Rear fork assembly

1dn5up

Thumper
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2015
Bear Mtn. NY
HD calls it the rear fork assembly, I call it the rear swing arm.

While installing the oil filter relocation kit, the left side swing arm cover must be removed as to the filter mount is secured there. Upon reinstal, the bolts did not line up, as the tit holds the rubber mount from moving, it twisted. Also the shaft moves around in the pivit hole. There was a small amount of what seemed to be plastic under the cover. Anyone know if the bushing is shot? And can the rubber mount be spun as to re align the support tit? Sorry no pix but if needed can be posted.

Knew this was up for discussion b4 but could not find it.

When I jack up under the frame at the swing arm the shaft assembly moves around in the hole, lots, so I think that bushing is shot! A little movement one would think is normal, but this is big time movement. Like Jim’s reply on other thread, I do corner aggressively, I am not going to attempt replacing bushings etc.

Being I got extended warranty, I’ll seek to the dealer in the spring.

Thanks for all your help and to Jim for the breakdown PDF.

Knew this was up for discussion b4 but could not find it.

When I jack up under the frame at the swing arm the shaft assembly moves around in the hole, lots, so I think that bushing is shot! A little movement one would think is normal, but this is big time movement. Like Jim’s reply on other thread, I do corner aggressively, I am not going to attempt replacing bushings etc.

Being I got extended warranty, I’ll seek to the dealer in the spring.

Thanks for all your help and to Jim for the breakdown PDF.

Had the same thing on my 2014 that I found in the spring, rode all summer (7000+ miles) and had my extended warranty take care of it in October before I put it away. Remember...to tell them any other issues you have, the deductible will include all.

I have replaced a lot ofbushings @ work

I have NEVER seen a bushing look like that

IMO, this bushing has TOO much side loading on it

Being as the trikes have a heavier rear axle than 2wheel bikes, this poor bushing takes up and down as well as side loading. Nature of thebeast if you will.

I think a poly bushing would stand up better, tho it is harder, this may cause a bit more resistance felt in theframe

Tha bushing IMO should not be ecentric

Typical reasons for an ecentric bushing would be for a camber or caster change out side the normal range of adjustment.

These are my observations, yourresults may differ

I have replaced a lot ofbushings @ work

I have NEVER seen a bushing look like that

IMO, this bushing has TOO much side loading on it

Being as the trikes have a heavier rear axle than 2wheel bikes, this poor bushing takes up and down as well as side loading. Nature of thebeast if you will.

I think a poly bushing would stand up better, tho it is harder, this may cause a bit more resistance felt in theframe

Tha bushing IMO should not be ecentric

Typical reasons for an ecentric bushing would be for a camber or caster change out side the normal range of adjustment.

These are my observations, yourresults may differ

I believe the eccentric aspect of the rear engine/trans/swingarm bushings is designed to reduce engine vibration, acceleration shock and possibly allow slight swingarm deflection.

I could be wrong though.

When Lehman/Harley were building them in 2009, I visited the assembly line and noticed this deficiency or lack of a stabilizing filler. We had been using them in our own conversions so I asked a Lehman engineer about it and they said Harley-Davidson says they didn't need it.

AMEN:pope3:

I believe the eccentric aspect of the rear engine/trans/swingarm bushings is designed to reduce engine vibration, acceleration shock and possibly allow slight swingarm deflection.

I could be wrong though.

When Lehman/Harley were building them in 2009, I visited the assembly line and noticed this deficiency or lack of a stabilizing filler. We had been using them in our own conversions so I asked a Lehman engineer about it and they said Harley-Davidson says they didn't need it.

AMEN:pope3:

That could make sense coming from a HD engineer

Tho IMO it is a band aid on a broken leg

You already have a high stress part( the swing arm)

IMO they could have ( should have) made a better set up for this high wear item JMO

Of course HD would say that

We both know HD could use help on mounts and bushings

Remember it was Carlini that stepped up with Evos to save the cases from breaking?

2119.jpg
Now we have the tranny bolted to the crank cases

Not a bad idea BUT the vibration has to go some where;)

Good info Jim, thanks for staying on top of this:clapping:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grimpen
Back