Cat Removal

tpb857

20+ Posts
May 11, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I usually put true duals on my bikes. With my 22 CVO trike, I’m thinking of keeping the stock headers but removing the cat. What’s the best way to do that? Thanks.

Tom

On a trike there is no real easy way to remove it. One way is to remove the heat shield then cut a window in the head pipe. Then remove the material then weld it back up, but you will have to make sure to unplug your computer and BCM to make sure you don't mess up any sensitive electronics. The second way is to remove the head pipe, then take a long drill and drill out as much material as you can. Then using very long needle nose pliers pull out the remaining material. Or using the window trick when you remove it, don't know if you can drill it out on the bike because the swingarm may be in the way.

Have heard of people buying a harley stock headpipe on ebay with the cat already removed, not very expensive compared to after market head pipes, saves the trouble of digging it out and also welding it going that way, I watched some videos and to me that is more work than I would like to do.

Just thought I would throw that out there

All for now Trampas

Take stock headpipe off and remove 02 sensors. Mount the pipe in a vise and put a shop vac on one of the head flanges. Long 16 x 1 drill bit and drill away. Stop and dump the crap out once in awhile.

It's kind of a brutal act and hang on to the drill. Better have a good drill too. I have done several this way with no problems.

One other thing is do not breath the dust from the cat. Wear protection, it's full of heavy metals.

I bought a used head pipe for $50.00, took it home strapped it down to my heavy duty wooden workbench and long (cheap) 1/2 in drill bit from Harbor Freight drilled a few hole in the catalyst. Then I took long stake used for holding cement forms drove down thru the middle and with an 18 inch Cresent wrench started turning. Eventually I had a big hole in the middle and then I started using a long chisel to knock out more pieces of it. After a couple of hours I finally had it cleaned out. From the outside looks like and original head pipe.

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to go the easy way and put some after market headers on it. Can’t find any right now but I’m not in a rush. Thanks again.

There is a place in Daytona, FL area Wild Pigs Pipes I think that has them decatted. $199.00 + shipping I think I paid. They also included an adapter pipe.

Easy transaction.

Thanks. I actually had Wild Pig slip ons on a 2001 RKC that I had a long time ago. They sounded really good, but I had true duals on it too, Samsons I think. Anyway, I found that there is also a place where you can send your own head pipes and they will decat them. Down time is only a couple of days.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back