Windshield vent in '02 Goldwing Trike

RUMRUNR

100+ Posts
Oct 25, 2016
Basehor, Kansas, USA
Hi folks, new to the forum, I have been reading post for a couple of months.
I have found my trike and should pick it up this weekend.
Here's the question: it is an '02, can I buy a windshield vent and cut it in myself.
Where can I purchase the vent?

Thanks,

Rumrunr

Hi folks, new to the forum, I have been reading post for a couple of months.
I have found my trike and should pick it up this weekend.
Here's the question: it is an '02, can I buy a windshield vent and cut it in myself.
Where can I purchase the vent?

Thanks,

Rumrunr

Here's one of the best places to shop for your Wing. They have more then you could possible want I'm sure .... This vent is OEM fit and finish so I think with care you could make a pattern and cut it in. http://wingstuff.com/products/3916-...text=gold_wing_gl1800-windshields_accessories

Plenty of folks have cut the hole in the windshield and installed a vent. There are both OEM and a few different aftermarket ones out there. There is a difference between the 1500 and 1800 vents, and some of the aftermarket ones are slightly different, even though they are for the GL100. Some are best with OEM type windshields, and some are made for aftermarket screens. Not all are exactly alike. As to where to get a vent, places like Cyclemax, Wingstuff, Ebay, any OEM or aftermarket Goldwing shop should have or be able to order a vent. As I mentioned, make sure the vent you get will work with your windshild.
FYI - here are instructions for the Add On Accessories vent on a stock windshield. Other brands will be similar. https://addonaccessories.net/media/wysiwyg/45-1252N_inst.pdf

Plenty of folks have cut the hole in the windshield and installed a vent. There are both OEM and a few different aftermarket ones out there. There is a difference between the 1500 and 1800 vents, and some of the aftermarket ones are slightly different, even though they are for the GL100. Some are best with OEM type windshields, and some are made for aftermarket screens. Not all are exactly alike. As to where to get a vent, places like Cyclemax, Wingstuff, Ebay, any OEM or aftermarket Goldwing shop should have or be able to order a vent. As I mentioned, make sure the vent you get will work with your windshild.
FYI - here are instructions for the Add On Accessories vent on a stock windshield. Other brands will be similar. https://addonaccessories.net/media/wysiwyg/45-1252N_inst.pdf
Great help, thanks

My skill-sets can cut a hole, however, cutting one on a curved surface, that is the correct size, and in the correct place, and finishing it with an even, smooth, rounded edge, is where my attempt would fail. If it's not even, smooth, and rounded, it can crack. If your skill-sets are similar to mine, I'd recommend a windscreen that already has the hole.

Someone who has a small router, a large work table, and the skills to make a "curved jig" to follow the arch of the windscreen should be able to cut the hole. Another curved jig will probably be needed for proper edging. A person with those tools and skills will likely succeed.

Last edited:
My skill-sets can cut a hole, however, cutting one on a curved surface, that is the correct size, and in the correct place, and finishing it with an even, smooth, rounded edge, is where my attempt would fail. If it's not even, smooth, and rounded, it can crack. If your skill-sets are similar to mine, I'd recommend a windscreen that already has the hole.

Someone who has a small router, a large work table, and the skills to make a "curved jig" to follow the arch of the windscreen should be able to cut the hole. Another curved jig will probably be needed for proper edging. A person with those tools and skills will likely succeed.

I've got all the tools to do the work and have worked with plastics before, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply.

I've got all the tools to do the work and have worked with plastics before, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply.

Yours should then turn out good. As a reference, if you want its position to be like OEM, with the vent door fully open, and the windscreen in the full down position, the vent door rides about 1/8" above the visor.

If you don't already know, a GW shield is hard coated polycarbonate. It is not likely to crack even if the hole you cut is not perfectly smooth. It is not acrylic and therefore is not brittle and subject to cracking easily!1.Place the shield in it's lowest position before checking for clearance!
2.Masking tape on windshield, position front side vent piece, as it would mount, on shield, trace around it.
3. Place inside vent piece on shield lining up w/traced line, flash light on tape will help you see the line through the tape. This step is to ensure the inner vent piece clears your dash top!
4. Cut hole.
If you use a jig saw, make sure the blade is for plastics. I used a sanding wheel on my small rotary drill to smooth the edges. I also coated the cut edge w/clear finger nail polish to prevent possible delamination of the hard coat!

If you don't already know, a GW shield is hard coated polycarbonate. It is not likely to crack even if the hole you cut is not perfectly smooth. It is not acrylic and therefore is not brittle and subject to cracking easily!1.Place the shield in it's lowest position before checking for clearance!
2.Masking tape on windshield, position front side vent piece, as it would mount, on shield, trace around it.
3. Place inside vent piece on shield lining up w/traced line, flash light on tape will help you see the line through the tape. This step is to ensure the inner vent piece clears your dash top!
4. Cut hole.
If you use a jig saw, make sure the blade is for plastics. I used a sanding wheel on my small rotary drill to smooth the edges. I also coated the cut edge w/clear finger nail polish to prevent possible delamination of the hard coat!
Thanks for the info, never thought about sealing the raw edge, good tip.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back