differential lube

I am getting ready to do my spring service on my 2010 Stallion and I have everything ready to go except for the differential. I don't find in the owners manual as to the weight of oil to use. I have both 80 weight and 90 weight oil, or does it take something special. My other question has to do with the kind of differential we have in the trikes. Is the diff. considered to be a limited slip or positive track or something else. The reason I ask is that I have tried to spin a tire and it doesn't spin it only takes off like a scared rabbit. Hope everyone has had a good winter. I am chomping at the bit to get some quality riding time. Here in the Hoosier state we get a day every once in a while that I can get the Stallion out and let her get her exercise. That keeps the battery charged up and keeps my battery charged up. Any help on the diff. would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry

Hello Jerry, Hopefully Richard (Stallion Tech) will jump in here and give you your answers. I thought it is a synthetic oil used though? I'll worry about mine when I hit 100k miles. I think that the computer is programmed not to let the Stallion take off at full power, which is probably a good thing for a lot of reasons. I do know that the tires do break loose when cornering if not careful .

tomg

Jerry the drive train is 2007 Ford Ranger. So the differential is also 2007 Ford Ranger. Service it just like one would for a Ranger. Also it is a normal differential not limited slip.

Unless you have a leak, it probably won't need any servicing. I pulled the fill plug on mine @ 50K and it was full. It had the distinctive smell of 90W diffy oil.

I am getting ready to do my spring service on my 2010 Stallion and I have everything ready to go except for the differential. I don't find in the owners manual as to the weight of oil to use. I have both 80 weight and 90 weight oil, or does it take something special. My other question has to do with the kind of differential we have in the trikes. Is the diff. considered to be a limited slip or positive track or something else. The reason I ask is that I have tried to spin a tire and it doesn't spin it only takes off like a scared rabbit. Hope everyone has had a good winter. I am chomping at the bit to get some quality riding time. Here in the Hoosier state we get a day every once in a while that I can get the Stallion out and let her get her exercise. That keeps the battery charged up and keeps my battery charged up. Any help on the diff. would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry

As far as oil weight/type, we use a plain ol 80w90 gl5 gear oil (we don't use synthetic oils in our facility for gear oil).

As mentioned previously, we use an open diff so there are no special additives needed.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back