Drive Shaft Problems

Sep 21, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
At 1000 miles, my U-joint went out 50 miles from home base. MT replaced it free of charge. Said the batch was defective. NOW, at 93K, my drive shaft started a real "clunking" 15 miles from home. I have the "green" color shaft. Where can I get a parts diagram. I have a 2010 Adventure IRS, Goldwing 1800 GL conversion.

At 1000 miles, my U-joint went out 50 miles from home base. MT replaced it free of charge. Said the batch was defective. NOW, at 93K, my drive shaft started a real "clunking" 15 miles from home. I have the "green" color shaft. Where can I get a parts diagram. I have a 2010 Adventure IRS, Goldwing 1800 GL conversion.

If you want MT parts unfortunately you must go through an authorized MT dealership now. They use to sell direct to the owner but changed that policy several months ago. I'd suggest you pull the drive shaft and take it to a automotive bearing place. They can measure the bad U-Joint and sell you a new one.

Might even do the sway out. I do my own so I did not ask. You might call around to make sure the also. My local place Purvis Industries has a sister store in Las Vegas. Here is their info:

LAS VEGAS

(BEARING BELT CHAIN, A DIVISION OF PURVIS INDUSTRIES)

3360 W. SUNSET ROAD
LAS VEGAS, NV, 89118

PH. 702-876-4225

FAX 702-364-0842

Just in case you did not know, MT says to lube the U-Joints every 6,000 miles. Since they seem to be the weak link in the chain it's probably a good idea to be slightly obsessive in that regard. On '06 and newer GL1800s the front joint, with Zert fitting on end of the joint, can be accessed behind the right engine side cover so you do not have to pull the drive shaft just to lub it. Here is a photo of what my '06 looked like.

See the green front couple U-Joint... :xszpv: :xszpv:

Front Lube Access.JPG

Drive Shaft Problem

If you want MT parts unfortunately you must go through an authorized MT dealership now. They use to sell direct to the owner but changed that policy several months ago. I'd suggest you pull the drive shaft and take it to a automotive bearing place. They can measure the bad U-Joint and sell you a new one. Might even do the sway out. I do my own so I did not ask. You might call around to make sure the also. My local place Purvis Industries has a sister store in Las Vegas. Here is their info:

LAS VEGAS

3360 W. SUNSET ROAD
LAS VEGAS, NV, 89118

PH.

702-876-4225

FAX 702-364-0842

Just in case you did not know, MT says to lube the U-Joints every 6,000 miles. Since they seem to be the weak link in the chain it's probably a good idea to be slightly obsessive in that regard. On '06 and newer GL1800s the front joint, with Zert fitting on end of the joint, can be accessed behind the right engine side cover so you do not have to pull the drive shaft just to lub it. Here is a photo of what my '06 looked like. See the green front couple U-Joint... :xszpv: :xszpv:

View attachment 40258

Thanks!! I am "handy," but not that handy. I need help. I was lead to believe that the "new" green drive shaft was, "sealed." I found a guy that will tackle it.....if we can get the parts needed.

I may have to go through a dealer I know in MO.

That U-Joint is replaceable. If you look at the photo closely you can see the lock ring clip on the outside of the journal. With the U Joint removed I'll bet you will get things fixed fairly easily. :xszpv: :xszpv:

U joints are tricky animals
Clean the holes out good, lube the holes before installing new joints
Use a press to install them so dont deform the shaft
Grease the hell out of them
After installing the joints rap on the end of the joint cap lightly to be sure the needles are not cocked

Drive Shaft Problem

That U-Joint is replaceable. If you look at the photo closely you can see the lock ring clip on the outside of the journal. With the U Joint removed I'll bet you will get things fixed fairly easily. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Thanks!!! Getting a tow to Tech tomorrow. If MT will not sell me parts, I will call your suggestion and see what they say. On Sunset Blvd., they are REAL close to my mechanic. Thanks again.

Drive Shaft Problem

If you want MT parts unfortunately you must go through an authorized MT dealership now. They use to sell direct to the owner but changed that policy several months ago. I'd suggest you pull the drive shaft and take it to a automotive bearing place. They can measure the bad U-Joint and sell you a new one. Might even do the sway out. I do my own so I did not ask. You might call around to make sure the also. My local place Purvis Industries has a sister store in Las Vegas. Here is their info:

LAS VEGAS

3360 W. SUNSET ROAD
LAS VEGAS, NV, 89118

PH.

702-876-4225

FAX 702-364-0842

Just in case you did not know, MT says to lube the U-Joints every 6,000 miles. Since they seem to be the weak link in the chain it's probably a good idea to be slightly obsessive in that regard. On '06 and newer GL1800s the front joint, with Zert fitting on end of the joint, can be accessed behind the right engine side cover so you do not have to pull the drive shaft just to lub it. Here is a photo of what my '06 looked like. See the green front couple U-Joint... :xszpv: :xszpv:

View attachment 40258

Does Purvis have U-joints that might fit my MT drive shaft???

- - - Updated - - -

Does Purvis have U-joints that might fit my MT shaft?

I may be incorrect on this, but I'd imagine that just about any bearing supply shop or the like can match the joints. I don't see them making their own, and likely use an off the shelf application. Granted, you may have to take the part out of the bike and take it to them to be matched, but that may be easier and cheaper in the long run.

I may be incorrect on this, but I'd imagine that just about any bearing supply shop or the like can match the joints. I don't see them making their own, and likely use an off the shelf application. Granted, you may have to take the part out of the bike and take it to them to be matched, but that may be easier and cheaper in the long run.

You are correct. Nearly any good drive shaft place should be able to match it. I took the original MT drive shaft from my '06 in and they fixed me up. Even MT did not know the correct u-Joint because at the time they were 100% outsourcing the drive shaft manufacturing.

Does Purvis have U-joints that might fit my MT drive shaft???

- - - Updated - - -

Does Purvis have U-joints that might fit my MT shaft?

Yes. They should have what you need. Just take the shaft in. They many not have the one with the Zert fitting in the end of the journal. That would be too bad.

Sure makes it convenient come lube time.

Good Luck !!! :xszpv::xszpv:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back