Oil from trans to primary......

Once your tranny starts to whine, you will know your fluid is low and bearing damage has started

I dunno about the 6 speeds, I do know the 4 speeds on Shovels and Pans could take a hundred miles and more with No lube before locking up

Once your tranny starts to whine, you will know your fluid is low and bearing damage has started

I dunno about the 6 speeds, I do know the 4 speeds on Shovels and Pans could take a hundred miles and more with No lube before locking up

Reason I asked is that my 1990 FLH came with porous cases. The vacuum in the crank case would suck oil out of the primary while running, making the oil bottle over full. So when I restarted the pump would pump the excess into the air cleaner. But if it sat the oil would migrate back to the primary. Flagstaff HD discovered the primary dry at 90 - something thousand miles while I was on a trip. There had been no damage to the chain, clutch, etc.. So I wonder if the tranny/primary oil transfer would stabilize at some level that still provided adequate lube to the former.

BTW, the reason HD hadn't issued a recall was that they had no idea which bikes were affected and didn't want a panic. They replaced the cases and all bearings when my problem was diagnosed.

HD had some problems with the 5 speed cases as well as the Evo crank cases

Guess the supplier had some bad aluminum?

I dunno 4 sure, most of the cases replaced that I remember were good willed by Dealers tho they were most all out of 2 year factory warranty

There was also a lot of bad crank case studs then also

Fix didn't work.....

After 5 hundred miles the kit to stop the oil transfer from the trans to the primary didn't work.....Back to the dealer next Wednesday...I Called Harley today and all i got out of that was their engineers are working on the problem, And they also said they have a few reports on this problem...For what thats worth..:mad:....Whats next i'll know by next Wednesday...Maybe the Trans will burn up by then running that low on fluid ...

Ya know rhino with a sense of humor like yours, I'm surprised you don't overfill the trans and drain some out of the primary. Watch the look on their face when they discover its now goin in the opposite way!:)

Ya know rhino with a sense of humor like yours, I'm surprised you don't overfill the trans and drain some out of the primary. Watch the look on their face when they discover its now goin in the opposite way!:)

I did that the first time I thought they forgot to fill it so I just filled my self�� And and that's screwed up thier calculations ! So they had to put in the right amounts then let me drive another thousand miles so they can measure it ! My mistake was being a nice guy and not calling about it saying hey guys you forgot to fill up my transmission Instead of doing it myself '����If I did that then it would have been in caught right away ��

After 5 hundred miles the kit to stop the oil transfer from the trans to the primary didn't work.....Back to the dealer next Wednesday...I Called Harley today and all i got out of that was their engineers are working on the problem, And they also said they have a few reports on this problem...For what thats worth..:mad:....Whats next i'll know by next Wednesday...Maybe the Trans will burn up by then running that low on fluid ...

Why am I not surprised that this 'band aid' type fix didn't work? I feel for you as I went through all the 'growing pains' with the 2007 model year with the 110" motor. Lots of companies make motorcycles but it seems Harley knows how to screw up the best of all, lol. Sure hope they find the root cause of the problem and get you fixed up . . . and oh yeah, sure hope my 2018 TG doesn't develop the problem.

I went to the HD shop today to order a part, while there I asked the service writer about the "migrating trans fluid to the primary" issue. I was told they have had 0 reports of that issue ... Hmmm ... me thinks I smell a cover up ... :D

I went to the HD shop today to order a part, while there I asked the service writer about the "migrating trans fluid to the primary" issue. I was told they have had 0 reports of that issue ... Hmmm ... me thinks I smell a cover up ... :D

My guy says he has at least 3 other M8's with the same problem... Two other dealers i talked to don't know nothing about it..:p....And like i said before [Post#44] , I called Harley and they said they have had complaints about it...

Deny, deny, deny and if you do that long enough maybe it will go away. Seems to work for politicians, lol.

Good point, I get it

But I bet the general public aint buying it

H D sales are way down, add this controversy It aint looking good for The MOCO

IMO, they need to come clean and publicly say so and offer a fix as soon as they have one JMO

Hi Guys,

Any update to oil problem? I've got a 2017 Triglide with 9000 miles. Just got back from Laconia and changed all my fluids before I left. I read this problem and decided to check things out. 2400 miles on the speedometer.

Transmission was down to 20 ounces

Primary was spilling out of the top when I removed the cover

Called my dealer and naturally he has never heard of the problem. July 12th before I can get it checked at HD. Any advice so I can fix it myself........

Thanks Gary :confused::confused:

Any advice so I can fix it myself........

Keep an eye on the fluid, document every time you add to it

Your dealer for lack of a better term is not telling the truth

They have had eyes and hands on an internal memo leaked to the internet that has been removed Imagine that

This memo goes back to 2014 models so you decide who to believe

harley-davidson-ta0022.jpg
Ask him about this bulletin

Moderators, This bulletin should be a sticky

HD has seen fit to play dumb over this when it is clear they have this in hand

Hi Guys,

Any update to oil problem? I've got a 2017 Triglide with 9000 miles. Just got back from Laconia and changed all my fluids before I left. I read this problem and decided to check things out. 2400 miles on the speedometer.

Transmission was down to 20 ounces

Primary was spilling out of the top when I removed the cover

Called my dealer and naturally he has never heard of the problem. July 12th before I can get it checked at HD. Any advice so I can fix it myself........

Thanks Gary :confused::confused:

Gary, There isn't a fix....Harley is stonewalling the problem....Iv'e been back 3 times once Harley sent my dealer a kit to fix it...Didn't work...I have lodged a complaint [2] with Harley Tech service....That and 20 cents will get me a ride on the subway...

My Dealer says, And he's the only one that will say there is a problem.. that they have quite a few M8's with that problem, And suspect there are more out there but the owners don't know it yet..

The Complaint number is 1-414-343-4056...Give them a call..

As of now i will ride it till the Trans burns up , Or when the warranty is up..

Gary, There isn't a fix....Harley is stonewalling the problem....Iv'e been back 3 times once Harley sent my dealer a kit to fix it...Didn't work...I have lodged a complaint [2] with Harley Tech service....That and 20 cents will get me a ride on the subway...

My Dealer says, And he's the only one that will say there is a problem.. that they have quite a few M8's with that problem, And suspect there are more out there but the owners don't know it yet..

The Complaint number is 1-414-343-4056...Give them a call..

As of now i will ride it till the Trans burns up , Or when the warranty is up..

Bob Be careful Bad JU JU if your tranny locks up The shifting will get harder along with a lot of noise That will be the bearings heading South Then Kablue eee

The 6 Speed is a GREAT tranny, but not long for the world with repeated being low or out of lube JMO I have seen a few 4 and 5 speeds blown wide open;)

Bob Be careful Bad JU JU if your tranny locks up The shifting will get harder along with a lot of noise That will be the bearings heading South Then Kablue eee

The 6 Speed is a GREAT tranny, but not long for the world with repeated being low or out of lube JMO I have seen a few 4 and 5 speeds blown wide open;)

Then they have to fix it....

Jack....Harley Tech Services said DONOT Add fluid to the trans if it is low, Bring it back and the dealer will level the fluids out, No charge..

Yeah I don't trust them .How are we going to get it to them with no lube in there?

Wait for them to dispatch some one?

I for one will document every time mine is low ( @ 18k miles I do not have this problem YET)

I do NOT want HD putting ANY thing but REDLINE in mine

And I bet you they will NOT, instead they will most likely put Formula + in, Not my choice of lube

I have used Redline since my first service @ 500 miles Documented every time and backed up with receipts My dealer sells Redline Imagine that;)

Reactions: MDO
I had a dealer in Arizona service writer tell me that it was impossible for the tranny oil to leak into the primary case. So I thought to myself "OOOOkay".

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back