New engine and oil usage

Here is my oil usage story.

2020 Freewheeler with 114 motor, it was pushing oil out the breather tubes into the air filter from day one. Early on I did an external breather mod so the oil was going on the ground instead of into my throttle body. Oil level was always set no higher than half way up the normal range. ( 4 dots up from add)

I began carefully tracking it and it was pushing out a quart every 1500 to 2500 miles, constantly "marking its spot"

I Bought the Mad Monkey ventilator and plumbed that thru an S&S check valve and 3/8 hose to ground, still with the external breather mod. Now I was getting 2 spots of oil wherever I parked the bike.
frown.gif
. Consumption stayed about the same.

Along the way I did a compression test which showed great compression. Also, the bike runs great and pulls hard.

Took it to the dealer to see if they would do anything. They noted the oil level and said come back in 1500 miles. When I went back I was down almost a quart and of course they told me it was perfectly normal and within limits. Thanks for nothing HD service.

End of February comes around and my warranty is up so I ordered a 1/8 mpt by 3/8 hose barb stainless fitting, took off the transmission cover plate, drilled and tapped it, punched a couple holes in the gasket and installed a piece of hose and check valve. This completely cured the problem. 700 miles and the oil level has not moved a bit. I still have the external breather and it pukes a little oily snot from time to time but it is not pushing out oil every time I ride.

So... for me 20 bucks of materials and a little time spent has fixed a problem that was nagging at me for 17,000 miles.

I would ask for a Leak Down Test to be done. If they will not do it for free, I've told them I will pay for it, UNLESS it is less than 90%, then they pay for the test and for the repair needed to get it up to 95% plus.

That much oil being pushed thru the system is quite possibly from too much compression being pushed passed the rings, building crankcase pressure, which is then vented via the breathers.

Kevin

I would ask for a Leak Down Test to be done. If they will not do it for free, I've told them I will pay for it, UNLESS it is less than 90%, then they pay for the test and for the repair needed to get it up to 95% plus.

That much oil being pushed thru the system is quite possibly from too much compression being pushed passed the rings, building crankcase pressure, which is then vented via the breathers.

Kevin

Kevin I completely agree. I was thinking of trying that approach at my dealer but after asking 5 TIMES for the service manager to call me or to meet with me about this and never getting a call I gave up and took matters into my own hands. FWIW the service writer I was dealing with assured me multiple times that the manager would contact me.:Shrug:

I guess "stonewalling the customer" is a service dept. tactic. You can easily figure out from my location which HD dealer this is.

2020 Freewheeler with 114 motor, it was pushing oil out the breather tubes into the air filter from day one. Early on I did an external breather mod so the oil was going on the ground instead of into my throttle body. Oil level was always set no higher than half way up the normal range. ( 4 dots up from add)

I began carefully tracking it and it was pushing out a quart every 1500 to 2500 miles, constantly "marking its spot"

I Bought the Mad Monkey ventilator and plumbed that thru an S&S check valve and 3/8 hose to ground, still with the external breather mod. Now I was getting 2 spots of oil wherever I parked the bike.
frown.gif

Along the way I did a compression test which showed great compression. Also, the bike runs great and pulls hard.

Took it to the dealer to see if they would do anything. They noted the oil level and said come back in 1500 miles. When I went back I was down almost a quart and of course they told me it was perfectly normal and within limits. Thanks for nothing HD service.

End of February comes around and my warranty is up so I ordered a 1/8 mpt by 3/8 hose barb stainless fitting, took off the transmission cover plate, drilled and tapped it, punched a couple holes in the gasket and installed a piece of hose and check valve. This completely cured the problem. 700 miles and the oil level has not moved a bit. I still have the external breather and it pukes a little oily snot from time to time but it is not pushing out oil every time I ride.

So... for me 20 bucks of materials and a little time spent has fixed a problem that was nagging at me for 17,000 miles.

Just a question: The transmission is in no way connected to the engine oil, they are two separate systems, how would venting the transmission affect the engine oil consumption? Thanks for any explanation as I am not understanding it.

Just a question: The transmission is in no way connected to the engine oil, they are two separate systems, how would venting the transmission affect the engine oil consumption? Thanks for any explanation as I am not understanding it.

If you look inside the top of the transmission you will see the oil return passage, there is a return and a vent passage. By using the aftermarket kits you can vent the crankcase into the proper passage in the tranny to relieve the excess crankcase pressures that cause the oil to pump like mad out the head breather bolts= sharply higher oil usage

Watch this video it shows the inside of the tranny

https://shop.traskperformance.com/products/check-m8-vented-trans-top-cover

If you look inside the top of the transmission you will see the oil return passage, there is a return and a vent passage. By using the aftermarket kits you can vent the crankcase into the proper passage in the tranny to relieve the excess crankcase pressures that cause the oil to pump like mad out the head breather bolts= sharply higher oil usage

That is not quite correct. The so called transmission cover covers 3 separate cavities in the casting. The one on rider's right is a chamber with passageways to the cam chest and to the oil pan or sump. This cavity is completely isolated from the transmission. Venting this cavity to atmosphere (not to the tranny) relieves crankcase pressure and for me eliminated 99% of my oil "carryover or puking.

The Trask Check-M8 does this but an inexpensive DIY does the exact same thing.

That is not quite correct. The so called transmission cover covers 3 separate cavities in the casting. The one on rider's right is a chamber with passageways to the cam chest and to the oil pan or sump. This cavity is completely isolated from the transmission. Venting this cavity to atmosphere (not to the tranny) relieves crankcase pressure and for me eliminated 99% of my oil "carryover or puking.

The Trask Check-M8 does this but an inexpensive DIY does the exact same thing.

Thanks for the correction and you are correct, I got a head of myself

HD should have known this and corrected it when they vented the primary IMO

Another on going problem with the M8 engines, that can be easily fixed;)

From Trask,

TRASK PERFORMANCE CheckM8™ vented transmission top cover reduces excessive crankcase breather pressure issue on Harley-Davidson M8 engines.

• Available in Black or Chrome finish
  • Reduce or even eliminate the oil coming from the head breathers on your M8.
  • Machined from Billet Aluminum with a Boyesen one-way reed valve to vent the excessive crankcase pressure.

Jack, thanks that explains it, did not know there was a cavity there that moved air from the crankcase to the oil tank. Much appreciated.

Another couple of 400 mile runs and oil usage checked and documented by dealer, about 800 miles and a little over a quart of use. The bike is in the shop for a series of tests, compression, leakdown and a scope, hope to know more first part of next week. Lol, can't really ride right now anyway, it just turned to our semi-annual love bug season. It's just not worth a 3 hour ride and take another 3 hours to clean the bike.

Another couple of 400 mile runs and oil usage checked and documented by dealer, about 800 miles and a little over a quart of use. The bike is in the shop for a series of tests, compression, leakdown and a scope, hope to know more first part of next week. Lol, can't really ride right now anyway, it just turned to our semi-annual love bug season. It's just not worth a 3 hour ride and take another 3 hours to clean the bike.

Love bugs suck big time, Gary, I hope they find your problem and get it fixed right quick

Let us know

Yes, keep us posted on what’s going on. It will be very interesting to know what they find out. Sorry you have to go through all this frustration.

frown.gif

too bad you don’t have some pictures of how you drilled all that stuff and tapped it. Looks like that cured your problem

I installed the Trask cover and cant really tell any difference performance wise but thats probably a good thing. My OEM cover is metal- well at least a magnet sticks to it. HD has a long history of forcing owners to finish the R&D on its motors. Heck the Shovelhead is still a work in progress and people are making a nice living upgrading those motors.

Bill, they called me this evening just before 6 PM, we were eating out in a noisy restaurant and didn't hear the phone ringing. They left a message and said to call in the morning and they'll talk to me about what the mother ship said.

I'll pick the trike up on Monday, it's thunder storming right now so will have to wait till then to see the work sheets.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back