2011h-d trike heat

You are correct Bobs... All good points well made. Here in the West,,we have to deal with a lotta very large mountains, which result in a variety of long steep grades. There are lots of steep mountain highways and freeways here in Idaho and eastern Oregon that are 3 to 5 miles long and even longer in some areas. Very Steep too. White Bird Pass,,Cabbage Hill,, 6 to 7% grades and many miles long. When riding 2 up.....I didnt like shifting down to 4th gear to try and keep at 50 mph. And that is what I used to have to do,, not to mention the heat issue going on too...Could not pass trucks pulling 5th wheels and trailers. Had to stay behind them to draft and keep up!! Do not have that issue now. 70 mph in 6th all the way to the top on any of them. Geography will also play a part in what you need for power. I will use that as an excuse to upgrade power! LOL I do not worry about fuel milage,, never check it, have no idea what I get. Have to fill it anyway and it is only 6 gallons!..not an issue for me.

We were out west in late September. Went out to the Las Vegas Bike Rally. Only took the Triglide. Rode in every State going out. Rode in Northern Arizona at some pretty high altitudes. Rode several Days in 95 Degree heat in Nevada. Never had a problem riding two up. I must have a different bike than you guy's...:Shrug:

We were out west in late September. Went out to the Las Vegas Bike Rally. Only took the Triglide. Rode in every State going out. Rode in Northern Arizona at some pretty high altitudes. Rode several Days in 95 Degree heat in Nevada. Never had a problem riding two up. I must have a different bike than you guy's...:Shrug:

WE WERE THERE! It's only about 300 miles from home in SoCal, or 90 miles from Arizona house. We have been to all the LV Bikefests. They sure know how to throw a party in Las Vegas. I've been a big proponent of the HD Trikes. Wife and I haven't had any heat problems with both of our trikes. I've been on Harleys since the 70's, got her first one in '95.

WE WERE THERE! It's only about 300 miles from home in SoCal, or 90 miles from Arizona house. We have been to all the LV Bikefests. They sure know how to throw a party in Las Vegas. I've been a big proponent of the HD Trikes. Wife and I haven't had any heat problems with both of our trikes. I've been on Harleys since the 70's, got her first one in '95.

They do know how to throw a party. Enjoyed the Rally! I don't see the obsession with being able to pull a hill in 6th gear. I don't think the 110's were designed for that. I'd be afraid of lugging an engine trying it. These harley's won't run much faster in 6th than 5th. 6th is for cruising the interstate at 70 and above. I hardly ever use 6th gear here in the Tennessee mtn's. If you use the power band correctly, I think the stock power is adequate. JMO

Hmmm... Not an obsession. Matter of preference. And why wouldnt a 110 be able to do that? I ride with several guys with souped up 110's and they more than easily handle the big mountains here with HP to spare. I never lug it either. Try to keep it at 3000 rpm. Never below 2700. Thats what my tech told me to run at. I am sure you never use 6th in TN. Or NV. Or in between. They dont have anything that compares to steep mountains up here. Well,,CO. a little.. But it is mostly flat. Once again, personal preferences. You obviously have a Trike that is very unusual if you have been reading the threads on here about heat propblems. It is not our imagination. I have the burn scars to prove it, as do many others. And not all of us are satisfied to putt along either. The speed limit in Idaho is 75..which actually means 85. If you do 75, you hold up traffic. We run at 80-85 all the time, or faster. You are in a different part of the world compared to here.

Hmmm... Not an obsession. Matter of preference. And why wouldnt a 110 be able to do that? I ride with several guys with souped up 110's and they more than easily handle the big mountains here with HP to spare. I never lug it either. Try to keep it at 3000 rpm. Never below 2700. Thats what my tech told me to run at. I am sure you never use 6th in TN. Or NV. Or in between. They dont have anything that compares to steep mountains up here. Well,,CO. a little.. But it is mostly flat. Once again, personal preferences. You obviously have a Trike that is very unusual if you have been reading the threads on here about heat propblems. It is not our imagination. I have the burn scars to prove it, as do many others. And not all of us are satisfied to putt along either. The speed limit in Idaho is 75..which actually means 85. If you do 75, you hold up traffic. We run at 80-85 all the time, or faster. You are in a different part of the world compared to here.

Glad I'm not in your part of the world. Don't want to ride that fast anymore. I like to enjoy my riding. Hope you are lucky and no one pulls out in front or makes a quick stop or turn. Your reaction and stopping is cut drastically at those speeds. I will not ride on public highways like that. It's Dangerous! Hope nobody's stupid enough to ride with you like that.

Ok,,now you are getting off topic,,and calling me stupid, just because I dont ride like you think I should. And your key word above is "anymore". So then..You used to ride more aggresive? Again, to each his own. If you are not comfortable riding higher speeds, then dont. It is that simple. I ride slower speeds too when it makes sense to do so. We all take a big chance ridin' bikes anyway right? Don't knock others that dont conform to your way of thinking. Plenty of riders on here choose to upgrade their rides or not, for plenty of personal and different reasons, and ride the way they are comfortable. And you do the same, but everyone else is stupid?,, I certainly don't think that way.

Ok,,now you are getting off topic,,and calling me stupid, just because I dont ride like you think I should. And your key word above is "anymore". So then..You used to ride more aggresive? Again, to each his own. If you are not comfortable riding higher speeds, then dont. It is that simple. I ride slower speeds too when it makes sense to do so. We all take a big chance ridin' bikes anyway right? Don't knock others that dont conform to your way of thinking. Plenty of riders on here choose to upgrade their rides or not, for plenty of personal and different reasons, and ride the way they are comfortable. And you do the same, but everyone else is stupid?,, I certainly don't think that way.

I didn't call you stupid, I said I hope no one is stupid enough to ride with you at those speeds in traffic. I ran speeds up to 147 MPH on the Drag strip.
Held the National Record in my Class. That was long ago! I don't race anymore and like I said, I want to enjoy the ride and the scenery. I don't get on the interstate anymore unless I have to. Ride like you want to, It's your bike and your life.

Well said Trent, I am one week and 700 miles into my stage one upgrades and grinning so hard I can't stand it ! I can't believe how stupid I was to think that I didn't need to do the upgrades. I put 30,000 miles on it the first year stock and wish I had known enough to do it out of the box. JMHO

Gary, I had everything done at my Harley dealer where the service manager told me my warranty was still intact. I went with the Screamin Eagle Pro Tuner and stage one air. For headers I chose the Fulsac ceramic coated catless X pipe and RCX-Haust Blitz which is an adjustment from stock ,louder but acceptable. The increase in performance through the entire range is in my opinion incredible, this is the first and only time I have done any type of performance upgrade to anything I've owned. Glad I spent the money ! O, and did I mention that it is running much cooler! one of the primary reasons for the work.

Just got a customer service call from HD re: follow up on my recent purchase of a 2011 Tri-Glide. I had to laugh, I ask them to read some of the posts on this forum and ask them how would you feel. I will admit when I joined this forum I was hoping to be able to communicate with others like myself and exchange information on my new Tike. Not be torn between getting ride of it or having to spend 2-3 grand more in order to use it as you think it is supposed to perform. Ladies and gentlemen it has been real and it has been fun but not the combination of the two....going back to the HD forums so I can at least....oh never mind....Merry Christmas, Happy New year....

Bill, thanks for the info. How much did all that cost?
I really don't need more power, but I probably will need it to be a lot cooler by reading all the posts here and other forums.
I may be one of thelucky ones and not have a heat issue - won't know until next summer.
My dealer has a couple winter specials going on right now. Pipes and stage 1 A/C installed free plus free winter storage(don't need that - I ride all winter) and a Race Tuner installed and dynoed for $599. Don't know if that's a real good deal or not, but it's only good till the end of the year.

Gary, the cost was $1800 out the door. I didn't really think I needed the power either but it sure is sweet! As I mentioned before the primary reason for the work was to get rid of some heat and it did eliminate a good bit of it. I haven't had any thermometer to test it. Can just tell.

Gary.. that sounds like a pretty good deal.. about a month ago, I did the cams, lifters, Ness Big Sucker, Screamin Eagle Tuner, V&H Power Dual Headers, V&H Black Widow Mufflers done at my local HD Dealer...Total cost with winter special deal for upgrades labor and all was $3,000. I was happy with that. Took 'em one day. Eliminated the heat issue, which was really bad, and increased the HP from 68 to an estimated 85 to 90. Made a world of difference on my '11 Tglide. Anything you do to improve those items you will be happy with. Go for it!

Just got a customer service call from HD re: follow up on my recent purchase of a 2011 Tri-Glide. I had to laugh, I ask them to read some of the posts on this forum and ask them how would you feel. I will admit when I joined this forum I was hoping to be able to communicate with others like myself and exchange information on my new Tike. Not be torn between getting ride of it or having to spend 2-3 grand more in order to use it as you think it is supposed to perform. Ladies and gentlemen it has been real and it has been fun but not the combination of the two....going back to the HD forums so I can at least....oh never mind....Merry Christmas, Happy New year....

They're all opinions which anyone can take or leave, plenty of folks riding around on bone stock bikes and trikes who are perfectly happy. I'm a member of quite a few different forums and one thing I learned is not everyone has the same likes and dislikes as other members or myself. If a person is looking to make a change then the forums are a good source of information, like wise if a person is perfectly happy with their ride they can share that. I would caution anyone who gets involved with a thread on modifications to form their own opinion on whether the discussion suits their needs. Myself, I've never owned a stock Harley, they always left the dealership with at least Stage 1 and mufflers changed. Then down the road I modified them further to suite my needs, not with racing in mind, with what I call self preservation or the means to get away from an unsafe situation quickly. I've been in some situations where the best solution was twist the wick and get away from what was moving into my lane. The only stock Harley I've ever ridden are ones the dealer would let me take for a ride.

Bill, thanks for the info. How much did all that cost?
I really don't need more power, but I probably will need it to be a lot cooler by reading all the posts here and other forums.
I may be one of thelucky ones and not have a heat issue - won't know until next summer.
My dealer has a couple winter specials going on right now. Pipes and stage 1 A/C installed free plus free winter storage(don't need that - I ride all winter) and a Race Tuner installed and dynoed for $599. Don't know if that's a real good deal or not, but it's only good till the end of the year.
Is that with parts or just labor?? Sounds rather cheap if it was parts and labor..

It makes no difference what forum you visit, they are still hot. I also am a member on the HD Forums and I read posts over there about heat. It has been nice. See YA!

LOL! When it comes to triglides, I get confused which site I'm on. This site is better for the Triglide in that we don't get the occasional 2-wheeler who interjects a non-value-added-opinion. Hope to hear from you soon. Have fun!

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back