Headset/Radio Problem

Aug 2, 2009
Castle Rock, CO
Hi all. My wifes trike 2008 GW1800 radio worked fine until about a month ago. The radio,AUX, etc. work through the external speakers but not through the helmet speakers. I'd like to get at the connectors at the radio to see if they have somehow worked loose. But I don't know how to get the cover off the radio. I have always done my own work on my other bikes but this GoldWing plastic has me puzzled. Does anyone on here have any suggestions or can point me to a site for help removing the plastic? Or should I just breakdown and get the service manual. Thanks. Ted

Hi all. My wifes trike 2008 GW1800 radio worked fine until about a month ago. The radio,AUX, etc. work through the external speakers but not through the helmet speakers. I'd like to get at the connectors at the radio to see if they have somehow worked loose. But I don't know how to get the cover off the radio. I have always done my own work on my other bikes but this GoldWing plastic has me puzzled. Does anyone on here have any suggestions or can point me to a site for help removing the plastic? Or should I just breakdown and get the service manual. Thanks. Ted

Is it the Front/Rider's Plug in...?...if so, there is one connection that can be reached by removing the left glove box. It has four plastic push pins holding it. The wires are not color coded the same either on the two connectors, but the plug will match. This may not be Your issue, but I had this disconnect about six months after buying an 08 Gold Wing, and it's the most accessable (still kinda' under the radio panel, but can be seen/reached).....:)

I removed the shelter and made sure the connectors were solidly seated. Also did the battery disconnect, turn key on for 20/30 seconds. Then turn key off and reconnect battery. Run bike a couple of miles to see if it resets the radio. Problem is still there.

I did get a callback from APEX Motorcycle in Colorado Springs, Co. Set the appointment for July 23.

Fay Myers in Denver, Co has still not contacted me. I sent them two requests for service. Guess there really busy. It's been 6 days.

I'll post the final resalution when I get it fixed.

Rear plug dead also ? did u try different head set , did u try your head set on a different bike . Did u check all fuses. 1500 has #13 fuse that effects Vol of head set radio .

Update. Scheduled service for July 23rd - soonest they could get to it. They did say that if I could leave it with them they might be able to fit it in. So I dropped the bike off July 2nd. I told them to perform the 8000 mile check-up and to see if they could locate the ("bolts in a tin can noise" which increases when going around a bend to the right. Checked on the progress a couple of times. "they hadn't got to it yet".

On the 23rd they called to say the bike was done; except for the radio. I went down to the dealer and was told that the radio was a problem and that they would have to send to Honda for the "test" radio to determine if it was the top or bottom or whole unit that needed to be replaced. Once that was done then they would order the part. That would take an additional week to 10 days unless I wanted to pay for overnite.

Told them I'd probably bring it back when our riding time in Colorado slows down Jan or Feb. As far as the noise goes; they said they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I rode the bike home and sure enough the noise was still there. I'll take it to the trike installer next.

So The radio was the first problem, not fixed. The noise was the second problem, not fixed. The 8000 mile check up was done.

Summary: NO WARRANTY WAS DONE! I'm a little displeased. Is it normal to have to strugle to get a dealer to do warranty stuff?:( :mad:

Thanks for the information John. One needs to be careful when buying radios. It's important to check what frequencies the unit will broadcast. I've seen units for sale on ebay that don't cover the American FM stations fully.

Resolutions. Took my bike into Fay Myers to have the noise and radio looked into. They said the radio was in fact defective. They also heard the noise I was asking them to look into and did what they could to resolve but a little noise was still there. As I mentioned on an earlier post, Randy in Ft Collins resolved the noise. Fay Myers said it would take 6 to eight weeks to repair the radio. I dropped the bike off at the "end" of our riding season here in Colorado; December. Two weeks later they called and said it was done. The weather was cold but ridable so I went to pi it up. FIXED UNDER WARRANTY!! NO CHARGE. Thanks FAY MYERS! I've since put 5000 miles on the trike and it's been just fine. Even took it to Pheonix AZ. Great ride, no problems.:pepper:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back