After pulling back from the cliff several times..................

Jun 10, 2016
Double Oak, TX, USA
After pulling back from the cliff several times..................

I jumped. I had considered several options--Rocket 3 to be triked with Hannigan; 2006 HD Ultra Classic already triked with Champion, and others. My financial manager (wife) had VETOED each plan.

Then I ran across a 1987 Electra Classic in very good condition with 34K miles. Financial manager OKed this one, to my surprise.

I did pass on a bike that maybe I wish I hadn't. 2004 Roadglide with low miles, etc.

I am old school. I like machines with carbs, no EFI, no PCM, no ABS, and so on. I know how to make these run.

So it is sitting in my barn waiting for my decision on a trike kit. For a trike, it will be under-powered by some standards, but This will be a DIY installation, except for maybe the reverse and the installation of the raked triple tree. I have the skills to do these, but not the spare time at this point.

I'll post some pics soon.

Alright, sounds like your headed in the right direction.

IMO...if it feels under powered, look at the gear change first. From what I have read on here, that was the most bang for the buck performance upgrade that most people have done.

Please take pic's on your conversion install and keep us updated

DIY limits the kits you can purchase! Most brands require a dealer install

Yes it does. But I am hardheaded and always manage to modify whatever I get anyway. I'll be much happier cobbling together my trike than in paying a shop to do it.

I am leaning toward a Cass County Chopper kit, with Motor Trike raked triple tree, and Champion Reverse Gear. The kit does not come with a body, but I have several designs in mind to address that.

I haven't decided exactly how to address the gearing on this. I almost need to put it together with some generic 15" wheels and tires (205x55r15) and then see how it performs. From there I can adjust gearing within the differential and/or with tire height. One good thing about the CCC kit is that it uses gears from a Ford 9", which I can strip down and rebuild with my eyes closed.

Have you looked at Frankenstein trike kits?

I have and that kit is a very close second. Similar in design. Both use the Ford 9" for the base. Both use top quality brake components. There are some minor things I like about the CCC, such as the design of the fender mounts. It is a tough decision.

I have and that kit is a very close second. Similar in design. Both use the Ford 9" for the base. Both use top quality brake components. There are some minor things I like about the CCC, such as the design of the fender mounts. It is a tough decision.

Frankenstein uses 9" Ford-style axles and a Ford/Dodge 5x4.5 bolt pattern wheels. Cass County uses Dana 30 gears in the rear. They also offer 5x4.5 Ford/Dodge bolt pattern or 5x4.75 GM bolt pattern wheels. Nice to have an option there.
How big a rear tire do you want to run? Frankenstein offers rears in different widths for that purpose,another nice option.

Frankenstein uses 9" Ford-style axles and a Ford/Dodge 5x4.5 bolt pattern wheels. Cass County uses Dana 30 gears in the rear. They also offer 5x4.5 Ford/Dodge bolt pattern or 5x4.75 GM bolt pattern wheels. Nice to have an option there.
How big a rear tire do you want to run? Frankenstein offers rears in different widths for that purpose,another nice option.

Clint,

can you post more often, so that we can see pic's of that pretty ride of yours. I think that's the best looking trike I have ever seen

Decision made

Ok, I am using the Cass County Choppers kit, with champion reverse, and MotorTrike 6 degree rake kit. Multiple small mods. and upgrades as I go through it. Since its too hot to work in my barn in the summer time, I am going to do this under some shady oak trees in my back yard, where I also get some breeze from the south most of the time. My brother rides a Road Glide as does my neighbor in the house behind me. Both have volunteered to lend a hand when needed. Not in a big hurry so it might even be late September before it rolls.

I jumped. I had considered several options--Rocket 3 to be triked with Hannigan; 2006 HD Ultra Classic already triked with Champion, and others. My financial manager (wife) had VETOED each plan.

Then I ran across a 1987 Electra Classic in very good condition with 34K miles. Financial manager OKed this one, to my surprise.

I did pass on a bike that maybe I wish I hadn't. 2004 Roadglide with low miles, etc.

I am old school. I like machines with carbs, no EFI, no PCM, no ABS, and so on. I know how to make these run.

So it is sitting in my barn waiting for my decision on a trike kit. For a trike, it will be under-powered by some standards, but This will be a DIY installation, except for maybe the reverse and the installation of the raked triple tree. I have the skills to do these, but not the spare time at this point.

I'll post some pics soon.

I'm running a 1989 tour glide ultra, I have owned since new. Carbed.ThumbUp I put in an E-27 cam for more uhmh and it runs 95 mph. top end. I want my engine more for longevity than speed. The more you do to an engine, the more you will have to do.
I seldom need more power, as it works very well in most conditions. pretty darn well two up and I'm not in a race? It runs highway speeds all day long pulling a small trailer.
I bought a Champion straight axle kit from Bazooka ( forum owner) at a great price and purchased a 5 degree raked triple tree from Zook also at a hell of a bargain compared to any other tree on the market. around $700.00 and the others have nothing on it for quality. The 5 degree makes it handle great one handed and is much more responsive than the tri-glide, I don't care what year?
My old glide had a natural 4 degree rake so I am running with an overall 9 degree, My god it responds quick!

I didn't put a reverse on mine, it rolls too easy. the tri-glide? not so much, Trying to push my friends tri is a chore?

I may be mistaken, but I think the tri has around 2-1/2 degree natural rake? I often wonder what would happen if someone increased it a might?
I heard talk of it here one time but lost track of the results if someone did it?

The kit was drop shipped through champion by fed-ex and I picked it up at the local dock, It could have been dropped at my door if were willing to wait a day or two?. Not to mention a way to unload it from the truck. At the dock they had fork lift to set it on a trailer for me.

I guess you could build a rabbit cage out the expensive box in came in?

Bill at Champion is a great guy and saved me allot on shipping.

To see pics of my build google- pcombe@photobucket.com

DSCF3226 (600 x 448).jpg

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back