Whats The Best To Turn Into Trike ???

Jun 14, 2012
Brooksville Fl. U.S.A.
I just sold my HD and am gonna buy a bike to turn into a trike.I would like to know if a Shaft Drive is better to turn into a trike or the Belt / Chain Drive ?? I have never done one , but I am some what skilled in some mechanics, and I have a small machine shop. If I were to pick one I would say the shaft, cause it can have a regular type rearend. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know where there might be a site to check for wrecked or salvaged bikes (Trikes )??Thanks in advance. Be safe, Dennis

All I can say is I'm really happy with my Gold Wing trike. CSC conversion. Ruth and I rode over 600 miles last Sunday and never missed a beat. Something to be said for a water cooled engine when it's 103 and your going at 75 for most of the day. :)

welcome aboard dennis. it really boils down to what you like in looks. the belt drive and shaft drives both are good systems. find out what you like and then go from there

I just sold my HD and am gonna buy a bike to turn into a trike.I would like to know if a Shaft Drive is better to turn into a trike or the Belt / Chain Drive ?? I have never done one , but I am some what skilled in some mechanics, and I have a small machine shop. If I were to pick one I would say the shaft, cause it can have a regular type rearend. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know where there might be a site to check for wrecked or salvaged bikes (Trikes )??Thanks in advance. Be safe, Dennis

IMHO: Heat is the big issue for me so I like a liquid cooled engine. I am partial to the shaft drive with IRS.

I am thinking that a belt drive would be much easier conversion to install. Is there such a thing as a belt/chain drive with independent rear suspension?

I bought my Goldwing because of the shaft drive. I am planning a ride to Alaska and did not want to worry about a stone breaking the belt. I recently sold a V Star 1300 (belt drive) and I worried every time I encountered a gravel road.

Shaft drive!!! the only way if you can and try Crankyape.com Bank repo rvs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, atvs, boats, trucks, trailers, go karts, jet skis, sleds, fourwheelers, trailers, motorhomes, rvs. a good site for repoes and wrecks at a bidding site cheap and remember thier is no replacement for displacement keep it above 1000 cc and you wont be sorry . also try to keep your final gear ratio the same or as close to the stock bike ratio as possible dont go taller on the gears as you will already loose some performance:Trike1:

SHAFT DRIVE!!!!!! Also try Autocyclers.com in Madisonville, Tennessee. The buy wrecked bikes/trikes and part them out or repair them. Their phone numbers are: (423) 836-0985, (423) 836- 0969 and (423) 420-6604

For power nothing beats the 1800 flat 6 Goldwing . The 1500 flat 6 , if you can find a low mileage 1997 or newer. And then the Valkrie after that the V Rod,
Agree with the belt picking up a stone, not only can break the belt( that will ruin you day for sure) but it can tear up the sprockets . The DFT uses all original rear of the Goldwing ,( brakes, lines,disk etc.)

i can only speak about chain drive on a solid axle and gotta say haven,t had a problem apart from sheering the spline off one axle.( manufactuor forgot to case harden it.) i,ve done about 50,000kms and adjusted the chain once and both cogs are like new.

I was talking to the owner of one of the best trike conversion kits out there (unfortunately not the one I picked) and he unequivocally said the Honda's (Gold Wing specifically in this case) are the best bikes to trike. Some reasons: shaft drive and does not lack power like most other brands. Of course, he does many other brands and he has been around for many years so I would take his word for it over all other prodigious opinions. Just talking....

For power nothing beats the 1800 flat 6 Goldwing . The 1500 flat 6 , if you can find a low mileage 1997 or newer. And then the Valkrie after that the V Rod,
Agree with the belt picking up a stone, not only can break the belt( that will ruin you day for sure) but it can tear up the sprockets . The DFT uses all original rear of the Goldwing ,( brakes, lines,disk etc.)

I'll put my 2009 Triumph Rocket III up against any one of those.
140cu in, 140hp, 147 on the torque.
Just not many of us around.
Mine still has 2 wheels, but if my misses is going to keep riding, will have to get that third wheel before too long.

I do like the Valk as a second choice.

I have a 2008 Gold Wing that I had triked by Roadsmith, in 2010. A great job by the trike shop in Daytona Beach Fl. What ever you decide on,welcome.

Man, thats alot of info. I really, really appreciate all the input. This was the first and best find of all.( This Trike Forum ) I think anybody considering a trike can only hope to find an info line like this forum. Thank you, Dennis

Welcome Cajun,
I have a 99 Valkyrie i/s that was triked three years ago and have not had the first problem with it. Valk's are coming down in price and so are some of the Goldwings. Ride a lot of different ones and then decide what fits you and the SO (if you got one) cause they want to be made happy too. Ride safe and Ride often !!!

Gabby

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back