Why you need an external breather...Real world

Hey all, thanks for the welcomes. I have it on a new 2023 Tri Glide with 8 miles on it so my thoughts were to leave it in the air box until I figure out the routing and mounting. I hadn’t thought of the vapors just assumed the air filter would clean most of that up and I’d change the filter more often. Now I understand why I haven’t seen it mounted as such before, thanks for the education.

👍👍……..

Any thoughts on my setup? It’s a DK catch-can temporarily mounted in the air box, just wedged in for now. It seems to work as intended but I haven’t seen it done before so I was wondering why and if I should redo it. Thanks

As long as it works, that’s the ultimate goal, so you’re good there.

As far as keeping it there, I can only think the “inconvenience” and the accessibility to easily clean (or drain) it regularly.

… And it’s not that it’s difficult to remove a couple bolts and take the air cleaner lid off… but it’s also making it as convenient as possible to service the catch can.

I don’t use a catch can. I use an external filter. I clean mine every 3-5k miles and just swap out a with a clean filter. (I have a few filters that I rotate/clean & have ready when doing work or just cleaning the trike).

Last edited:
Any thoughts on my setup? It’s a DK catch-can temporarily mounted in the air box, just wedged in for now. It seems to work as intended but I haven’t seen it done before so I was wondering why and if I should redo it. Thanks

There are 3 reasons to run an EBS:

1. To keep oil out of the throttle body and combustion chambers, and the temp set up you have does that, about 90%.

2. To Reduce the Intake Air Temperature...the temporary set up you have will Not do that. The hot air venting out the top the catch can is still right there, feeding into the intake.

3. To increase the oxygen content of the air going into the combustion chambers. Since the air coming out the breather bolts is lower in oxygen content, and it is still in the air box, the Temporary set up you have does not increase the oxygen content.

Welcome to the forum, and Congrats on your new ride!

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back