Harley can’t install stage 2

Jul 10, 2023
idaho falls
I recently purchased a 2023 TRi glide, when I ordered the trike , I also ordered new head pipes, mufflers , high torque cam , high flow air kit, they installed all this then told me they could not download a tune for this , that Harley had to pull them all, EPA?? Then they put my trike back to stock and said they will reinstall this when download is available, What is going on? Does anyone know what is going on?

Hi Craig, :welcome: to Trike Talk and your first post

Harley has allowed itself to be strangled by the EPA

I find it strange your dealer did not know this before doing all of that work

I would NOT be happy with them and would think about another dealer for service in the future

I recently purchased a 2023 TRi glide, when I ordered the trike , I also ordered new head pipes, mufflers , high torque cam , high flow air kit, they installed all this then told me they could not download a tune for this , that Harley had to pull them all, EPA?? Then they put my trike back to stock and said they will reinstall this when download is available, What is going on? Does anyone know what is going on?

Craig…. welcome to Trike Talk.👍👍…And yes you dealer was asleep at the wheel. They should have known about that 2 years ago….Harley was fined big time for running a file of the EPA for doing those non EPA approved downloads…

Allowed?

Please explain this...

This started when HD entered into the consent decree starting with the roll out of the M8 platform

HD allowed the EPA to impose stricter regulations without much of a fight, this allowed HD to void power train warranties to owners not using HD tuners

Stage2

This is very interesting, as I have my 2023 Tri scheduled for the Stage 2 install on July 25 here in Oregon (but at the nearest dealer which is in Wa). I ran this info by them and they were not aware of any issues with the install but will look into it further.

I will report back to the forum when I hear more…… right now all my parts are on hold.

Pete. :Coffee:

This is very interesting, as I have my 2023 Tri scheduled for the Stage 2 install on July 25 here in Oregon (but at the nearest dealer which is in Wa). I ran this info by them and they were not aware of any issues with the install but will look into it further.

I will report back to the forum when I hear more…… right now all my parts are on hold.

Would greatly appreciate it Peter if you could let me know how it goes and what all was done

Thanks

I think you should be ok …The OP was adding Cams and Intake and Exhaust parts..

Sorry for your trouble, sounds like your dealer is not up on current events, sounds like a new dealer to me or least I would find one. For all the crap the harley goes thru on every thing I just wish Harley would grow a pair and tell the EPA to go you know where. Granted their are things harley can do without the EPA harping on them. Yea they got fined big time a few years back but harley needs to do something or otherwise harley will fold up because of the rules the EPA has for harley, it is a shame.

Ok, wish they would have left your stuff on the bike, you could have gotten a Power Vision and had a tune downloaded for what you have. Might want to think about this if that is what you want, screw the warranty, some how or other harley will find a way to not warrant your bike regardless if parts are all harley, that is harley way of doing business, sorry to say, that is why business is down and sales are poor.

All for now Trampas

Welcome to the forum…

I find your situation to be a head scratcher. I find it hard to believe Harley “pulled the tunes” for a 23’ TriGlide.

Did you purchase a Screamin Eagle tuner? I didn’t see it listed.

I have a 21’ TriGlide and had a Stage 2 kit installed by my dealer last summer (torque cam, high flow air cleaner, Khromewerks cans) no problem.

The master tech that did my tune said that Harley has limited the “tweak ability “ of the tunes available for trikes compared to that of say an Ultra (probably to protect the drive train is my guess), however, the tune he was able to perform is quite acceptable.

I think your dealer is miss informed…

The fact they installed then had to uninstall the parts is nuts.

Please clarify whether or not you purchased a Screamin Eagle tuner or if they tried to use another tuner (which would void the warranty).

Welcome to the forum…

I find your situation to be a head scratcher. I find it hard to believe Harley “pulled the tunes” for a 23’ TriGlide.

Did you purchase a Screamin Eagle tuner? I didn’t see it listed.

I have a 21’ TriGlide and had a Stage 2 kit installed by my dealer last summer (torque cam, high flow air cleaner, Khromewerks cans) no problem.

The master tech that did my tune said that Harley has limited the “tweak ability “ of the tunes available for trikes compared to that of say an Ultra (probably to protect the drive train is my guess), however, the tune he was able to perform is quite acceptable.

I think your dealer is miss informed…

The fact they installed then had to uninstall the parts is nuts.

Please clarify whether or not you purchased a Screamin Eagle tuner or if they tried to use another tuner (which would void the warranty).

Screaming eagle tuner

Update

Most definitely, as far as parts I stayed with all Screeming Eagle just to maintain my warranty.

:Coffee:

Ive been checking part #’s and EVERTHING that Jack has stated is correct, my dealer is checking further but all appears a GO for my install on July 25.

The service manager said he will get back to me in a few days (has always been straight with me).

So since your NOT in CA you should be fine!

I’ll update again when I get additional info.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back