Stage One ?

Jan 16, 2023
PORTAGE, mi,usa
I recently had a dealer put a stage one kit on my triglide, 2014 103HO. As I understand it that means high flow air cleaner, high flow exhaust

and tune(r).

Does that mean they reset settings to adjust for higher air volumn, or did they actually add "a turner(?)" physcially to the bike?

can't say I notice any increase in performance afterward, But I am not an aggressive rider.

opinions? thanks OPR1945

I recently had a dealer put a stage one kit on my triglide, 2014 103HO. As I understand it that means high flow air cleaner, high flow exhaust

and tune(r).

Does that mean they reset settings to adjust for higher air volumn, or did they actually add "a turner(?)" physcially to the bike?

can't say I notice any increase in performance afterward, But I am not an aggressive rider.

opinions? thanks OPR1945

If you aren't a aggressive rider you might not notice a difference ....But it should run a little cooler...And the red line...(Rev limiter) should have been raise to 61 hundred RPM's..

SE Tuner

If your parts were installed by the dealer they probably programmed the control module with a new "tune". The tuners that HD uses do not stay with the bike. The tune is basically done in three steps. 1. Connect tuner to ECM and gather data from bike. 2. modify the tune using the SE tuning program. 3. send the new tune to the bike. I would check your invoice. I'm pretty sure they will charge you for tuning the TriGlide. If you don't see it on your invoice contact your shop. I installed a stage 2 upgrade myself which means I had to buy the SE tuner and the cable kit. I ran the tune process twice. First time was good and I noticed great improvement. Second time made it even better as it refined the tune even more.

NOTE: Screamin Eagle tuners are married to the bike and can only be used for one bike. I suspect that HD has equipment at the shop than can pretty much tune multiple bikes. If there's no definitive answer here by tuesday I'll stop by the local dealer and ask them.

and tune(r).

opinions? thanks OPR1945
It sounds like you bought a tune but not a physical tuner? All a dealer stage one tune will do is keep the AFR within EPA spec's and all you gain is about 5hp. Your best bet if your not satisfied is to go over to DK Customs web site- they'll help get you where you want to be.

the dealer says...

Just back from my local dealer. The tech there told me that when they install a stage one, all they do is "flash" the ECM for the parts they installed. If they install a stage 2 then they also sell you the SE tuner. They will download an initial tune and then it's all up to you how far you want to go with tweaking the tune.

I ran a tune once in the winter, then once in the summer and I'm very satisfied with the increased performance of the stage 2. A stage 1 is mainly an economy tune and you will get "some" performance from it.

I really don't think a Stage 1 is worth much for the money. If it was me I would either do the headers and slip-ons (getting rid of the cat), different air box, and a tune. Of course if you really want to have a fast bike have the bottom end done up at Dark Horse and then the 128 kit (for a 107 stock) T-man installed. Or if you have a 114 stock have the 130 T-man kit done. Just my opinion if you are looking for increased performance.

and tune(r).

opinions? thanks OPR1945

Sorry to say, the vast majority of folks who get a Stage I from Harley have wasted their money. It is not a performance Stage I and does not really help the bike out at all.

Here is a video outlining the differences between a wannabe Stage I and a quality Stage I.

btw, even the most conservative rider will feel a marked difference in the engine with a quality Stage I.

Kevin

I really don't think a Stage 1 is worth much for the money. If it was me I would either do the headers and slip-ons (getting rid of the cat), different air box, and a tune. Of course if you really want to have a fast bike have the bottom end done up at Dark Horse and then the 128 kit (for a 107 stock) T-man installed. Or if you have a 114 stock have the 130 T-man kit done. Just my opinion if you are looking for increased performance.
Yup.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back