Honda gl1200 overcharging

Mar 1, 2021
Morgan Hill
My gl1200 was charging at almost 17 volts, melting wires, looked at an alternator conversion (too much hacking) here is my fix, new battery $80.00, wiring stator kit from electrical conections. ( they know there stuff) $50.00, new HD voltage regulator (online parts house) $135.00. now charges around 14 volts with all the lights on and no hot wires.:)

Nice job. Isn't the one where you have to remove the engine to get to the stator? Back in the day I remember you could get a kit to put an GM alternator on the exterior. I like your work around better.

Symptoms of a bad regulator/rectifier. The GL1200 with the charging system buried in the back of the engine not a fun job. The system that used the external alternator was the 'Poor Boy' conversion. I don't know if the individual still makes the parts for the system any more.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back