Stallion Info

Re: Stallion Repairs & Trouble Shooting

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I believe as long as TM continues to do an excellent job of listening to the owners, their product quality will improve and the bugs will get worked out just like the foreign manufacturers did.

I own high end Lexus vehicles and traded in a late model Goldwing for my Stallion and they all have had issues. It is how the issues are resolved that matter to me so I will continue to be a Stallion fan.

Put the Stallion up on ramps today, to see how the cruise & brake switch are mounted. Its just kinda hanging out there with no protection. Not a good design. Ford dealer fixed the cruise, says there appeared to have been an impact with an object kicked up from road. Bent the switch bracket and broke the switches. Bottom line, costs me $700. to repair, warranty would not pay for poor design, only for failed Ford parts. They covered NONE of it.

Am wondering if some sort of protective shield could be made to protect the switches. Has anyone done that?

BTW, found 2 grease zerts on the u-joints. Did you all know they were there? Dont remember reading about greasing them in the owners manuel.

The fittings have been there on all models. There also are some on the steering which are much easier to get to. I was told to service them by my dealer when I purchased it. The ones on the u-joints are very hard to do.

I can not find anything in the maintenance schedule to lube the U-joints, but there are many entries to inspect the U-joints and to lube the steering linkage.

I have found a solution to the chronic reliabity problems that works for me.
EVERY time we take a long ride, something malfunctions. Really getting tired of the problems.
Solution # 1. Park it in garage, cover it, then ride my Goldwing.
Solution # 2. Bought us a toyhauler, now when we are far from home and it breaks down again, load it up and drive home. No more getting stuck out on the road, far from home, with a vehicle that is not fit to ride back.
I wish this were not the case, but see no cure coming from TBMS.

I have gotten nothing but excellent co-operation and support from Jeff & JD at TMS. Why don't you try calling JD and discussing your issues with him? JD is Jeff Vey's son and the chief Stallion project engineer and is very much on top of resolving any issues with the Stallion. I think you will find that he will bend over backwards to make it right.

Put the Stallion up on ramps today, to see how the cruise & brake switch are mounted. Its just kinda hanging out there with no protection. Not a good design. Ford dealer fixed the cruise, says there appeared to have been an impact with an object kicked up from road. Bent the switch bracket and broke the switches. Bottom line, costs me $700. to repair, warranty would not pay for poor design, only for failed Ford parts. They covered NONE of it.

Am wondering if some sort of protective shield could be made to protect the switches. Has anyone done that?

BTW, found 2 grease zerts on the u-joints. Did you all know they were there? Dont remember reading about greasing them in the owners manuel.

In all fairness, an object kicked up from the road should be covered by your insurance company and not the factory. There is plenty of clearance but anything can happen as far as a road hazard. I do think it would be fairly simple to fab a simple protective plate though.

Stopped at Russel's and Libby's Friday. Russel showed me the new brake switch. It sure should solve the water problem. Russel says they will be available shortly as they are being made.

Someone makes a heavy duty skid plate. I think it is Southwest. That may cover the part you want to protect. I hit a stick and blew out a new tire comming back from a repair and warranty did not cover it. I was only driving to get it fixed, but it was a road hazard, not a defect in the tire.

You cannot armor plate every part on a stallion, but you can try. I can see how it would blow if it was my $700.00 and I would be pissed too. But I had half of that so I half way know how you feel.

Just wanted to say that we returned from a 2 weeks ride up north - about 2500+ miles. The Stallion performed great. No complaints or problems. Had a great time and many, many stares, pictures and inquiries. It's cool being different!
That being said, I do have the problem with the body pulling away from the inner lining on the side of the hood. Hubby spoke with a Headquarter guy at biketoberfest and he is making sure Russel has all the necessary equipment for the repair.

Just wanted to say that we returned from a 2 weeks ride up north - about 2500+ miles. The Stallion performed great. No complaints or problems. Had a great time and many, many stares, pictures and inquiries. It's cool being different!
That being said, I do have the problem with the body pulling away from the inner lining on the side of the hood. Hubby spoke with a Headquarter guy at biketoberfest and he is making sure Russel has all the necessary equipment for the repair.

Tell Russel to use the 3M 8115 product that TM recommended to me. Mine was excessive and so far it has held with this product. Look at my post for under "plastic shell" for info.

Stopped at Russel's and Libby's Friday. Russel showed me the new brake switch. It sure should solve the water problem. Russel says they will be available shortly as they are being made.

I have had the new switch for about a month and it is still hanging in there, but I have not been in the rain but it appears to be very watertight.

You may need the new cable if your's did not have the first fix installed.

My issue was with current and arcing across the contacts and the new switch contacts are now silver plated.

New issue:
Left fog lamp burned out today. Is there a bulb in there that can be replaced? Nothing in the owners manual. I read a post in another thread from back in June and someone said you need to remove the whole assembly and solder in a bulb!!?? Really?

Last edited:

Yes really or replace the whole assembly. Actually you can replace the bulb and cut and connect new feed wires. Find someone that has some wiring ability and it should not be a problem to fix.

New issue:
Left fog lamp burned out today. Is there a bulb in there that can be replaced? Nothing in the owners manual. I read a post in another thread from back in June and someone said you need to remove the whole assembly and solder in a bulb!!?? Really?
If this Grandma can do it you can too. Go to your local Auto Zone or equivalent and bring the parts with you. They'll help you find the new connector and give you the right bulb. Bat your eyes and ask him to go through the steps with you. After you get it replaced you'll feel like a million bucks and know you are now able to conquer the WORLD! Go for it, deb!

Last edited:

The pigtail connector looks like this, deb54

pigtailconnector.jpg

We hauled the Stallion to Texas hill country to do some riding. Rode 200-300 miles of good roads. Only problem was a complete loss of head and tail lights, returning to camp after dark. Was lucky to have friends on Goldwings to light the way. Thats why we now use a toyhauler.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back