Is There a Bad Year?

Hey all. Is there a particular "not so good" year for the Goldwing? We're looking for a GW Trike and are liking the look of the CSC. We both ride HDs and are going to be getting rid of them for a GW trike. There are some years of some models that just aren't as great as others. Just wondering if that holds true for the GW or not. :xzqxz:

Hey all. Is there a particular "not so good" year for the Goldwing? We're looking for a GW Trike and are liking the look of the CSC. We both ride HDs and are going to be getting rid of them for a GW trike. There are some years of some models that just aren't as great as others. Just wondering if that holds true for the GW or not. :xzqxz:

I understand that Honda will not work on anything 10 years or older. They just cut everyone off. I ride a HD because of that situation. Rode Goldwings from 1978 to 2016. If I was to buy one now, I would stay with 1800 and buy a late model, with extended warranty.

Not much difference in the 1800 Goldwings. Except, 2006 and newer have bigger radiators and fans to help mitigate heat at slow speeds. All are as bulletproof as any motorcycle can be. Chances are there will be transmission issues (mostly caused by riders) before any motor problems occur.

Seems there was a recall for cracked frames on the 1983 GL1800’s.. maybe more years??

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

I had a 2008 GL1800 Motor Trike Adventure trike.. loved that thing.. never ever once failed me in any way.

Husband had a 2008 GL1800 Lehman Monarch II. Very nice trike kit but they don’t make them anymore and some parts were proprietary… nothing ever failed but sold it before it needed parts.

Do your homework before you jump on a good deal… many people come on this forum having bought a good deal then ask where to find parts, get service on the trike kit, etc.. only to be told the company is out of business.. good luck.

If I were buying again I would stick with a late model GL1800 with a California Side Car, Motor Trike, Roadsmith, or maybe Hannigan trike kit…

Let us know what you decide.

p.s. The independent Rear Suspension (IRS) is a more comfortable ride for your passenger rather than a solid axle.

It was the 2001-2002 GL1800's that had the cracked frame recall. Newer models have been ok.

IMHO, I would stick with at least a 2006+ for the reason that @cScjhb mentions because of the larger radiators. Earlier models had overheating problems because the cooling system wasn't quite adequate at slower speeds. Another thing to keep in mind us the 2001-2005 had a lot of problems with the ADG (alternator drive gear?) breaking and the repair involved quite a bit off disassembly of motor to repair. That was supposedly corrected with new style in 2006+. Also 2006+ alternators had a greater output of power. Now if you are considering having one with navigation, then you really need to look at the 2012-2017 as the 2006-2008 systems are obsolete with no further factory updates as well as a size limitation on the data in the Compact Flash card. The 2009+ US models began using SD cards and were "better" systems. The 2012-2017 had an even "better" system. Many consider the factory navigation worthless but it does have its place and the best choice on that is like I mentioned, 2012-2017. The 2012-2017 also had updated gearing in the transmission and are not supposed to suffer from the "ghost shifting" as much as some of the earlier years might experience.

Hopefully you find some of this helpful. But if I was to be looking for a replacement for my 2007, I would definitely go with a 2012-2017 based on all the reasons I posted above. And my preference would actually be a 2015 two tone red anniversary model as I like the color scheme. I'm not completely sold on the 2018+ DCT models but might consider a manual one. And if I did, I would lean towards a 2021+ because of the bigger trunk space.

Dunktrike - welcome. You have received quite a bit of great information. I would just say continue to do your research and buy what you like.

Having said that, I would like to offer something else for you to consider. First, you mentioned that you are both riding Harleys - what model and what year?

Next, it sounds like you are going to sell both - and get just one GW trike - actually, that is exactly what my wife and I did. We had a set of Wings - I had the 2 wheeler and she had a Motortrike. When the kids "left us", we sold them both and moved to Harley.

Here it what you might want to consider - how much are you planning to pay for the GW trike". Let's say you find a nice one for $30K. Depending on your Harleys, say you get $30K from the sale of both - then, you break even.

Now look at this...take the better Harley, especially

if it is a nice Ultra in great shape. Send that to CSC and have then install the trike. Mine cost me just around $18K - and included all I wanted - thinks like a 11deg rake, floorboards, reverse gear, lights, etc.

Enjoy whatever you do. Please come back for questions. Lots of great guys here

kAY6FK9.jpg

T9tv5vn.jpg

Frame cracks were 2001-2003

It was the 2001-2002 GL1800's that had the cracked frame recall. Newer models

have been ok.

IMHO, I would stick with at least a 2006+ for the reason that @cScjhb mentions because of the larger radiators. Earlier models had overheating problems because the cooling system wasn't quite adequate at slower speeds. Another thing to keep in mind us the 2001-2005 had a lot of problems with the ADG (alternator drive gear?) breaking and the repair involved quite a bit off disassembly of motor to repair. That was supposedly corrected with new style in 2006+. Also 2006+ alternators had a greater output of power. Now if you are considering having one with navigation, then you really need to look at the 2012-2017 as the 2006-2008 systems are obsolete with no further factory updates as well as a size limitation on the data in the Compact Flash card. The 2009+ US models began using SD cards and were "better" systems. The 2012-2017 had an even "better" system. Many consider the factory navigation worthless but it does have its place and the best choice on that is like I mentioned, 2012-2017. The 2012-2017 also had updated gearing in the transmission and are not supposed to suffer from the "ghost shifting" as much as some of the earlier years might experience.

Hopefully you find some of this helpful. But if I was to be looking for a replacement for my 2007, I would definitely go with a 2012-2017 based on all the reasons I posted above. And my preference would actually be a 2015 two tone red anniversary model as I like the color scheme. I'm not completely sold on the 2018+ DCT models but might consider a manual one. And if I did, I would lean towards a 2021+ because of the bigger trunk space.

It was the 2001-2002 GL1800's that had the cracked frame recall. Newer models have been fine.

One small correction here:

To address concerns regarding cracked frames, American Honda issued a safety recall for 2002 and 2003 GL1800 Gold Wing motorcycles in 2003. (Quote from Honda)

I have an elderly 2001 and it has been inspected and is fine, I took a chance on it because it’s a one owner Goldwing and has had proper maintenance through the years and is in wonderful condition. (all docs came with it), (also the price) I’m the second owner. Although that said, I doubt you’ll want one that old. I’m old so I figured a good match.

I understand that Honda will not work on anything 10 years or older.

Also mine is now being looked after by my local Honda dealer without issue. This appears to be a dealer issue not a Honda issue. I’ve had absolutely no issue getting parts for my 22 year old either, they’re readily available.

Also mine is now being looked after by my local Honda dealer without issue. This appears to be a dealer issue not a Honda issue. I’ve had absolutely no issue getting parts for my 22 year old either, they’re readily available.

Your one of the luck ones.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back