Goldwing Navi

May 2, 2013
Lutz, FL
The price difference for the Navi option seems outrageous. Three thousand for a GPS, XM radio, and weather and traffic thrown in. Is there something I'm missing?

The price difference for the Navi option seems outrageous. Three thousand for a GPS, XM radio, and weather and traffic thrown in. Is there something I'm missing?

NOPE. You covered it pretty well.... Is it too much? I bet we all agree that it is but if HONDA can get it (and they do) then they will price it that high.

I agree with you 100%, I use a Garmin 550 Zumo and their XM antenna. Last year when I rented a 2012 Wing it had navigation, I wasn't impressed with its lack of user friendliness. Other other down side is if it goes bad it won't be a cheap date when it comes time to fix it.

I have owned a number of high line vehicles with built in GPS. In every case I have been disappointed. IMO a $200 Garmin in a closed vehicle and a Garmin Zumo on a motorcycle is far superior at a fraction of the cost. YMMV

Outrageously priced Navi? You bet! I have it because it came with my used 1800 and frequently use one of my two Garmin individual units instead for ease of setup instead. No, I don't have a Zumo - too expensive, and the non-Zumo works just fine for me as the Wing has very little vibration compared to a Harley where the Garmin might be shaken to death.

I actually do find my useful.

I use my Garmin 660 to set and store routes while traveling. The built in unit I keep zoomed in to .5 miles and use it to help judge curves. I don't like being surprised by sharp curves and don't like slowing down when not necessary either.

With two GPS units working in tandem I get the best of both worlds.

Great info, thank you. I've decided that I won't get the Navi option, but rather add a Zumo like I've had, and enjoyed on my last two bikes.

Appreciate the help...:D

I actually do find my useful.

I use my Garmin 660 to set and store routes while traveling. The built in unit I keep zoomed in to .5 miles and use it to help judge curves. I don't like being surprised by sharp curves and don't like slowing down when not necessary either.

With two GPS units working in tandem I get the best of both worlds.

Be careful. If I cannot see through a curve I will not trust a GPS to tell me if there's a cow or an oil slick in the middle of the lane. :Joker3: