Broke down 5 miles from home

Comanche

Contributing Member
Feb 7, 2010
Copperas Cove, TX
Kudos to several members from Chapter T Texas GWRRA. We rode Friday, Saturday and Sunday through North Texas and Oklahoma and back home on Sunday. Got about 8 miles from my home and heard a really strange noise coming from my front tire. Then the steering got hard. <br /><br />
<br /><br />
Called on the CB for a rider who was behind me to check out my front tire. It was flat. I carry a portable compressor on the trike and refilled the tire. Within 50 feet it was flat again. We determined it was a broken valve stem.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
Had the tire replaced last week by the local Honda Shop and mechanic either put a old valve stem on the tire or put a wrong one.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
I was close enough to home that I called my son who got a trailer and picked me up. However all of the Chapter T riders stayed with me and helped me load the trike onto the trailer.<br />
<br />
Kudos to Jim Woodul, Dale Garrett and Ron Mitchell and their wives for staying with me in 99 degree weather.

<br /><br />
<br /><br />
Going to trailer the trike to the Honda shop tomorrow and have a discussion with the service manager. <br /><br />
<br /><br />
Really lucky that I broke down so close to home. It is great riding with friends that really care about each other.:pepper:

Kudos to several members from Chapter T Texas GWRRA. We rode Friday, Saturday and Sunday through North Texas and Oklahoma and back home on Sunday. Got about 8 miles from my home and heard a really strange noise coming from my front tire. Then the steering got hard.

Called on the CB for a rider who was behind me to check out my front tire. It was flat. I carry a portable compressor on the trike and refilled the tire. Within 50 feet it was flat again. We determined it was a broken valve stem.

Had the tire replaced last week by the local Honda Shop and mechanic either put a old valve stem on the tire or put a wrong one.

I was close enough to home that I called my son who got a trailer and picked me up. However all of the Chapter T riders stayed with me and helped me load the trike onto the trailer.

Kudos to Jim Woodul, Dale Garrett and Ron Mitchell and their wives for staying with me in 99 degree weather.

Going to trailer the trike to the Honda shop tomorrow and have a discussion with the service manager.

Really lucky that I broke down so close to home. It is great riding with friends that really care about each other.:pepper:

That's what friends are for.

Glad to hear you and the trike made it back ok.

I pulled over on I-26 close to Hendersonville,NC to check that I had my paper work under my seat, as I am from SC.In the 10 minutes that I was stopped, fumbling through my paper work,I had a line of 10+ bikes start lining up behind me to make sure my bike and I were ok.There were hard core kick but HD bikers,some retirees just riding along on Goldies,and few other of various ages and bikes.Trikers and bikers stick together.It can be scary stuck on the road with 3000+ pound metal and plastic missiles hurdling by at crazy speeds.

Again, the dealership came through. My son carried the trike to Killeen Power Sports this morning on his trailer. Told the service manager what happened and he immediately said, "That is on us." They replaced the tire and of course the valve stem. <br />
<br />
As I walked out the door he thanked me for being a loyal customer. I have known the owner for 40 years as I bought my first bike from him in 1977. However, I did not call the owner to complain. I let the service manager deal with the problem I have had three mistakes by the same mechanic in three weeks. I only asked the SM not to let this wrencher near my bike again.

Everytime I ride through Texas I meet the friendliest people (except for police, but that's another story). I usually have tools, and on long trips, extra gas. So I always pull over for bikes and even some cars on side of roads. The last time I had a big blowout on 2-wheels was outside Richmond, VA on a Sunday. I climbed a hill into woods to get cell reception and left my wife standing next to bike. Not one single bike stopped (saw plenty pass). So a thumbs down to Richmond area.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back