Update Avon Cobra Trike tire

1. I believe I pointed out that this is a Honda forum and I was discussing the Honda version of the tire and not the Harley.
2. I don't believe anyone was fighting.
3. I ain't been a child for many years so take care talking down to me.

I pointed all the things you pointed out to me in my posts and was attempting to correct the technical errors posted politely. If it came across any other way, I am sorry.

Not after ya George, just found them both posted on the Avon site so I posted them so all info was In one place.... sorry if I ruffled those feathers.... its Halloween go feed a kid some Chocolate and get them hyper..... just funnin....

the big question is........Why is the Harley tire bias ply and the Honda a radial??? Why is one deeper tread than the other?

Other than the Avon Cobra Trike tire, the two main front tires used by GW drivers are bias ply. The reason for bias ply is that the normal bike front tires are not strong enough to handle the steering loads placed on trike tires and they wear out very quickly. The Avon Cobra Trike tire was designed to be a trike front tire so all was taken into the design.

Tread depth has nothing to do with anything. Comparing apples to oranges.

And which Harley tire? The one on the Harley trike or the one on the Roadsmith Harley, the Hannigan Harley, etc.

Other than the Avon Cobra Trike tire, the two main front tires used by GW drivers are bias ply. The reason for bias ply is that the normal bike front tires are not strong enough to handle the steering loads placed on trike tires and they wear out very quickly. The Avon Cobra Trike tire was designed to be a trike front tire so all was taken into the design.

Tread depth has nothing to do with anything. Comparing apples to oranges.

And which Harley tire? The one on the Harley trike or the one on the Roadsmith Harley, the Hannigan Harley, etc.

See post #79 Referring to trike tires by Avon. Has nothing to do with the trike manufacturer.

mhgoldwing, interesting, I learned something. I always "thought", deeper thread, harder compound in the middle, longer miles, I guess not. Perhaps it makes no difference whether it's rear tire on the front or not.

See post #79 Referring to trike tires by Avon. Has nothing to do with the trike manufacturer.

Usually the choice of bias ply vs. radial ply is designated by the bike mfg. The Goldwing 1500 uses bias ply tires while Gl1800 uses radials. I suspect it is the suspension design because the tires react differently.

Didn't mean to sound trite in earlier post; just misunderstood your question.

- - - Updated - - -

mhgoldwing, interesting, I learned something. I always "thought", deeper thread, harder compound in the middle, longer miles, I guess not. Perhaps it makes no difference whether it's rear tire on the front or not.

Tire design takes in a lot of parameters, most of which we don't know. For instance, define "harder". As given, that is a relative term if not supported by scientific fact including the compounds used, measured hardness, etc. All I'm saying is that without knowing the facts, simply using one measurement such as tread depth, "hardness", etc. doesn't really mean anything.

For instance, if the Avon Cobra Trike tire delivered 15,000 miles and then you switched to BT45 and the mileage decreased to 10,000 miles then we have real-world proof of tire life. Yet, we started with different tread depths with the BT45 actually having a deeper tread depth.

Way too convoluted for me, so guess I will hang with what works for me, rather than get totally deep in the weeds. My BT45 (rear) has almost 20K miles, with almost 4/32 left on the tread, so I suppose it doesn't get any better, although I will be trying the MPA (rear) next, see what that does.

17" Front Tire

Need help with getting the right front tire. Need 17" (Harley conversion) with NWW. All I see in ads are black wall tires. Any help appreciated

Need help with getting the right front tire. Need 17" (Harley conversion) with NWW. All I see in ads are black wall tires. Any help appreciated

They do not make the Avon Trike Specific Front Tire in 17" size .... only 16" for Harley and 18" For Honda see 2 pages further back for the Avon Posted page on go to Avonmoto.com and search

Safety ?

Safety first
The softer radial ride with less plys makes me picture the rubber rolling off the wheel in a dire event when you need some steering most...The new Avon trike specs states 2 ply sidewall, Maybe 3 on the tread verses 5 and 3 for Mich.
Is there a comparison to market the new tire ?

Last edited:
Tread depth alone will not answer your question IMO. Tire compound, footprint, etc. all play into it. Since Avon designed this tire specifically for trikes I would assume they changed the dynamics of the tire to more suit the trike needs rather than a bike.

As I've said before, in the Arkansas twisties where I live and do most of my riding, we (5 GW trikes) all average 11-13 k miles. Our turns and chip-and-seal roads really eat tires. Time will tell if Avon improves this. However, the ride and handling are so much better that I will purchase the Avon Cobra Trike tire again if it justs gets the same mileage. Anything higher will be a bonus.

you are correct according to the article I read about it they said is flatter in the center and side walls were stiffer as well that's all I remember:xzqxz: oh ya they said new compound in this tire- longer wear etc.. this try'n to remember is give'n me a head ache !!

magoo

Does Avon make a whitewall in 16inch for a Harley ?, if so, im in need, nope its almost 4am and im not getting lost looking i know you smart guys know, as always, thanks:wave4:

Safety first

The softer radial ride with less plys makes me picture the rubber rolling off the wheel

in a dire condition when you need some steering most... The bias sells because its strong. Where is the comparison if they want to seel it ?

Really? Are you running bias ply tires on your cage? See any sports cars using bias ply tires?

Keep in mind that the 10/32" is for the Harley MT90-16 BIAS trike tire and the GL1800 130/70R-18 is a radial and JPCycles.com specs tread depth at 4.5mm which is a shade more than 6/32. 4mm is a significant amount of tread.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/177-753

Since this is the Honda trike forum, I suspect the Harley trike tire info won't help much.

when you click on new post, all the forums show up.;)

Really? Are you running bias ply tires on your cage? See any sports cars using bias ply tires?

A rider posted he went 20+ miles on a flat Mich Pilot.

Im asking for the tuffness of the front tires available to us.

As only one front tire steering. I picture down hill on a curve next to guard rails.

I want the strongest tire in that catagory, and after calling Avon tech about the

2 ply nylon sidewall on the new trike tire, I'm getting Dwgs and details how the Cobra Trike radial ply's wrap around the sidewall and beads. They said I can copy paist the Pic, even though its for another Cobra, The trike Cobra has 4 bottom/2 side ply's.

We'd like comparison resistance to failure but doesn't exist I guess.

I have worn out allot of metzlers, but like the Mich pilot, I dont like the groove

pattern, as its design invites cupping and gets worse from there.

Result ? most miles ridden with a cupped tire. I went to a Mich Commander 2

front tire on the BMW to get away from the bad design of the grooves.

look at it. The bad cupping is at the intersection of the grooves.

I dont care if its Radial or bias, give me a strong flexable tire to take abuse.

The Av Cobra might keep rubber on the wheel in a dire event better ?

If this guess is right, Why don't they address it ? We want to know

The Cobra profile looks lower but measures 25.5 verses 25.63 MichPilot.

Time will tell, more miles and experiences will show up.

happy day

He died laughing or crying, can't tell

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back