Why Can't I get rid of the two radiators on 2019 Triglide?

ISP-FL

600+ Posts
Mar 16, 2017
Lake Suzy, FL USA
Most Harley M8 models do not have the lower cooling for the heads that our trikes have, including the new Road Glide 3 Trikes. Why does our trikes have to have them? Has anyone ever heard of someone removing them along with possibly plugging up the water pump? Just curious if this could be done and why or why not.

The oil cooled Harleys have oil cooling the valves, water cooled do not, they have a water jacket around the exhaust valve

Hence the twin cooling on your trike, even with that they run too damn hot for their own good, getting rid of the radiators would be bad JuJu IMO

removing liquid cooling may be harmful

Most Harley M8 models do not have the lower cooling for the heads that our trikes have, including the new Road Glide 3 Trikes. Why does our trikes have to have them? Has anyone ever heard of someone removing them along with possibly plugging up the water pump? Just curious if this could be done and why or why not.

The cylinder heads are designed to expand and contract by maintaining a fairly constant temperature with liquid cooling. Having that "head" with an air space heat up and cool without liquid inside may be enough to cause excessive expansion. Keep in mind before water cooling those heads were solid metal without an air space for the coolant to travel. I have heard of a mechanic at one Harley shop claiming one can run without coolant "as there are still cooling fins" if you lose coolant or pump gives out. However, the manual suggests one stops right away and do not run when coolant light comes on. The proof is in the pudding meaning I invite anyone out there who has run a liquid cooled "wet head" without any coolant in those heads for a long period of time, say a week or two, 500 miles or so in the heat of summer. Now that would be a great test!

The cylinder heads are designed to expand and contract by maintaining a fairly constant temperature with liquid cooling. Having that "head" with an air space heat up and cool without liquid inside may be enough to cause excessive expansion. Keep in mind before water cooling those heads were solid metal without an air space for the coolant to travel. I have heard of a mechanic at one Harley shop claiming one can run without coolant "as there are still cooling fins" if you lose coolant or pump gives out. However, the manual suggests one stops right away and do not run when coolant light comes on. The proof is in the pudding meaning I invite anyone out there who has run a liquid cooled "wet head" without any coolant in those heads for a long period of time, say a week or two, 500 miles or so in the heat of summer. Now that would be a great test!

2020 water pump took a shit in Sturgis South Dakota. Road it back to Asheboro NC. No problems. Early September. Try to get a water pump two weeks after 600,000 bikers leave the area.

No matter what model M8 you have, it will have some type of radiator.

One type uses oil to cool the heads, and has an oil cooler (radiator).

The other type uses coolant to cool the heads, and a radiator.

You can probably run without it, but long term engine life will certainly be affected.

The manufacturer did not put these features into the engines for no reason.

2020 water pump took a shit in Sturgis South Dakota. Road it back to Asheboro NC. No problems. Early September. Try to get a water pump two weeks after 600,000 bikers leave the area.

All I can tell you is I had no problem riding it back without a water pump. I stopped at several dealers on the way back to try to get a pump installed. No luck. They all told me it was not a problem riding it to NC. It is still an air cooled engine. Water cooled exhaust valves is for rider comfort, not for engine longevity. Believe whatever you like and by all means do what you feel is best for you motorcycle. I'm just relaying my experience.

Basing my opinion on 53 years' experience working on motorcycle engines, and 43 years as an FAA Licensed Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, I`m going to strongly disagree with this theory.

#1, the water cooling wet head is to dissipate heat from the head, if it gives passenger comfort that is an added bonus

The fact is H D engines run too hot for their own good, I see full liquid cooling coming soon across all platforms

#1, the water cooling wet head is to dissipate heat from the head, if it gives passenger comfort that is an added bonus The fact is H D engines run too hot for their own good, I see full liquid cooling coming soon across all platforms

My 2011 Triumph Storm 1700cc was water cooled and in 24,000 miles no one ever paid any attention to that radiator. You could idle all afternoon in a traffic jam on a hot summer day and not even think about overheating. That would have made an awesome trike if I hadn't wrapped it around a telephone pole. If Harley made a proper water cooled Freewheeler I'd trade up in a minute

.E-11 Thunderbird Storm-016.jpg

My 2011 Triumph Storm 1700cc was water cooled and in 24,000 miles no one ever paid any attention to that radiator. You could idle all afternoon in a traffic jam on a hot summer day and not even think about overheating. That would have made an awesome trike if I hadn't wrapped it around a telephone pole. If Harley made a proper water cooled Freewheeler I'd trade up in a minute

.View attachment 113453

Harley had a full water cooled engine, (V_Rod) but the Harley snobs wouldn’t buy it…

.View attachment 113453

I dig your Troublehead, is it a FXE? I see a kicker on it

A buddy and I was sitting around remembering the days when we had older Ultra Classic's and always removed the lowers. Thought it would be nice to get rid of them on a trike. I suspected there was a important reason for them. Thanks guys for input. I'm running a T-man rebuilt motor with a DarkHorse bottom end so I want good engine longevity.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back