Front tire problems!

Aug 22, 2013
Holliday, Tx USA
20150627_150554 (480x640).jpg20150718_102708 (480x640).jpg
Please bear with me, my first post. I'm not able to rotate the photos. the first photo is my MPA coming apart while rolling down the road at 70 MPH. NOT GOOD! Only had about 14000 on it. I Decided to try the Avon Trike Tire. I am here to tell you that so far I am completely satisfied with its performance and handling.

The Second photo is just to show the large wear patch running on the black top. It runs smooth and handles easly. The only thing I didn't like is that it took quite a bit of weight to balance it.:)

Just out of curiousity what was the date of manufacture on the tire. I wonder if it suffered from dry rot.

All it takes is a 17 inch front wheel.
Been thinking about one for the free but I want to see what mileage I get from the factory tire first.
I got the bt45 on our gw trike and me buddy got the new Avon Trike Tire almost the same time so we are comparing the 2.
Personally I like the BT45 so far.

Tire Problems

Gorilla: I checked the date when I receive the tire and it was ok.
Mick: I ran 36 psi per the Accessory Pit in Albuquerque. They are a Hannigan/Goldwing dealer. Tire was mounted in the correct rotation and pressure on their advise. I ground most of it off on the north end of New Mexico north of Santa Fe. Nothing straight about those roads. I sort of figured that those who get LOTS of miles out of any tire are running Interstates. (only a guess). The original radial only lasted about 4500 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Dirtdobber: why would a 17 inch wheel/tire have any effect what so ever on the wear of the front tire?

What were you running for tire pressure?

The only reason I was asking is I noticed the wear pattern across the front tire was wider than an MPA inflated to 41 psi. I tried the lower pressure also and while mine didnt do what yours did mine while it rode nice chewed up the tire and eventually cupped badly. The MPA doesnt like running at lower pressures and even inflated to 41 psi you have a 50/50 chance of cupping. Ive had 3 of them and tried them forward and backward and as far as Im concerned Michelin can keep them. Ill take a BT45 anytime over the MPA. Im sorry to see you have to go through this issue but thankfully it came out OK. Somebody was looking over your shoulder.

I'm a 45psi rider for the GL1800 Trike. Rides harder but lasts longer and won't heat up and cause heat fatigue and tread separation like the picture the OP posted.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back