blinking headlight

I also have a modulating headlight on my Goldwing. I wouldn't be without it! It makes riding almost as safe as a car. However I ride just like they are still going to pull out in front of me.

Another plus to the modulating headlight is that when people pass me and then pull right back in front of me they don't stay long! Its irritating to have this light flashing at you constantly in your rear view mirror. Especially if you turn your lights on high beams. I always do and they quickly accelerate and pull away!

I have had other motorcycles stop beside me at a red light and say "Heh man, I hate that headlight you have there, Where can I get one?"

This is a better safty device than leather because it prevents the accident!
Of course this is just my opinion.

I would like to see the statute that allows this in your state. Could you post it here, please and thank you.
If you can't post the statute, whom did you check with on the legality?
I'm just interested because I worked in vehicle exterior lighting for years and am always interested in learning more.

This stuff is a little long so I apologize for the length. It is actually a federal law that is legal in all 50 states.

The Modulator Law:
The law that permits use of headlight modulators for motorcycles may be found in Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations, which is typically abbreviated 49CFR.* The CFR is a set of books containing various federal laws and standards, broken down in volumes by "title".* Each title deals with subject matter about a specific topic.
The CFR can usually be found in the reference area of any public library.* It can also be found on-line using your browser and searching for "Code of Federal Regulations", although it takes significant "drilling" to find exactly what you're looking for.* For that reason, I have posted the entire relevant text here, at the bottom of this page.
The specific regulation on modulators is 49CFR Section 571.108, paragraph S7.9.4, entitled "Motorcycle Headlamp Modulation System."* I cprinted on the literature that came from Kisan Technologies, Inc., the manufacturer of my modulator.* I also keep copies of Kisan's literature with me.* I make sure I have sufficient copies with me such that when I am stopped (and it DOES happen occasionally) that I can provide a tear-away copy to give the law-enforcement officer for his benefit and the benefit of those back at the police station.* I turn the traffic stop into an informative experience for the police officer, and give him something he can use to educate his fellow officers.
WHAT IS NOTEWORTHY AND DESERVES MENTION HERE IS THAT NO U.S. STATE OR MUNICIPALITY* MAY USURP (OVERRULE) THE AUTHORITY OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT AND FEDERAL LAW IN THE MATTER OF VEHICLE STANDARDS.*
THAT SAID, PLEASE BELIEVE THAT NO STATE OR MUNICIPALITY IS ABLE TO "OUTLAW" THE USE OF HEADLIGHT MODULATORS ON MOTORCYCLES.* THEY ARE LEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.* THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT ALSO PASSED A LAW PERMITTING HEADLIGHT MODULATOR USE ON MOTORCYCLES IN THE SPRING OF 2000, SO THEIR USE IS ALSO PERMITTED NORTH OF THE U.S. BORDER.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 49, Volume 5, Parts 400 to 999
Revised as of October 1, 2000
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 49CFR571.108] [Page 236-307]
TITLE 49 TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER V NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
PART 571 FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS

Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108;

Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.

S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:

(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 <plus-minus> 40 cycles per minute.

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.

(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.

(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.

(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.

(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.

S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.

(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

I am not able to shut the modulator off on my bike. It only quits flashing when it is dark out. It flashes on both high and low lights. The dealer installed it, so I suppose I could get him to install a switch to shut it off, but I don't see the big deal. I may be considered a "DORK", but those drivers that cannot see a motorcycle and usually won't give right of way to a bike when they are suppose to, almost always see me. I don't see it any more offensive than following some one with loud exhaust on their bike.

A small piece of duct tape over the daylight sensor will shut it off anytime you want. Put it on and take it off when ever your heart (or someone elses) desire it!

That will be 5-cents please.......

Another plus to the modulating headlight is that when people pass me and then pull right back in front of me they don't stay long! Its irritating to have this light flashing at you constantly in your rear view mirror.

I think you just made Screwball's case for him. If you think its not uncomfortable and irritating to ride in front of one, you probably never have done it.

We ask that modulators be OFF except for the lead. Never had anyone not comply or even bitch about it.

I suspect that if some one in the pack argued about feeling safer by leaving it on, we'd probably politely invite them to ride safely by themselves or with another group.

Just sayin' !

i WAS THINKING ABOUT REPLACING THE HIGH BEAM LIGHT WITH A LOW BEAM SET UP AND THEN I WILL HAVE BOTH LIGHTS ON AT THE SAME TIME.....LOWER TEMPS....NO HEADACHES...WHAT YOU THINK ?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back