VW trike,forward mounted motor

I think the reason is to push the motor farther forward or you would be sitting on top of it, with only one gear box.

KDHUFF...............I dont really now why unless that was the 1rst year of the 1600 cc motor,The "super beetle"?
Maybe it was the year of the dual port heads.:confused:

I think the reason is to push the motor farther forward or you would be sitting on top of it, with only one gear box.

John...last night I found a picture of a mid-mounted VW trike....with the motor/trans mounted the same as the more common type VW trikes,but damifino where I seen the link/picture.
It had a single seat,bucket style and the seat looked real low(lower than I'd like)but the seat was Right in front of the "doghouse" of the motor and it appeared that the seat was actually an inch or so above the trans axel!!!
I gotta find it !!!

The extra empty tranmission case on the 'Swedish' style forward engine VW trikes was originated because Sweden and other countries have regulations requiring a certain minimum percentage of the vehicle weight to be on the front wheel. The extra tranny case moves the engine forward enough to meet those requirements. (As I understood the story).

Oh no . Now that is a VW trike I really like.... Another to put on the bucket list right after I get my Johnny Pag chopper

:D eeeeyup!! she sure is!!!
Of course,it's always about dollars and cents LOL.
My shovelhead trike Hauls ass,turns heads and sounds better than the Newyork philharmonic!!! But...she beats the tar outta me with the straight axel...and so far The best price I've seen is 6 grand for an IRS suspension............which is why I checked out other set-ups(VW dub powered)

lazor1.....I was just on line with him!!!!!....He may be building the frame for me,I'd have to complete it to accept the various ammendments to build it into a Cool trike....but I believe I could wrap up the whole Trike for under 5 grand.
A task for an old Vet living on a disability pension:D but it would sure be the type of challenge I would enjoy!!!

>>Steve Speidel's Wild Man Trikes

Hi. I actually had a trike like that, just a bare frame with the engine and tranny, Was lying in some guys backyard for about 8 yrs so was totally scrap, anyhow.. its quite easy, just pull the crown wheel out and put it back in from the other side.

thats what I was told back then. I did that to get it back to normal and just checked it by hand and it seemed to be back to normal unless I was mistaken. Never used the tranny cos it was a 1200

It's that easy, particularly if you've done any differential work before. Just pull both axles loose, then pull the 'chunk' with the ring gear attached and plug it back in to the other side and the axles rotate reverse of what they were. We used to reverse the rotation when we adapted Corvair engines to go in the VW(s). Corvair runs reverse rotation from the aircooled VW motor, but had at least double the HP. Made a heck of a ride for about 8 to 10 full power runs - then a tranny gear (usually third) would strip out. But first gear was strong and would pretty easily pull the front wheels of a Beetle, especially with the 120 extra pounds of the Corvair in the back. Made for some impressive Saturday nights at the local Dairy Queen (and some after school work the next week to fix it) - hee, hee :yes:

I just spoke to the guy who i gave the box to and he says it was back to normal. And he knows of someone who accidently fitted the crown wheel from the wrong side and ended up with 4 reverse gears and 1 forward lol. So yes seems it does work. Just to recap, you have to turn the whole centre unit that houses the crown wheel around not just the crown gear. Not sure what the technical name is for it but in South Africa we just call it the crown wheel hub. Everything else stay as is. Let me know if you tried it.

All you need to do is flip the ring gear [if it is on the left side, put it on the right side and it will work for a trike with the motor up front,
if you don;t want the heat up front on you, then don't use the extra trannie case and have it under the passenger seat,
simple to do.

All you need to do is flip the ring gear [if it is on the left side, put it on the right side and it will work for a trike with the motor up front,
if you don;t want the heat up front on you, then don't use the extra trannie case and have it under the passenger seat,
simple to do.

TRIKERCAJUN.....check out the links on post 24# of this thread.I would think that Trike wud run pretty cool...with the motor in back of you.I'd be tempted to run a dog house on 'er though.

Damn....I wish I had more views of that trike....like with the sheet metal removed:yes::wtg:

the web site its on says he took the picture at a trike event in California,maybe someone there could get some info on it. like you I would love to have more info on it.

the web site its on says he took the picture at a trike event in California,maybe someone there could get some info on it. like you I would love to have more info on it.

KD...why dont ya put up a thread"request for information"on that Trike...someone from california will surely know what part of the state held the rally...there's a bunch of us that Really want to find out more about that fine lookin 3 wheeled scoot!!!:yes::D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back