Head Buffeting

Nov 27, 2013
SC USA
My BOB (Baby-on-Back) has been riding with me since we were 15 years old. She is now 29 and holding. She has me well trained so I will not say how old she would be if she lets go. About 20 years ago she had a disk removed from her neck and a metal plate installed in its place. On windy days and longer rides the buffeting can cause her neck to hurt. Our 2012 GW with a Motor Trike Razor conversion does not have any additional wind protection. I was thinking about Trike-wings, Kuryakyn Dragon wings, a head rest and maybe a better windshield. We use full face helmets and are also thinking about a lighter helmet. A safe helmet is more important that a lighter one since we are losing enough brain cells as it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also thank you, thank you to the veteran on this site that are always sharing their knowledge. You are worth your weight in gold. And for those of us that love banana pudding that's a lot of gold.

Both of my 1800's had wind wings on them when I got them, so when I took a 2010 out for a test ride, that didn't have any on it, it was one of those Oh... Wow..., it does make a difference moments.

I would start with the wind wings. I have the Show Chrome on mine, but I hear good things about Baker also. If after the wings, you still think there is room for improvement then look at the windscreen. I am still running the OEM windscreen.

Best of Luck!

Razor we have a full set of wind wings on our 2012 GW and that keeps a lot of the air off of the copilot. They also shed quite a bit of rain and can be turned in for added air movement on the really hot days. I installed the F4+4 and it eliminated most of the head buffeting for her. The down side to the taller fixed shield is, unless your over 6' tall, you're going to be looking through the shield.

The down side to the taller fixed shield is, unless your over 6' tall, you're going to be looking through the shield.
Looking through is not a "down side" to me! Mine is a +4 tinted. Just like looking through the windshield of my cage!
As for night riding, it cuts the glare from on coming vehicles that obvious could not pass the FMVSS requirements for glare into the on-coming lanes. But, that's another story for an old retired GM exterior lighting employee!

I have the Baker hand wings and trike wings, the hand wings helped with some of the wind. Once I triked it I installed the trike wings and the wife said they helped take more of the wind away.

I would suggest starting with Baker trike wings. Got them on my Motor Trike. They move a lot of air out and away from the rear fenders. That would also be the least expensive of the three options mentioned.

Razor we have a full set of wind wings on our 2012 GW and that keeps a lot of the air off of the copilot. They also shed quite a bit of rain and can be turned in for added air movement on the really hot days. I installed the F4+4 and it eliminated most of the head buffeting for her. The down side to the taller fixed shield is, unless your over 6' tall, you're going to be looking through the shield.
This is my experience as well - full Baker set - lower trike wings as well as the F4+4. My wife and I are just riding from Houston to Phoenix and encountered two days of high wind - gusts to 50 MPH - one day a head wind and the second day quartering from the rear. We wear full face Nolan 104's.
She used to be troubled by buffeting on the two wheel 1800 but says this is so much better and completely tolerable!

:GL1800::GL1800::GL1800::GL1800:

On our trike we have the full set of Baker wings - Trike Wings in front of the feet, upper and lower Wind Wings in front of the knees and Hand Wings under the mirrors. We have a National Cycle V Stream windshield that came with the trike and it seems to smooth out the airflow and lessen buffeting. When we had the 1500 we had a tall Tulsa, Gloria said that there was less air hitting her but buffeting was greater. On that trike we had the Wind Wings, and I added the Hand Wings. Gloria said they made a huge difference in the air that hit her.
Kuryakyn makes a rear windscreen that goes just behind the passenger. It is supposed to cut down on the wind that blows on the co-rider. Never have had one or ridden a bike with it on so I can't comment on it's effictiveness.

Thanks for all your advice. I ordered the Baker Trike wings and hand wings to get things started. The Trike wing description says it will improve gas mileage. I'm getting 34-36 now so we will see if that is correct. I'll give every one an update after the first couple of tanks of gas.
The next step may be a better windshield. I'm 5' 10" and BOB is 5" 4". With the stock windshield all the way up the top of the shield is about at eye level to me. I saw an add for a windshield that was contoured. They claimed it was wind tunnel designed to deflect air and water. I'm not sure where I saw the add or what the name of it was. It may have just been a gimmick. I plan on doing the Wise thing and following the advice I get from you guys.
I'm heading to the dealer in the morning to get the rear bumper installed. When I had the trike kit installed the bumper was not available. The dealer volunteered to give the trike a quick inspection to make sure all the nuts and bolts are still tight. I'm really impressed with the dealer so far. The owner was the director of the Space shuttle program before he retired and opened Cherokee Trikes with his son. He stayed late the night I brought the GW in for the trike install and ask if I wanted to come buy and take pictures while they were installing the Razor kit.

New generation Baker Hand Wings.
New generation Baker Adjustable Air Wings With Lowers.

They make a difference winter or summer. You can have both top protection and light weight in helmet but it cost money!

RiverDoc

I ordered the Baker Trike wings and Hand wings from genesgallery.com. It doe not say New Generation on their site. Is there a difference if it does not say New Generation? They look the same.

I have all the Baker wind wings on my trike along with the F4+4.
My wife also had neck surgery 4 years ago.
If it's windy, she wears a foam horse collar around her neck, then puts her full face helmet on.
Sure helps her.

I went to the Baker Built web site and the New Generation products are an improvement over the original. It looks like the new generation air wings mounting holes are drilled through the trim.

My dealer recommended the plastic shield behind the passenger. I've read from a couple of people that they bought one and took it back off. I think these were on 2 wheelers. It might work better when installed with the trike wings.

I really like what I've read about the F4 +4 wind shield. My dealer said they installed one and a year later it had hundreds of micro cracks all over it. Is there anyone with any long term experience with the F4 +4.

The foam neck brace sounds helpful.

Have an Original F4+4 that is 5 years old, no problems and no craze cracks... was told long ago that their product does not do that. Also just sent them (2 months ago) my Center Console boat windshield that was all craze cracked, received new one an identical match. Just a great company. <a href="https://www.f4customs.com/index.php" target="_blank">https://www.f4customs.com/index.php</a> ask for Frank... He's at Daytona right now....

Mine is 7 years old. Still perfect. I have the F4+ 4. I used it to replace the tall Tulsa... Banged my head on it too many times. With the F4 +4 my wife can actually smoke at 45 MPH. I have upper and lower Baker wings also.

Schuberth C3 Pro will be lightweight and give great protection, but bring your wallet as they run about $800 each... I've had good luck with the Nolan N43 Trilogy- lightweight, great view through the visor and with the chinbar installed it meets euro specs for full face helmets. The brand new N44 is supposed to be an improved version that is even better. Wife and I love ours.

My BOB (Baby-on-Back) has been riding with me since we were 15 years old. She is now 29 and holding. She has me well trained so I will not say how old she would be if she lets go. About 20 years ago she had a disk removed from her neck and a metal plate installed in its place. On windy days and longer rides the buffeting can cause her neck to hurt. Our 2012 GW with a Motor Trike Razor conversion does not have any additional wind protection. I was thinking about Trike-wings, Kuryakyn Dragon wings, a head rest and maybe a better windshield. We use full face helmets and are also thinking about a lighter helmet. A safe helmet is more important that a lighter one since we are losing enough brain cells as it is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also thank you, thank you to the veteran on this site that are always sharing their knowledge.

You are worth your weight in gold. And for those of us that love banana pudding that's a lot of gold.

I also have neck problems and bought a much lighter helmet than my modular and it made a huge difference.

Ozark Rider is right on...........Kuryakyn makes a rear windscreen that goes just behind the passenger. It is supposed to cut down on the wind that blows on the co-rider. Never have had one or ridden a bike with it on so I can't comment on it's effictiveness....................................................................
We added one to our first trike and it helped Becky's head bobble greatly. When we bought our new trike that was the first thing Becky asked about. They sure don't make a fashion statement but they work.

Last edited:
I tried the Kury rear wind screen and it didn't work for us. Also, our cover didn't fit.
I sent it back and got a refund.
I have all the Baker wind wings and a F4+4 windshield. That combo works the best.
Do the foam neck collar and she will be very happy with it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back