Harley 103 motor engineered to self destruct ?

A guy on You Tube going by the handle of tomcata 1467 posted a couple of disturbing videos about the twin cam 103 motors.
I would attach the videos but I'm a bit computer challenged, if you have some time go to You Tube an take a look and tell me
what you think. I'm kind of concerned being I just bought a 2016 tri glide ultra not to long ago.

Thanks, Bob

Gee the 103 came out in 2007 on the police bikes. cops bash the stuffing out of vehicles. and yet the motor is still around. I ran mine 65k with S & S 310G cams. The new owner is still running her.

A guy on You Tube going by the handle of tomcata 1467 posted a couple of disturbing videos about the twin cam 103 motors.
I would attach the videos but I'm a bit computer challenged, if you have some time go to You Tube an take a look and tell me
what you think. I'm kind of concerned being I just bought a 2016 tri glide ultra not to long ago.

Thanks, Bob

From one Bob to another Bob..Take my advice and sell your Ti-Glide before the prearranged engineered self destruct date , I mean you seen it on U-Tube so its gotta be true, ;);)

Those are all well known possible problem's that can occur with the TC motors. Will they most likely not, it's a matter for the bean counters to address if the cost of warranty out weighs the cost of changing the motor. All designs can be made better but cost comes into play. I have seen all those failures occur why some people go to gears instead of chains or have the wheels wielded or after market high pressure oil pumps like S&S installed. Is it needed? I would not waste my money on them. But the guy is right everyone should know it could happen along with a 100 other things.;)

From one Bob to another Bob..Take my advice and sell your Ti-Glide before the prearranged engineered self destruct date , I mean you seen it on U-Tube so its gotta be true, ;);)

You know - that really is the only safe thing to do. Being a forum brother I WILL HELP! I live just down in Maryland, not far from you. As you realize that old thing is basically a grenade waiting to burst into flames, I will take it off your hands. Heck - I will even give you 5 grand for that death trap. I can be up there today if you like.... ThumbUp

I am here FOR YOU.

Thanks for your replies, but I think I'll be keeping my trike. The guy seems like he knows allot about the motors, he's not just blowing smoke. I didn't say I believed everything he said , was just looking for a little reassurance, being I'm not a Harley tech.
Thanks, Bob

Thanks for your replies, but I think I'll be keeping my trike. The guy seems like he knows allot about the motors, he's not just blowing smoke. I didn't say I believed everything he said , was just looking for a little reassurance, being I'm not a Harley tech.
Thanks, Bob

Just pulling your chain a little... From one Jersey Bob' To another Jersey Bob..ThumbUp

Thanks, Bob

The points he brings up are a weak point sometimes, but he is blowing things out of proportion. The crank being pressed together is used by some of the best builders. Harley just doesn't use enough squeeze on the pins. They should be plugged also if you are going to build a higher performance engine.
The gear drive is a place to self destruct if there happens to get a little too much run-out on the crank. The chain drive is working just fine & quiet. Harley had problems with the cam chain tensioner, but corrected it in the later models.
I would like more oil pressure at an idle also, but to put things in comparison with other engines,,,, Detroit Diesel 353,453,6V53, 8V53, & all 71 series engines have run 3-5# oil pressure at idle, & done that for many years.

Besides you shouldn't idle an air cooled engine for long periods.
Yes they do run on the hot side.

Any time you build a large air cooled engine you have to expect more heat. There is more generated on the inside.
The guy just wants to exaggerate things to make a video. All things mechanical will have problems from time to time.

Thanks, Bob

We were of course funnin ya. The serious take away to me would be these are pretty damn reliable. My first Harley was a 1967 FLH EX DC Police Bike with Sidecar they have come a LOOOONG way since then and are great bikes. My number 2 is DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT "Tech". He is clearly disgruntled or otherwise lacking in knowledge. THAT is a liability working on YOUR machine.

I know you guys were just having a little fun with me and that's how I took it. I know a little about motors, not much but some. But this guy sounded like he really knew what he was talking about, your probably right about him being disgruntled.

Maybe keep or maybe sell???

This is a Hobby that if you don't like what you have or not sure;
Sell it! buy a Honda Goldwing Trike or something and then listen
about their pros and cons..........................it's all the same stuff Brother!..:Coffee:

My 2014 is now 2 years old and has 20,000 miles on it. My only warranty claims were a broken ratchet pawl in the parking brake and a bad left radiator fan. My dealer did 2 free fluid services and recalls. I have done all the rest of my scheduled fluid services. I'm on my 2nd front tire (replaced stock Dunlop with a rear Michelin Commander II). New EBC brakes on the shelf waiting. My motor runs great and is a HUGE improvement over my 4th Harley (1983 shovel head). :pepper:

There is no perfect vehicle .... but my TriGlide is pretty close to perfect for me.

Bob :D

My experience with a 103"

I've had a 103 in my Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide since 2004. The engine now is my second. Engine #1 failed at about 12,500 miles. I rode to California and crossed from AZ into CA at Needles. It was 113 degrees. By the time I reached Bakersfield I had developed a slight knock. I decided to continue to the coast. The knock never got worse, so I rode it on home to Illinois.

Once home it went right to the dealer. They tore it down and found scored cams, scored cylinder walls and burnt heads. They could find no actual cause except the smell and consistency of the oil. They think the Syn III might have broken down in the heat. The engine was under warranty but the MoCo did not want to replace it. This was a stone stock engine and I did not ride it hard. It took a call from the owner of the dealership to someone he knew at the MoCo to get it replaced.

Engine #2 has been fine for almost 50K miles. I made some changes. The first thing I did was put some pipes, air box and a Power Commander on. This made the engine run cooler and now 100 hp and almost 100 ft lbs of torque. I was always concerned about the tensioner shoe problems and wanted to avoid that. I was also concerned about low oil pressure when hot, low speed/idle. At 15K miles I had the dealer install the improved shoes and a high volume oil pump. I have run Amzoil exclusively. All works well and pushes my Hannigan Transformer down the road with no problems.

Just a couple weeks shy of my TG's 6th birthday. Over 98,000 miles. Engine rebuilt at 86k after blowing it. Possibly pressed cam gap. I had been killing stators/compensators every 25k.
plenty other problems. I HIGHLY recommend the extended warranty. I got my money back multiple times. Have a backup ride handy for time spent in shop.
HD was too cheap to replace engine, so they rebuilt it. Having just ridden 5700 miles, I can now state that rebuilt engine runs WAY better than original engine. I even keep accidentally chirping the tires when leaving lights fast.

Oh yeah. Don't think I didn't notice this insulting of Bozo's.
Don't make me come there, beep your nose and shoot you with a seltzer bottle.:qpnmt:

This is why i would never allow my kids to watch Bozo on the Saturday morning cartoons',,,
What with all the Wanton nose beeping' And seltzer spraying....:laugh:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back