Which tuner?

RcSuD

Rider
May 9, 2013
Vernon, BC, Canada
I don't want to hijack the Stage 1 thread, so after reading all that I am convinced that I will not pay the Harley dealer here in Canada the $300 he quoted me for the Harley download, and instead, I should buy my own tuner.

It seems the two most popular ones are the TTS Mastertune and the Dynojet Power Vision w/Auto Tune. For people who know what they are doing and are comfortable playing around with their engines, either one seems to be a good choice. But for someone who has done nothing much more than changing oil, brakes, and pumping up flat tires, which would be the best choice?

I don't want to hijack the Stage 1 thread, so after reading all that I am convinced that I will not pay the Harley dealer here in Canada the $300 he quoted me for the Harley download, and instead, I should buy my own tuner.

It seems the two most popular ones are the TTS Mastertune and the Dynojet Power Vision w/Auto Tune. For people who know what they are doing and are comfortable playing around with their engines, either one seems to be a good choice. But for someone who has done nothing much more than changing oil, brakes, and pumping up flat tires, which would be the best choice?

There are others that like the TTS, but I am using the Power Vision. I find it VERY easy to use, & without a computer to do the tuning. A computer comes in handy in loading the tune maps, but the tuning can be done with just the PV unit. A computer is handy if you are going to really get into the tunes to really see everything in the tune, & integrate different settings in any place in the tune. But you can just bring the PV to the computer if needed, or take the laptop to the bike, then change the tune & put into the PV for a flash. You can also get the Autotune with it & it makes the tuning very easy for less total money than the latest TTS.
The TTS can do a few more things to the ECM, but I have never found anything missing on the PV that would make a better tune.
Both are flash tuners so you don't have to leave the unit hooked up to the ECM. Best way to go PERIOD !
The PV will give you the ability to monitor the engine real time with a small screen on the unit. Those running TTS say they can't read such a small screen, but you don't want a laptop in front of ya anyway! HA I know some that have changed from one to the other both ways, & swear by their latest tuner. I think it really depends on which you think you are comfortable with !
If you go with Fuel Moto you get forever support also. They are some of the best to work with ! Also double the warranty! Jamie Long is great to work with there !:pepper:

The tuner you select is only part of it. The person doing the tune is the other. I have owned both of the tuners you mentioned on my 11 TG. I am not a tuner (the key part).
If you want to learn to tune, either may work. Myself, I want to get on, turn key and have an enjoyable ride. I tried doing the tune, worked for a while then not so good. Found a person that was a tuner, he preferred TTS, I went with it and he tuned the TG. All is good now.
So check around for a person to do the tune if you do not want to learn how and see what they use or prefer.
I have had the privilege to ride several TGs over the years. When you ride a well tuned one you will know what you have been missing.
Dennis

The tuner you select is only part of it. The person doing the tune is the other. I have owned both of the tuners you mentioned on my 11 TG. I am not a tuner (the key part).
If you want to learn to tune, either may work. Myself, I want to get on, turn key and have an enjoyable ride. I tried doing the tune, worked for a while then not so good. Found a person that was a tuner, he preferred TTS, I went with it and he tuned the TG. All is good now.
So check around for a person to do the tune if you do not want to learn how and see what they use or prefer.
I have had the privilege to ride several TGs over the years. When you ride a well tuned one you will know what you have been missing.
Dennis

:Agree: Very well put.

Dennis

I agree with the above statement also, except My Tuner guy did the Dyno with Techno Tuner which is like the PV tuner. Having a "good Dyno" is the KEY for a GOOD running bike. If done right, you shouldn't have to mess with it anymore unless you do more Upgrades to your bike. I did everything I wanted done all at once and hopefully don't have to mess with it anymore. just my two cents worth of advice

Thanks for the great advice guys. I think I'll put off the stage 1 upgrade till later in the year. It will give me time
to search for someone who might be able to tune it up for me, instead of buying a tuner that I might never use again.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I think I'll put off the stage 1 upgrade till later in the year. It will give me time
to search for someone who might be able to tune it up for me, instead of buying a tuner that I might never use again.

you will still have to buy the tuner as it will marry the unit to the bike if you take it to a tuner

bought the dyno jet and had it tuned and dyno-ed. I don't know any thing about all that computer stuff.
runs great every ride. turn the switch hit the button and ride. ....the way I like it.

I have, at one time or another, had/used most of the popular tuners available on various bikes, and currently have the Power Vision on my 2013 Trike (120r Crate Motor) as well as my 2013 V-Rod Muscle and consider the PV the best of them all to use w/o going with a tune via a Dyno session. Although I do tweek the Auto Tune a little on the WinPv software after running the auto tune function several times.

Good luck with which ever tuner you ultimately go with!! As a personal suggestion, I would definitely not do the Harley Download!!

Roger

Dennis

What's a TTS and PV anyway? :D:D

My two cents.. If you want to watch gauges while you are riding then get the PV. You will need to buy the extra auto-tune box and sniffers if you want to tune it your self. About another 350 bucks then drill and weld the 18mm bungs in your pipe too.

If you want to tune the bike with one box and have to use a computer do to the same thing as you have to do with the PV and want the EGR set properly, along with other useful tables for smoothing out your tune, then get the TTS. No extra auto-tune box to buy, you use your stock 02 sensors as well.

Now, if I can only find a good tune guy.

Mr Wizard, the Basic PV unit w/o the Auto Tune module will do a Basic Tune with the OEM narrow band sensors and this process works very well. Especially if you are not able to install the Auto Tune modules Wide Band Sensors which are 18mm - the OEM's are 12mm!!

Just sayin!!

Roger

Don't know anything of that sort of issue, maybe it was fixed prior to me becoming involved with the PV unit! My initial purchase/involvement was my installation of the PV last March @ Daytona Bike Week 2013 when I purchased the unit for my 2013 V-Rod Muscle.

I have not experienced any such issue with either one of my PV units!

Roger

What's a TTS and PV anyway? :D:D

My two cents.. If you want to watch gauges while you are riding then get the PV. You will need to buy the extra auto-tune box and sniffers if you want to tune it your self. About another 350 bucks then drill and weld the 18mm bungs in your pipe too.

If you want to tune the bike with one box and have to use a computer do to the same thing as you have to do with the PV and want the EGR set properly, along with other useful tables for smoothing out your tune, then get the TTS. No extra auto-tune box to buy, you use your stock 02 sensors as well.

Now, if I can only find a good tune guy.

"YEAH, IF I COULD ONLY FIND A GOOD TUNE GUY"
Butch

You do realize that buying the tuner, having it installed, and dyno'ing your trike will cost a lot more than the 300 bucks your dealer wants to charge you. IF all you are doing is a stage 1, the tuner will be overkill. Any chance of a day ride down to the states, our dealers will do the download for about a hundred bucks. Good Luck.

You do realize that buying the tuner, having it installed, and dyno'ing your trike will cost a lot more than the 300 bucks your dealer wants to charge you. IF all you are doing is a stage 1, the tuner will be overkill. Any chance of a day ride down to the states, our dealers will do the download for about a hundred bucks. Good Luck.

That's exactly what I've been thinking after reading all these comments. Even though everyone is dead set against the Harley download, it still might be the way to go. After all, when I'm done with the stage 1 upgrade, I'll have no use for it again. Like someone said, I just want to turn the key, fire it up and go riding.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to enter the US, so I'm stuck with paying the big Canadian price.

About 2 years ago some of top guys from the local Harley dealer left and started their own company. Maybe they'll be a bit cheaper. I haven't been there yet. I thought I should stick with the main dealer while my bike is still under warranty, but if they'll give me a better deal for the stage 1 upgrade, they got my business.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back