New engine and oil usage

Dealer has been great Jack, no run around at all, it's the Mothership that has to be dealt with in steps. Ok, here' s the rundown on the tests that were run:

Compression test:

Front - 150 psi

Rear - 145 psi

Leak Down test:

Front - 5%

Rear - 3%

Crankshaft Position Sensor removal - 2 oz of oil came out ----- Maximum of 6 oz allowed

Air cleaner is good to go, no goop in it

No leaks can be found anywhere

Exhaust pipes are not oily or overly dirty

Conclusion, no one seems to know, lol. Per HD, they refilled oil to correct level and I have to go back in 500 miles, I don't have a problem with that so we'll see what happens the next time

Those numbers look good, I sure wonder where that much oil is going?

I hope it can be figured out for you, that sure is a pretty Trike you have

Did they check the primary fluid level?

It is rare, but it does happen that the main seal can fail and let oil from the engine into the primary.

Kevin

Its funny you would mention the crankshaft oil seal, when HD had to fix my oil migration issue they installed a new crank seal. I wasnt sure what this had to do with the trans migration issue:confused:

Its funny you would mention the crankshaft oil seal, when HD had to fix my oil migration issue they installed a new crank seal. I wasnt sure what this had to do with the trans migration issue:confused:

When crank seal is compromised the vacuum from the engine cooling down can increase the vacuum in the primary, which can pull fluid from the transmission.

Kevin

After another 500 miles and it was down another quart, Corporate finally authorized the dealership to tear the top end down. Just got a phone call after hours today that they found some problems, I remember our guy said something about the rings and another part I hadn't heard of. We're going to stop in the dealer on Monday and get the full report, they took photos and forwarded them to the Mothership, we shall see.

Our dealer at New Port Richey Harley have been great, the main problem has been headquarters getting back to them in a timely manner. They are not happy with the way this has been handled, will keep everyone up to date when we find out more on Monday.

Some rings were installed wrong, they're going to check the cylinders real well and order new if needed, now to wait and see if there is any part shortages. Sad looking bike with the engine tore down, lol.

Some rings were installed wrong, they're going to check the cylinders real well and order new if needed, now to wait and see if there is any part shortages. Sad looking bike with the engine tore down, lol.

Wow! Crazy to have to go through all that Gary for how much they want for a CVO TriGlide!

I hope you get new cylinders and pistons, I hope they check the piston oiling jets also

Sad that it wasn’t set perfectly… you think you buy something nice and some crap like this happens, unfortunately it happens to all manufacturers.

Yeah, parts are on the way, no need for new pistons or jugs, they have been thoroughly examined with no wear or scoring, I saw the reports and pictures.

On another note I just wondered if the rings are hand fitted or maybe by robotics from a stack, my dealer didn't know either.

Yeah, parts are on the way, no need for new pistons or jugs, they have been thoroughly examined with no wear or scoring, I saw the reports and pictures.

On another note I just wondered if the rings are hand fitted or maybe by robotics from a stack, my dealer didn't know either.

Usually done by hand with a ring compressor. Anyway that’s how I did it on my VW Beetle..1970’s. My son just did a piston and head on his ATV and used a ring compressor..

They say the rings are installed wrong ? so shouldn't all this oil be in the exhaust system ? if not were is it ? No new Jugs or Piston's ? They check the cylinders real good, Hay Billy these Cylinders look good to you They sure Do Bobby change that ring that was upside down We will fill this thing with STP till Hes out of warranty. Thats Harley repair as cheapest as possible, if that dont work then your down for another couple of months . GOOD LUCK Sorry been there before :xzqxz:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back