Hip Replacement

Had my right hip replaced in Dec. '05(at the young age of 51) and was back on the trike when the snow cleared in late March-April, riding much more comfortably ever since. I would encourage you to "hit the swimming pool" once your incision fully heals. I found just walking in the pool and the resistance the water created made the muscles recover faster. No regrets and would do it again tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement. Have appointment in beginning of Nov. (10).
How long after first exam was the surgery? Any prep, exercises, etc.

honey had her hip partially replaced . No socket just the ball portion, Had it done in Late July will be driving lane November. Other complications but said no pain what so ever with the hip from day one . Could not lift leg more than 90 deg for 6 weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement. Have appointment in beginning of Nov. (10).
How long after first exam was the surgery? Any prep, exercises, etc.

Joe, the surgeon acknowledged the need for surgery on the first visit then left it up to me when I wanted to have it. Basically when "you can't handle the pain anymore" get the surgery, were his instructions. So I chose to have mine during the winter months, so I would be ready to ride in the spring. Only prep was a pre-physical from my regular physician.

There are three basic rules to follow immediately after the surgery, 1) don't cross your legs (while lying in bed or sitting on a chair), 2) don't twist at the hip (while standing) and 3)don't sit at a 90 degree angle. Make sure you follow these rules for the first month or two. Had a friend that thought he could do more than the doctor said to do and "dislocated" the new hip. He described that as the worst pain he every had. Basic rule of thumb is "follow the doctor's orders", nothing more and nothing less. Good luck.

Joe, the surgeon acknowledged the need for surgery on the first visit then left it up to me when I wanted to have it. Basically when "you can't handle the pain anymore" get the surgery, were his instructions. So I chose to have mine during the winter months, so I would be ready to ride in the spring. Only prep was a pre-physical from my regular physician.

There are three basic rules to follow immediately after the surgery, 1) don't cross your legs (while lying in bed or sitting on a chair), 2) don't twist at the hip (while standing) and 3)don't sit at a 90 degree angle. Make sure you follow these rules for the first month or two. Had a friend that thought he could do more than the doctor said to do and "dislocated" the new hip. He described that as the worst pain he every had. Basic rule of thumb is "follow the doctor's orders", nothing more and nothing less. Good luck.

Thanks, great info. Pain wakes me up and walks are never to long. :(

We just got back from a 6 week RV trip to most of the national parks in Arizona and Utah. It was a 20 caravan Winnebago group. One of the ladies from Rhode Island had both hips replaced 5 weeks before the trip and was able to do all of the caravan including all the walking, etc and hikes without a problem ... I think she is the norm ... good luck.

Golfing fanatic friend of mine had a hip replacement done aound '92. He was in his early 60's at the time. 4 months after surgery we were playing a round up in Raleigh and he was firing away on every swing. He turned to me after one great shot and told "If I'd known the surgery was going to knock 4 strokes off my handicap I'd have had it done ten years ago". Trouble was that he was only a 6 handicap before the surgery.

Good luck with your decision and definitely follow the doctor's orders.

Cal

When I was a young paramedic, in school, I had to watch a total hip replacement. Very interesting to watch. Although I thought this guy was gonna have a LOOONG recovery from what I witnessed, he was up and loving it in just days! Other than the surery pain, he was enjoying total relief from the usual pain. Prayers for a quick heal-up, and best wishes all around! jimsjinx

Not from personal experience Joe but I'm told to get a surgeon who has done "lots" of hip surgeries. Even if you have to travel to get to the very best surgeon, do it. Best of luck Joe.

Not from personal experience Joe but I'm told to get a surgeon who has done "lots" of hip surgeries. Even if you have to travel to get to the very best surgeon, do it. Best of luck Joe.

That's all this Dr does. I have talked with others that have heard of his work and come highly recommended.

I have three personal Friends here locally that have had hip replacements, one is on an Aero 750 Trike, the other two are still on Cruisers. Both had Harley Electra Glides originally, but have moved down to lighter Bikes. One has a Honda 750 Aero, the other a Vulcan 900.....so far, all are doin' fine.....:wtg:.....and a word on the "Nana, Mini-Ninja Thing".....I was 6'2" when I arrived at the TRIKE TALK Rally In The Valley III this year...got kicked in both shins, had operations, and am now only 5'7".....Be Careful Out There Folks, Ya' never know.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have three personal Friends here locally that have had hip replacements, one is on an Aero 750 Trike, the other two are still on Cruisers. Both had Harley Electra Glides originally, but have moved down to lighter Bikes. One has a Honda 750 Aero, the other a Vulcan 900.....so far, all are doin' fine.....:wtg:.....and a word on the "Nana, Mini-Ninja Thing".....I was 6'2" when I arrived at the TRIKE TALK Rally In The Valley III this year...got kicked in both shins, had operations, and am now only 5'7".....Be Careful Out There Folks, Ya' never know.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just be thankful I was only tall enough to hurt you from the knees down, skuuter! ;)

Up Date;

Surgeon doesn't think my hip needs replacing. He brought in a spinal surgeon and he believes it's in my back (L4-L5). Another MRI and we'll talk some more in a few weeks.
Gave me an anti inflammatory Rx and that's why it's 2:30 in the AM and I'm still up.
Not a happy camper right now.

Smoken JOE, I had my right hip replaced Nov. 04 and I ride and do just about anything I want too.Usually with a replacement the cartliage is worn out from arthitis or an accident with the hip.Where is your pain? The hip joint is in your groin and that's where my pain was.However our bodies sometimes have referring pain in places and the cause is somewhere else.I hope your Dr. finds the cause and can help you.Good luck, Ken

Joe, hope that you get relief soon, and that it does not involve major surgery. What a great looking ride ya got there. Sharp for sure.

Honey is going for a trike ride on Sunday Woo Woo:)
For those that don't know , she had a kidney removed June 29th and a hip replacement July 15th

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back