03 Goldwing Champion trike

Apr 21, 2016
Bartlesville Okla
I have a 03 Goldwing with Champion trike and straight axle. Going to put new tires on it. It has 205/70R15. Could I use a 215/70R15. It give me a little more side wall and about 1/2 inch wider.

Make sure you have enough fender clearance for the slightly taller tire as you take it on and off. Also it will change your speedo reading a little.

I had an o8 with a champion kit and there wasn't much extra room under the fenders and it was really tight getting the wheels on and off. Not sure slightly taller and slightly wider would fit, would be tight.

I had an o8 with a champion kit and there wasn't much extra room under the fenders and it was really tight getting the wheels on and off. Not sure slightly taller and slightly wider would fit, would be tight.

To go to a larger tire on a Champion, you might consider changing the wheels. The Champion wheel has a 35mm offset 15X7 4x4.5, increase to a 16" wheel with 40-44mm offset will give you enough room. Increasing the tire tread width will give you a harder ride and the lower the profile, the less the sidewall diminishes it even further. The wheel below is what Lehman used on their conversions when they changed over to a Champion undercarriage. You can mount a 225X60X16 tire without any clearance issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-R...ash=item56aa01c827:g:gjgAAOSw-JJaf7At&vxp=mtr

I have a 03 Goldwing with Champion trike and straight axle. Going to put new tires on it. It has 205/70R15. Could I use a 215/70R15. It give me a little more side wall and about 1/2 inch wider.

Joe,

As others have said, the clearance is already very close, any wider would make it challenging to get the tire and wheel off, so I would recommend you stick with the factory spec tires. There is really no upside to changing the size.

2004 GW1800 with a 2006 solid axle Champion kit.

When I took the tires off for cleaning and brake maintenance I had to jack the trike up by the frame to get the tires off. If I put a jack under the axle and lifted I couldn't get the wheel/tire out of the fender well - it would get stuck between the axle and the fender. I had to support the trike by the trike kit frame to let the axle hang down at the lower end of its travel. No problem then slipping the tire out between the fender lip and the axle.