What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

Glad you back is better Alan. The chrome cover looks really good. Great choice.
icon14.png

Plastic stuff

Since it's been raining, decided to mess with some left over plexiglass and marine plastic I had.

Wanted to make a GoPro mount that would "straddle" over the Ciro dash mount in the center of my dash. That would be a plexiglass project.

From the front as it would be near the windshield. The beveled front edge gives me clearance for the angle of the windshield.

Front.jpg

From the side:

Side.jpg

Next was the marine plastic. I wanted to make a "taller" butler drink holder mounting bracket so when I put the 36 oz. Yeti in it, it doesn't hit the fuel filler in a tight turn.

The left is the new one, right is the old one. The right one has been on one or another bike since 1999. This wasn't a problem on a two wheeler. :D Never turned the bars that far ... LOL.

New vs Old.jpg

I'll do some more pics when I get them mounted ... :D

It was a spectacular day today. Sunny and 72 degrees. Perfect for a test of my new suspension on one of the most fun roads ever built.

When I put the new bars on I gained about 10 MPH through the curves on the Cut-off. The shocks just added another 5 plus they smoothed out many of the undulations in the road surface.

There is one major issue I have that only $$$ can cure as a result of the new rear suspension. It has made me very aware of what a piss poor front suspension I have. Time to research what I will need to match front and rear.

I believe the Texas Hill Country and I are going to become fast friends.

Kurt

P.S. I really need to video the Cut-off in full attack mode soon and link it for all to see.

Somehow I missed this post until just now!That is great! A video would be really cool.

That is a road that I will always remember, it definitely puts any bike thru the paces with it's variety & unique features! :)

Getting that front end squared away is not nearly as expensive as one would think. You can see an informative Report HERE, but for around $300 the front suspension can be vastly improved with some Springs and Better valving.

Kevin

Last edited:
The DK Pro-Action Shocks and Bearing Retainer plates came last Monday (2nd) and Life got in the way until Thursday when I finally got started on R & R (remove and replace; not rest and recreation!). Up on the jack stands, off with the old shocks and on with the new. The OEM air shocks are 7 model years and 36K miles old. I don't recall any warnings about the OEM shocks, but when I tossed them on the floor after taking them off, they leaked oil out the air connection ports. Clean up time!

Shocks on, it was time to tackle the retainer plates. Gettin' late and time for dinner, gotta clean up. Tomorrow is another day.Friday came and bowling league started at 9:00, so pulling the axles delayed for later in the day. A certain aftermarket parts supplier, to be unnamed, sent the wrong rear axle bearings, so after bowling it was a hot shot run to Freedom H-D in N. Canton for the right ones. Only two dealers in the State of OH had the rear Triglide Bearings. Getting home, I pulled the axles.

View attachment 84356View attachment 84357

The "grit" at the bottom of the bearing seat appeared to be small asphalt particles. Could be something else, but it got cleaned out, just the same.

View attachment 84358View attachment 84359View attachment 84360

Bearings had corrosion on them, the bearing plates were scarred and appeared to be bulged or warped.

View attachment 84361

Axles, DK "Enhanced" Bearing Retainer Plates and all associated parts for the axle re-installation are at Driveline and Axle Service to have the bearings R & R'd. Get them back Monday (9th). Then, it's put it all back together and wait for the weather to quit precipitating next week for the new shocks to get thier first workout and evaluation.

As an aside to doing this mod, whenever I have to get on the floor and move from one side of the bike to another to get something done, I've gotten a "moving pad/blanket" from Harbor Freight. It gets laid out on the floor and all the necessary tools/parts, etc. get put on the pad. When I finish on one side, I just drag it around to the other. No picking up tools, parts, etc. They're all on the pad!

View attachment 84362View attachment 84363

Now, to finish up on Monday!

Did you keep that grit? Never seen anything like that in there, am interested to know what it is/how it got in there.

Glad you're getting this done. It really is surprising how weak a piece of metal the OEM part is, especially for such a critical component.

Good pointer on dragging the pad, I sometimes do that, other times forget. It does make it easier.

Kevin

So today I installed the wheel discs I've had for a couple months. Just waiting for that new knee to cooperate so I could get down on the floor . . . and then get back up, lol. I did and it was no problem.

I've thought about doing this off and on over the years. Looks good!

What is really interesting is I got a call from RJ last week asking for a favor. He said that some of his Customers were complaining about a ticking and knocking noise after installing his wheel discs.

After some research he discovered that it was not the wheel discs making the noise. It is the loose/bent OEM Axle Bearing Retainer Plates letting the bearing knock around in the housing...that noise was always there, but the wheel discs was "trapping" the noise and making it echo off the wheel discs.

We worked out a deal that anyone that gets the wheel discs from him, and then wants to upgrade with a Axle Bearing Retainer Plate Kit can get a discount on the kit from us.

Never talked with him before. It is good he got that tracked down, because those really add a nice look to the Trikes, plus cut down on the brake dust on the wheels.

Kevin

I don’t recall that but I put mine at 25 which is about what the manual chart suggests for us two up. Horrible ride. Dialed it back to 14 and much much better. Will continue to play with different settings.

Have adjusted one more time & rain now for next 3 days. Found the air guage I carry in the bike was bad. Said 23 but tires were 37 on 3 other guages,, that didn't help the ride. Was a little better Monday ride. Readjusted when we got home, about ready to just say I'm done. WE will make the 500 before K-ville. See ya there

A promised

Installed the taller bracket for the butler. So I took a pic. With this set up, I can use the 32 oz Butler Holder, the 20 oz Butler Holder or as shown in this picture, the Kuryakyn "Basket". I like the basket thing as it matches the passenger's.

GoPPro.jpg

I gave the GoPro mount a quick quick sand and a couple coats of satin black paint, the satin keeps reflections on the GoPro to a minimum especially since I'm shooting video through the F4 windshield :D. That will get mounted this weekend.

Have adjusted one more time & rain now for next 3 days. Found the air guage I carry in the bike was bad. Said 23 but tires were 37 on 3 other guages,, that didn't help the ride. Was a little better Monday ride. Readjusted when we got home, about ready to just say I'm done. WE will make the 500 before K-ville. See ya there

Whoa! 37 will jar your teeth for sure. Good catch.

Ready Set Go

Not too much on the Tri or the Free thread. Seems like all the horses are just waiting for the door to open , and bust out into the air :clapping:. At least mine is ready roarring to go ....

BRAKE FLUID

Changed front brake fluid,:clapping:and checked to see how much of the pads were left, I have 3mm left, so it looks like I found something to put on my list. I also want to check to check the rotors for runout. I can feel them while slowing down. IMG_0049.jpg I bought this bike last summer, so I really want to find out how everything is.:p

At home like mot everyone else...

Went to the garage washed air cleaner polished all three wheels, and checked air pressure in tires. Detailed as much chrome as I could. Now I have been up close and personnel with this old Harley since October 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM. not that I remember LOL... So looking at this nicely clean machine I noticed for the first time it does not have any Badges saying it is a Triglide I am sure it it is for I checked the VIN number and confirmed it. Can anyone tell me when Harley started using Triglide badging, just curious. I know these 09's were assembled by Lehman and returned to Harley for sale. But other than that on the front fender on both sides it has Ultra Classic badges nothing else. Travel safe Fred

DSC00132.JPG

We got about a 100 mile ride in today, out in cow country NE of where we live. We stopped at a large park in another county, I think there were only about 4 other folks in the whole park, it was really nice to get out on the trike for a bit.

Went to the garage washed air cleaner polished all three wheels, and checked air pressure in tires. Detailed as much chrome as I could. Now I have been up close and personnel with this old Harley since October 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM. not that I remember LOL... So looking at this nicely clean machine I noticed for the first time it does not have any Badges saying it is a Triglide I am sure it it is for I checked the VIN number and confirmed it. Can anyone tell me when Harley started using Triglide badging, just curious. I know these 09's were assembled by Lehman and returned to Harley for sale. But other than that on the front fender on both sides it has Ultra Classic badges nothing else. Travel safe Fred

My 2010 is the same as yours. Ultra Classic only. I think they changed to Tri-Glide in 2011 or 2012.

rear brake fluid

changed rear brake fluid today glad, that i did it really was dirty:cool: dont know why the back was way worse than the front. this was a used bike, not sure what was done in the last 10 years.... i dont know how to flip pics..

876E135B-5C02-4A31-9310-9FFC79DBE592.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back