Fork Stem Bearings

Apr 19, 2011
Signal Mountain Tn
After reading about the dry stem bearings, I was a bit uneasy with mine. I dropped the stem down low enough to see that the lower bearing was completely dry. I did not disassemble the fork. I am satisfied that I got enough grease in from the bottom to meet the need. I would have liked to remove the bearing and clean it up good. That would have meant dropping the wheel which I detest. Here's a quick test you can perform to see if yours needs grease. If you disconnect the steering linkage from the upper tree, the fork should free fall left or right. If it stops any an position, then it probably needs grease. Also, before you start loosening the upper triple tree, take the weight off the front tire or it will put the tree in a bind when you start trying to move it up. Mine is a 100% improved since doing the work. Hope this helps.

Lower triple tree bearing on Stallion 24 Apr '15 001.jpgLower triple tree bearing on Stallion 24 Apr '15 002.jpg

I think I would of done the complete bearing service. It looks like there is rust besides the lack of grease. I hope you caught it in time and just greasing it will do.

I finally got around to replacing my stem bearings. I had previously dropped the stem down and lubed the bearings as best I could. I knew that it was in need of attention, so I did a complete disassembly. The cage was actually beginning to self destruct. To relieve my concern about this area not getting enough lub, I installed a grease fitting on the head. In the picture it appears pretty far down on the tube. The thickness of the head about doubles in thickness above where I have the fitting and I did not want to deal with it in that area. On the upper stem bearing some had indicated that some material had to be removed from the bearing for it to slide over the stem. I ordered the Allballs set including seals for a Gold Wing 1500 and I did not have to remove any material for it to slide over the stem. (See picture). Hope this helps.

Stallion Stem Bearing Change  21 May '18 037 resized.jpgStallion Stem Bearing Change  15 May '18 011 resized.jpg

I finally got around to replacing my stem bearings. I had previously dropped the stem down and lubed the bearings as best I could. I knew that it was in need of attention, so I did a complete disassembly. The cage was actually beginning to self destruct. To relieve my concern about this area not getting enough lub, I installed a grease fitting on the head. In the picture it appears pretty far down on the tube. The thickness of the head about doubles in thickness above where I have the fitting and I did not want to deal with it in that area. On the upper stem bearing some had indicated that some material had to be removed from the bearing for it to slide over the stem. I ordered the Allballs set including seals for a Gold Wing 1500 and I did not have to remove any material for it to slide over the stem. (See picture). Hope this helps.

View attachment 57900View attachment 57901

whats up with this.... seems if they were greased at assy the shouldnt be that dry and even rusted???

wondering what happened to the fork

tube holes in the tree... looks like they were put in with a hammer and chisel???

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back