Rear Fork Pivot Shaft Lock Nut Torque

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
At 20,000 miles the manual says to check the Rear Fork Pivot Shaft Lock Nut Torque. The torque value says 50 ft-lbs first torque. It follows that with "Torque: (180 ° ) Rear fork pivot shaft locknut, final torque"

What are they talking about?

At 20,000 miles the manual says to check the Rear Fork Pivot Shaft Lock Nut Torque. The torque value says 50 ft-lbs first torque. It follows that with "Torque: (180 ° ) Rear fork pivot shaft locknut, final torque"

What are they talking about?

Torque to yield, mark the nut, turn 1/2 turn 180 degrees

or get this from Advanced Auto about 15.00

11931909_ptl_m205_pri_larg.jpg

Most often it is not a torque in ft lbs with a torque wrench, but a tightening in degrees after torquing with a torque wrench

This became popular by HD on Evo engine head gaskets

Thanks, but I still have no idea how to do that. Think I'll let the shop check it.

Thanks, but I still have no idea how to do that. Think I'll let the shop check it.

Think of it as adjusting a Trouble head clutch basket, after torquing the swing arm nut, back off the torque wrench and give the nut another 1/2 turn like you would a clutch hub adjuster( 180 degrees = 1/2 turn, 1/4 turn =90 degrees

Or think a clock face, starting from 12-6 =1/2 turn

Think of it as adjusting a Trouble head clutch basket, after torquing the swing arm nut, back off the torque wrench and give the nut another 1/2 turn like you would a clutch hub adjuster( 180 degrees = 1/2 turn, 1/4 turn =90 degrees Or think a clock face, starting from 12-6 =1/2 turn

Starting to make sense now, thanks. Don't you have to hold the nut on the opposite side to keep it from turning?

Being inquisitive, I put a torque wrench on the right side nut just to see if it was loose. If you try tightening the shaft nut the whole shaft turns, the nut on the other side with it. I guess this would make sense being as the shaft is simply a round rod with a nut on either end. I put a socket on both sides to check for movement and it was pretty damn tight so I put the cover plugs back on and decided it was fine.

1.jpg

Being inquisitive, I put a torque wrench on the right side nut just to see if it was loose. If you try tightening the shaft nut the whole shaft turns, the nut on the other side with it. I guess this would make sense being as the shaft is simply a round rod with a nut on either end. I put a socket on both sides to check for movement and it was pretty damn tight so I put the cover plugs back on and decided it was fine.

View attachment 114205

Let sleeping dogs be!…..You have to avoid the temptation to want to put a tool and turn every visible nut thats why they put cover plugs on nuts;IE..To keep inquiring eyes and hands off of them…

Let sleeping dogs be!…..You have to avoid the temptation to want to put a tool and turn every visible nut thats why they put cover plugs on nuts;IE..To keep inquiring eyes and hands off of them…

How about inspecting the rear sprocket isolators? Another tidbit Harley recommends to be checked at 20,000 miles? Anybody ever do that?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back