIDE

Mpg

2011 trike with 2200 miles on it. This past saturday I went to a shooting competition on the trike set the cruise at 80 there and back got 24mpg. the little light came on put a hair over 5 gallons in it. Stopped at the dealer being a little upset at such poor gas mileage the service manager asked how fast I said 80 he said there you go it runs best at under 3000 rpm. So Sunday with my bride on the back some back roads along the river nice ride and some twistys not alot in NW Ohio then back on Rt 2 no more than 62 using 6th I filled up again got 34mpg. Have H&V pipes and a AN big sucker waiting on the Revolution self tuner and changing the head pipes to get rid of the Cat. Took off the lower fairings and it seems to get a lot more air on your legs so I think my bride will be a little happier with less heat on her legs. Anyone else removed the lowers for less heat. Gus

First the serious comment. don't even THINK of using 6th gear at that slow. I've tested 5th & 6th gear at 70mph and found it does better in 5th at that speed. I'm on a 2010 and I hear tell of some gearing changes in the 2011. Doesn't look like it helped much.
That said, my theory is that H-D tested the mileage with a midget riding a stripped down Tri-Glide at 45 mph, drafting behind a truck....with the wings of angels propelling it.

At 62mph I was running about 2600 rpm it seemed to be okay what do I look for that is bad. It had power to speed up and pass did not run to hot. Tell me more about this 6th gear.Gus

Bikerbozo, HD doesn't test things like they did in the old days they use computer data and the problem with computer data is that when you put garbage in you get garbage out. I think they need to do a lot more of the old school testing like they use to, to get the quality back up where it use to be.

Gus,<br />
Finally (IMHO) a post about real world mileage. Thanks. These trikes push a lot of air and speed and wind have a great effect on mileage. I see your trike is an 11, 62mph in 6th will probably be ok since you have the 30t X 70t gearing. The 09 and 10 models were equipped with 32t X 70t gearing and 6th wasn't much good under 70mph. I almost always got better mileage by using 5th gear up to 70 on my 09 TriGlide. I think Bikerbozo was right about HD's mileage testing!<br />
<br />
Dwight

Yesterday I took a 125 mile road trip on my 2011 Triglide. I was able to fill up with 93 that had NO ethanol added. I ran 60 mph, 6th gear, 2500 rpm and not too much stop and go but some in small towns. I got back filled up again and checked my mileage and it was 37.9 mpg. <br />
<br />
I have removed the Catalytic converter from the stock header, V&H slip on Mufflers, Arlen Ness big sucker A/C, and retuned with a TTS interface. It also runs cooler. <br />
<br />
I have found though if I can find fuel without ethanol I will get about 10-12% better mileage. So much for our great government wanting ethanol used and now talk about increasing it from 10% to 15%.

On my '10 I have actually found the gas gauge to be pretty good. I especially like where it says how many estimated miles left. in July I was pushing it a litte close and it said 4 miles left as I pulled into a station where I filled up with 5.96 gallons.
The wife hates when I play gas roulette! (Oops, she caught me smiling as I typed that and asked why).

You think maybe she doesn't plan on pushing ? lol

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back