New to bikes and trikes need resources please

Jun 8, 2024
baltimore
Name
chuck
I inherited a vk trike from my pops. it was a project he never even started. its in peices and id like to build it. i have the fiberglass body, motor, frame but thats about it. motor runs so thats a plus. i need to buy all the parts. any good links to purchase some things. i dont see it being to difficult excpt for the fact ive never been on one or a motorcycle so unclear as to how it shifted gears being its a car motor. need to bu all pedeals master cylender drums forks handle bars wheels gas tank instruments wire harness ect.. ok probably will be difficult lol. and advice would be greatly appriciated.
trike was titles in maryland in 81. has a 1600, parts been sitting for over 20 years in a shed. rough shape

20240608_110925.jpg20240608_111154.jpg20240608_111159.jpg20240608_111317.jpg20240608_143503.jpgIMG_20240608_133942.jpg

Most of the mechanical and electrical will be VW.....or more precisely aftermarket VW such as dune buggy.
CB performance, CIP 1, Dan's buggies, and a whole bunch of others. A lot of them are simply parts sellers and can not answer a tech question at all.
The front end will need more figuring out.....what neck is on it? Set up your geometry ECT.

Most of the mechanical and electrical will be VW.....or more precisely aftermarket VW such as dune buggy.
CB performance, CIP 1, Dan's buggies, and a whole bunch of others. A lot of them are simply parts sellers and can not answer a tech question at all.
The front end will need more figuring out.....what neck is on it? Set up your geometry ECT.
i need to get the frame off the ground. cleaning and painting now. just confused on what VW car im searching parts for . need brakes drums wheels and tires first. thanks

Looks like all is type 1 VW. Which is beetle, ghia.....the most common VW that was in USA.

The rear suspension in the pic is "early" IRS. I would put it 69, 70, 71....maybe some of 72 type1. What matters is it is IRS (cv joint axles). The parts are the same for them. Actually the older brakes will bolt on but will require special spacers and shims......and it is a downgrade.

That said.....if you are setting up car rear brakes to be not car rear but the primary brakes (buggy, rail, trike, ECT)....you will want to make some changes from stock car rear brakes.

The engine (could be modified into anything) looks to me a "late" 1600 dual port. Just going by the amount seeable in the pic I see a dog house cooling system (which is the best). It does not look like the last year made as that would be fuel injected. So just educated guessing ....73 to 76 type 1 1600 DP.

Now if you have major carb and distributer problems........every year had small carb and distributer changes. Keep the stock carb and distributer together.

Go to the tech tech tech thread in the stickies at the top of the VW trike page here.
It starts more in general theory and moves more into VW specific issues

Where do you live??? I'd love to volunteer, and come over to help you set this new TRIKE up so it will run.. LQQKs like a cool / fun / interesting project

Ronnie
6/10/24

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNT
Back