Drive belt adjustment

Bush Hog

30+ Posts
Dec 13, 2014
Clovis, CA
I joined this forum about 2 years ago. I don't post much but have been diligently following this site ever since joining. I appreciated all of the information shared here. I have a 2009 Harley FLHTC that I'm finally converting to a trike. I purchased a Champion IRS trike kit and am doing the install myself.

The install instructions from Champion are pretty straight forward, but I have a question on the drive belt adjustment that I was hoping I could get some input on. The Champion instructions say to adjust the drive belt to the center of the rear drive pully with the trike raised. Did this by turning the wheels forward and all is good.

However, when I test ride the trike on the road, the belt tracks to the left side of the drive pulley under load and tracks to the right side of the drive pulley on deceleration. Is this normal?

Oh, and I replaced the transmission bearings, swing arm bearings and swing arm rubber mounts during the installation. I've spent a couple of days chasing this problem.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

Sounds like ya did all good. Just a thought, being a 09 , check your motor mounts as the eng could be twisting on exceleration and deceleration :Shrug:

or trans mount . If the belt is not rubbing on the pulley rail , then it might be a normal movement. But ya still need a pro like Lee , or Zook to give ya the right answer.

I joined this forum about 2 years ago. I don't post much but have been diligently following this site ever since joining. I appreciated all of the information shared here. I have a 2009 Harley FLHTC that I'm finally converting to a trike. I purchased a Champion IRS trike kit and am doing the install myself. The install instructions from Champion are pretty straight forward, but I have a question on the drive belt adjustment that I was hoping I could get some input on. The Champion instructions say to adjust the drive belt to the center of the rear drive pully with the trike raised. Did this by turning the wheels forward and all is good. However, when I test ride the trike on the road, the belt tracks to the left side of the drive pulley under load and tracks to the right side of the drive pulley on deceleration. Is this normal? Oh, and I replaced the transmission bearings, swing arm bearings and swing arm rubber mounts during the installation. I've spent a couple of days chasing this problem. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

The differential is secured to the swingarm by default. Supposedly aligned during manufacturing the only adjustment is forward and aft for belt tensioning and slight adjustment for belt centering. The centering of the differential is also preselected by the manufacturer. The belt movement from one side under acceleration and the other under deceleration would indicate it is not centered or it is not aligned with the drive pulley.

Can you use a straight-edge on the driven pulley and see how it aligns with the belt and the drive pulley ?

I have had issues with belt noise on 2007 & 2008 IRS models and I understand that Champion had some pulley issues several years ago.

From Champion 2009-2013 Install manual

TIP: Measure from the bracket to the face of the drive train on each side to get the alignment close. Then perform the next step.

c. To check the alignment, turn the sprocket by hand, noting whether the belt runs in the center of the pulley. If the pulley runs on the right side plate of the pulley, use the right hand adjuster bolts to move the right wheel rearward until the belt runs in the center. If the belt runs on the left side plate of the pulley, use the left adjuster bolts to move the left wheel rearward. Make small adjustments and recheck the alignment.

d. Torque Front 1/2" fasteners ONLY securing unit to 50 ft-lb and double check belt alignment. If alignment is off, please return to 3.7c. If alignment is correct, torque rear 1/2" fasteners to 50 ft-lb.

e. Recheck belt tension and alignment after torquing fasteners.

Your indication of belt movement under load may require over-adjusting when at rest so that under load it would theoretically be in alignment.

However, when I test ride the trike on the road, the belt tracks to the left side of the drive pulley under load and tracks to the right side of the drive pulley on deceleration. Is this normal?

Just curious as to how you know the belt is tracking to the left side under load and the right side under acceleration during your test ride?

I thought the belt always tracks to the outside due to the design of the front pulley ? And it will track to the inside when rolled backwards. At least it's this way on the two wheelers.

The differential is secured to the swingarm by default. Supposedly aligned during manufacturing the only adjustment is forward and aft for belt tensioning and slight adjustment for belt centering. The centering of the differential is also preselected by the manufacturer. The belt movement from one side under acceleration and the other under deceleration would indicate it is not centered or it is not aligned with the drive pulley.

Can you use a straight-edge on the driven pulley and see how it aligns with the belt and the drive pulley ?

I have had issues with belt noise on 2007 & 2008 IRS models and I understand that Champion had some pulley issues several years ago.

From Champion 2009-2013 Install manual

TIP: Measure from the bracket to the face of the drive train on each side to get the alignment close. Then perform the next step.

c. To check the alignment, turn the sprocket by hand, noting whether the belt runs in the center of the pulley. If the pulley runs on the right side plate of the pulley, use the right hand adjuster bolts to move the right wheel rearward until the belt runs in the center. If the belt runs on the left side plate of the pulley, use the left adjuster bolts to move the left wheel rearward. Make small adjustments and recheck the alignment.

d. Torque Front 1/2" fasteners ONLY securing unit to 50 ft-lb and double check belt alignment. If alignment is off, please return to 3.7c. If alignment is correct, torque rear 1/2" fasteners to 50 ft-lb.

e. Recheck belt tension and alignment after torquing fasteners.

Your indication of belt movement under load may require over-adjusting when at rest so that under load it would theoretically be in alignment.

Makes more sence than my ans . Thanks Jim, sorry I called ya Lee ! Mornings !!

Papa Zook,

Had a buddy check when I took off and came to a stop. Coming up the driveway and into the garage, the belt tracks to the left side of the pulley. Raised the trike up on jack, spun rear wheels and belt moves to the right side of the pulley. Am I over thinking this?

Motor has about 50,000 miles on it . I've change the front motor mounts once, although I don't remember exactly how many miles were on the bike when changed. Suppose this could be the issue?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back