Update Avon Cobra Trike tire

Appreciate the help but Im looking specifically to see if Avon deepened the front tread to help make up for wear and tear on their front trike tire. For the cost it had better be a high mileage tire. Ive seen MPAs and BT45s with high mileage but in Avons case Ill believe over 25,000 on a radial when I see it.

Tread depth of a NEW Avon Trike tire is 6mm.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone used this with a Fenda Extenda on the front fender. With a BT45, there is about 1/2 to 5/8 clearance between the tire and the Fenda Extenda. I have had no problems in thousands of miles. And I would like to try the Avon. But I'm concerned this tire might have a larger circumference and cause problems.

My 2008 GL1800 Champion conversion came with a "Fenda Extenda" on the front fender and there is NO problem / contact with the Avon TrikeTire.

I understand these questions were asked months ago but didn't really receive an answer. I measured depth on a new tire by putting a business card in the tread groove and making a line and then measuring with a digital caliper.

I put my Avon on awhile back and for the handling and ride if it lasts 10,000 miles I wont care. There is such a ride and handling difference between the Avon and the BT45 and MPA its like night and day. Also Ive been running a Fenda Extenda with all 3 tires and dont have any clearance issues whatsoever. Avon did their homework on this one!

avon tire

well, i've had my avon trike tire on now with 2,500 miles on it since sept. and it came in with 5mm on the deepest part. Im now down to 4 mills. Corners nicely,, handles very well,, quiet and I would buy again. rj

Currently I have the MPA reversed on front ..... about 1/2 worn at 10-11K miles of use. It has always had this high frequency vibration at 30-35 mph ..... almost like a "buzz". Wear is fine, not sure about that "buzz"?

Before that, I got over 20K on a .... not a MPA, Macadam 50 rear tire ..... had a continuous groove around center. Maybe not as good a handler, but it had no "buzz" vibration.

Next was gonna be the Bridgestone ..... but I think I may ante up for one of these Avons and give it a try soon. I like what I read about it all over and even if it only goes 15K .....

I'll be happy!

Just went and checked wear on my Avon Trike tire, at 6,212 miles since install, I am reading 6/32 on my tire thread gage. I don't remember the reading when I installed it, but visually It still looks new. I am running 41 PSI and do not ride super aggressive. I personally could not be any more pleased with this tire. It rides very smooth and steers great. No vibration at all. I run 2 oz. Dyna beads in it and no wheel weights.:)ThumbUp

Currently I have the MPA reversed on front ..... about 1/2 worn at 10-11K miles of use. It has always had this high frequency vibration at 30-35 mph ..... almost like a "buzz". Wear is fine, not sure about that "buzz"?

Before that, I got over 20K on a .... not a MPA, Macadam 50 rear tire ..... had a continuous groove around center. Maybe not as good a handler, but it had no "buzz" vibration.

Next was gonna be the Bridgestone ..... but I think I may ante up for one of these Avons and give it a try soon. I like what I read about it all over and even if it only goes 15K .....

I'll be happy!

I have a MPA on the front of my stratoliner 2 wheeler it has that buzz your talking about. Mine does it from 28 to 34 mph other than that it's fairly smooth and handles well, but in town with slow speed limits it's aggravating as hell. :cxtv:

I have a MPA on the front of my stratoliner 2 wheeler it has that buzz your talking about. Mine does it from 28 to 34 mph other than that it's fairly smooth and handles well, but in town with slow speed limits it's aggravating as hell. :cxtv:

I've had some say they don't feel it ..... but at least you and I (and a few others) know it's there ..... :laugh:

I've tried various pressures, always still there .... I think it's to do with the tread itself .... it just develops a harmonic buzz. :xzqxz:

I've had some say they don't feel it ..... but at least you and I (and a few others) know it's there ..... :laugh:

I've tried various pressures, always still there .... I think it's to do with the tread itself .... it just develops a harmonic buzz. :xzqxz:

I had one MPA on my trike and never again. I hated the buzz. Switched to BT-45 and stayed with that until the Avon Cobra Trike tire came out. Loving it and won't go back.

I had one MPA on my trike and never again. I hated the buzz. Switched to BT-45 and stayed with that until the Avon Cobra Trike tire came out. Loving it and won't go back.

I had an MPA rear mounted backwards on the front of my GL1500 Roadsmith at 41 psi and never noticed any buzz, hum or noise. It worked pretty well.

Avon Cobra Tike Tire

Just ordered up my Avon Cobra Trike tire from Amazon. My 2007 Goldwing is in the shop getting the Champion Trike makeover so I will have the new tire put on before picking up the trike. I have read all the post about the different front tires used by riders and decided to go with the Avon. The tire on my Goldwing is about at its half life so, being a brand new trike rider, I thought I should go ahead and put a new Avon on the front. I love this Forum. Lots of great information is offered up here. Keep up the good work.

Roy

Tread depth of a NEW Avon Trike tire is 6mm.

- - - Updated - - -

My 2008 GL1800 Champion conversion came with a "Fenda Extenda" on the front fender and there is NO problem / contact with the Avon TrikeTire.

I understand these questions were asked months ago but didn't really receive an answer. I measured depth on a new tire by putting a business card in the tread groove and making a line and then measuring with a digital caliper.

Could have saved yourself a lot of work by reading post #17. 6/32 tread depth.

6/32 just doesn't work for me. I'll be running the BT 45 (rear), or MPA (rear), 9/32 tread depth. Might be a tiny bit harsher ride up front, but I think minimal for the extra mileage trade off.

Post 17 had nothing to do with tread depth and sent someone to the Dennis Kirk website to look at the non-trike version of this tire. I just tried answering the original question and did it with a metric tool. Someone else came in later and said 6/32" but as I recall, it was on a tire that had been on the bike for some time. I think the original question was original tread depth.

Think the poster was directing to post 17, the Dennis Kirk link has the original tread depth at 6/32, new...

Sorry, slow on the uptake... that link to the DK site was not for the trike tire. Is the trike tire the same tread depth as the non-trike version? I went back to check the DK site and can't find the tire at all now... just bought one there a couple weeks ago.

I went to the JPCycles.com site and they are now selling the Goldwing sized trike tire for about $154.99... with free shipping. It says there that tread depth is 4.5mm. I dunno... I measured a new Avon trike tire on my bike and I measured 6mm. Might have been cockpit error but I measure stuff all the time and pretty accurately.

What is also interested is that the DK site only has the Harley version of the Avon trike tire and it costs about $180 now and is a bias ply tire (not radial). Go figure.

Sorry, slow on the uptake... that link to the DK site was not for the trike tire. Is the trike tire the same tread depth as the non-trike version? I went back to check the DK site and can't find the tire at all now... just bought one there a couple weeks ago.

I went to the JPCycles.com site and they are now selling the Goldwing sized trike tire for about $154.99... with free shipping. It says there that tread depth is 4.5mm. I dunno... I measured a new Avon trike tire on my bike and I measured 6mm. Might have been cockpit error but I measure stuff all the time and pretty accurately.

What is also interested is that the DK site only has the Harley version of the Avon trike tire and it costs about $180 now and is a bias ply tire (not radial). Go figure.

https://www.denniskirk.com/avon/fro...kwall-tire-90000023950.p544808.prd/544808.sku

10/32 =7.94 I think. 7.94 vs. 6?? enquiring minds want to know???

Keep in mind that the 10/32" is for the Harley MT90-16 BIAS trike tire and the GL1800 130/70R-18 is a radial and JPCycles.com specs tread depth at 4.5mm which is a shade more than 6/32. 4mm is a significant amount of tread.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/177-753

Since this is the Honda trike forum, I suspect the Harley trike tire info won't help much.

Children, lets not fight among ourselves.... here are the Specs from the Avon Web site Directly, It shows both tires and they are different depths:

[h=1]Cobra Trike[/h][h=2]Style and performance for cruisers, customs and tourers[/h]
dual_warranty.png

• Road Hazard Warranty included
  • 15,000 Mile Warranty included
  • Specifically designed for the front of trike
  • Flatter profile to resist the scrubbing off effect normally seen on front tires
  • Bigger blocks of rubber to resist irregular wear
  • Sidewall has “Trike” emblazoned on it to differentiate from regular motorcycle tires
  • Special construction to deal with heavy loads

Cobra Trike Front
Material #ModelTire SizeService IndexRec RimRim Min-MaxOW mmOW InchesOD mmOD InchesDepth mmRevs per kmRevs per MileShop Now!
90000020646 AV71130/70R1863VMT3.503.50 - 4.001275.0064825.54.5505813
90000025025 AV71MT90B1674H3.00D2.50 - 3.501335.2063825.18.7513825

<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">
</tbody>

4.5MM = 11/64" Honda Goldwing Trike Tire Radial Ply Tire

8.7MM = 11/32" Harley Tri-Glide Tire Bias Ply Tire

Your welcome / Just FYI

1. I believe I pointed out that this is a Honda forum and I was discussing the Honda version of the tire and not the Harley.
2. I don't believe anyone was fighting.
3. I ain't been a child for many years so take care talking down to me.

I pointed all the things you pointed out to me in my posts and was attempting to correct the technical errors posted politely. If it came across any other way, I am sorry.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back