My Turn - Pan Hard Rod Heim Joints Gone Bad

hydraglide

150+ Posts
Dec 5, 2021
Woodridge,Il USA
Guess it was just a matter of time after researching this issue.

Had my 21' Tri Glide in for 25K service the other day and the Master Tech at my local HD Dealership brought me into the shop and demonstrated (by shaking the back end side to side) a squeak and clunking noise. It was driving him nuts (which I appreciate)... and upon hunting it down he found it to be the Pan Hard Rod assembly.

I've heard the squeak really only when getting on or off my trike and it didn't concern me, but the clunking noise was quite evident as well. He said the joints were really rusty as well... which is really weird, since only this summer did I hit rainy riding of any significance (truth, a lot of rain, but rust within 6 months? ...Really?).

Seems to be a weak spot in Tri Glide design (part manufacturing, essentially). I was familiar with this issue since I follow this forum regularly and told my tech there are alternatives to having to be stuck using the factory heim joints. Since this will be submitted as a warranty claim, the dealership had to order a new Pan Hard Rod assembly (typical MC... you have to purchase the entire assembly when two 12$ parts will do.

The plan is to have the labor covered under warranty and install these replacement heim joints and locking nuts by QS Components in place of the factory crap. https://www.qscomponents.com/search?q= 4005755906

As I've researched, two RH thread heim joints are what is needed, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Any of my fellow Tri Glider's out there have any user feedback on these heim joints? (Like... are how they are performing/lasting, etc?).

I plan on also replacing the axle bearing retaining plates with DK's beefy replacements, because without even looking, and with the Pan Hard Rod so sloppy, I have to believe that this slop has put undue stress on the stock wheel bearing plates to the point I'm willing to bet a buck they're warped to some degree.

Seems to me that having the Pan Hard Assembly going bad isn't a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Guess it was just a matter of time after researching this issue.

Had my 21' Tri Glide in for 25K service the other day and the Master Tech at my local HD Dealership brought me into the shop and demonstrated (by shaking the back end side to side) a squeak and clunking noise. It was driving him nuts (which I appreciate)... and upon hunting it down he found it to be the Pan Hard Rod assembly.

I've heard the squeak really only when getting on or off my trike and it didn't concern me, but the clunking noise was quite evident as well. He said the joints were really rusty as well... which is really weird, since only this summer did I hit rainy riding of any significance (truth, a lot of rain, but rust within 6 months? ...Really?).

Seems to be a weak spot in Tri Glide design (part manufacturing, essentially). I was familiar with this issue since I follow this forum regularly and told my tech there are alternatives to having to be stuck using the factory heim joints. Since this will be submitted as a warranty claim, the dealership had to order a new Pan Hard Rod assembly (typical MC... you have to purchase the entire assembly when two 12$ parts will do.

The plan is to have the labor covered under warranty and install these replacement heim joints and locking nuts by QS Components in place of the factory crap. https://www.qscomponents.com/search?q= 4005755906

As I've researched, two RH thread heim joints are what is needed, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Any of my fellow Tri Glider's out there have any user feedback on these heim joints? (Like... are how they are performing/lasting, etc?).

I plan on also replacing the axle bearing retaining plates with DK's beefy replacements, because without even looking, and with the Pan Hard Rod so sloppy, I have to believe that this slop has put undue stress on the stock wheel bearing plates to the point I'm willing to bet a buck they're warped to some degree.

Seems to me that having the Pan Hard Assembly going bad isn't a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Hmmm, something to look at on my TG.

It seems the luck of the draw on the pan hard rod heim joints.

Out of 3 Tri Glides, I have only had them go bad on one of them. Good to hear you are replacing them with some quality units.

I thought they had gone out on a second one, but the clunking I was hearing was not the pan hard rod, it was the axle bearing retainer plates. Good to hear you are going to replace those too. If you have a chance to get photos of the stock retainer plates, would be great if you could email them to Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Attention Kevin. I would like to see what they look like on a TG that had the heim joints go bad.

Kevin

Out of 3 Tri Glides, I have only had them go bad on one of them. Good to hear you are replacing them with some quality units.

I thought they had gone out on a second one, but the clunking I was hearing was not the pan hard rod, it was the axle bearing retainer plates. Good to hear you are going to replace those too. If you have a chance to get photos of the stock retainer plates, would be great if you could email them to Support@DKCustomProducts.com, Attention Kevin. I would like to see what they look like on a TG that had the heim joints go bad.

Kevin

Kevin - thanks for your reply.

I will photograph everything once removed (plan is to do this all over the winter).

I will email the results to you. I suspect the axle bearing retainer plates will no longer be true.

Quick question… just confirming… both Heim joints are right hand threads, correct?

Thanks again!

Ron

I thought they had gone out on a second one, but the clunking I was hearing was not the pan hard rod, it was the axle bearing retainer plates. Good to hear you are going to replace those too. If you have a chance to get photos of the stock retainer plates, would be great if you could email them to Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Attention Kevin. I would like to see what they look like on a TG that had the heim joints go bad.

Kevin

Hi Kevin - Email sent with pics. I look forward to your thoughts. I will follow up here with all the findings after you take a look...

Thanks in advance for everything!

Hi Kevin - Email sent with pics. I look forward to your thoughts. I will follow up here with all the findings after you take a look...

Thanks in advance for everything!

Sorry I missed your posts.

We did receive your email and I've responded to it.

Sounds like you have things well in hand getting the Panhard rod and the HD Bearing retainer plates with new bearings taken care of.

We appreciate your business.

Wishing you many more miles of smiles on your ride!

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back