TriGlide Wind buffeting

Pux

10+ Posts
Nov 21, 2019
Grand Haven, MI, USA
I have a 2010 TriGlide ultra classic. The issue I have is with wind buffeting that is coming over the lower fairing. I have tried the 1.5” tank lift w/air deflectors. All to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Phil

wind Buffetting

I had the same problem. I put a 15" HD windshield on and it solved 90% of the problem. I also like looking thru the windshield and not fighting looking over and under all the time. It, the original 10" windshield, was at eye level and it bothered me. The 15" HD windshield looks good and not overly large.

Windshield.jpg

LRS makes several different windscreens to manage buffeting. Elite flat top and grim reaper to mention a couple check the website. We use flattops exclusively bride wants it that way

I have a 2010 as well and also have the same issue. I was also going to order the tank lift and deflectors from DK until I read this.

I know on mine the only way I can get rid of the buffeting is to put my legs on top of the lowers. When I do that it goes away which is why I thought getting the tank lift and deflectors would solve the problem. I don't think it is a windshield problem though.

It would be really nice to resolve this issue. Would definitely be a quieter ride.

Hopefully someone has a cure.

RRM

Has anyone ever removed the Tri Glide lowers in an effort to reduce or eliminate the buffeting issue with any noticeable effect?

I had a 2010 Street Glide Trike [without lowers] that I enjoyed riding over 30K miles and don't recall a buffeting issue. I rode most of those miles with a 15" F4 shield.

I have a 2010 as well and also have the same issue. I was also going to order the tank lift and deflectors from DK until I read this.

I know on mine the only way I can get rid of the buffeting is to put my legs on top of the lowers. When I do that it goes away which is why I thought getting the tank lift and deflectors would solve the problem. I don't think it is a windshield problem though.

It would be really nice to resolve this issue. Would definitely be a quieter ride.

Hopefully someone has a cure.

RRM
I have installed the 2" tank lift with deluxe option and greatly improved buffeting . Also use a flat top LRS windscreen to help with passenger side buffeting 20200326_172649.jpg

Has anyone ever removed the Tri Glide lowers in an effort to reduce or eliminate the buffeting issue with any noticeable effect?

I had a 2010 Street Glide Trike [without lowers] that I enjoyed riding over 30K miles and don't recall a buffeting issue. I rode most of those miles with a 15" F4 shield.

Mine didn't have the lowers on it when I bought it. Previous owner had removed them. I didn't ride it much before putting them back on. So I really don't remember if there was any difference. I will take them back off and report back with my findings.

I kind of liked the look better without them anyway.

He also included a box of parts that had a set of the BIG UGLY chrome fork fangs.

RRM

Update

I have a 2010 TriGlide ultra classic. The issue I have is with wind buffeting that is coming over the lower fairing. I have tried the 1.5” tank lift w/air deflectors. All to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Phil

I just tried removing the air deflectors from the upper fairing, definitely increased the buffeting. Maybe removing the lowers is the the answer?

Just thinking out loud here.....But have you tried using/wearing a different helmet..:Shrug:...

Don’t like lower / leggins, but I do run lower fangs all year. All temps are the same . So the over heating in the summer is a myth.

The vast majority of folks that use a Tank Lift & Cooling Deflector Wing experience a significant reduction in buffeting.

Those that do not will find that it is the way they are sitting/leaning forward or back in the seat, or what helmet they are wearing or where they place their legs, and sometimes arm placement (think about ape hangers). These are the biggest variables in how the wind that is left (after the Tank Lift & CDW's) affect them.

To see which one it is, or combination, try riding with something on the seat to raise you up...see if that makes it better or worse. Try riding further forward or rearward and see if that affects the buffeting.

Probably the biggest is the helmet, so you can try riding without one or with a different one.

I am not suggesting any of the above as a permanent change, rather to try them so you can determine WHAT is causing the buffeting that you're experiencing.

Two other thoughts-

1. I removed the fairing lowers on my 2011 Tri Glide. Myself, my passenger and the engine definitely got more air flowing, but for me (my height, my posture, my helmet) I do not remember it increasing the buffeting at all. But everyone will be different.

2. There is always (I hope) going to be wind hitting us on our bikes/trikes. Buffeting, in my mind, is when there is an oscillation of the wind that cause the head, or helmet, or glasses to bobble or chatter.

Since most folks do not get buffeting with the installation of a Tank Lift & CDW's, it would seem that identifying what part of the body is getting that wind oscillation, and moving that part of the body to a slightly different location, this will solve the problem.

If it is just wind (not causing a chattering of the helmet or glasses) I got nothing. Riding is about being In The Wind.

If it is the helmet that is chattering (being buffeted) from in front (I don't know of any solution to crosswinds), then changing the helmet is probably in order if you cannot get rid of it by changing your seating position.

Kevin

Reply to DK

The vast majority of folks that use a Tank Lift & Cooling Deflector Wing experience a significant reduction in buffeting.

Those that do not will find that it is the way they are sitting/leaning forward or back in the seat, or what helmet they are wearing or where they place their legs, and sometimes arm placement (think about ape hangers). These are the biggest variables in how the wind that is left (after the Tank Lift & CDW's) affect them.

To see which one it is, or combination, try riding with something on the seat to raise you up...see if that makes it better or worse. Try riding further forward or rearward and see if that affects the buffeting.

Probably the biggest is the helmet, so you can try riding without one or with a different one.

I am not suggesting any of the above as a permanent change, rather to try them so you can determine WHAT is causing the buffeting that you're experiencing.

Two other thoughts-

1. I removed the fairing lowers on my 2011 Tri Glide. Myself, my passenger and the engine definitely got more air flowing, but for me (my height, my posture, my helmet) I do not remember it increasing the buffeting at all. But everyone will be different.

2. There is always (I hope) going to be wind hitting us on our bikes/trikes. Buffeting, in my mind, is when there is an oscillation of the wind that cause the head, or helmet, or glasses to bobble or chatter.

Since most folks do not get buffeting with the installation of a Tank Lift & CDW's, it would seem that identifying what part of the body is getting that wind oscillation, and moving that part of the body to a slightly different location, this will solve the problem.

If it is just wind (not causing a chattering of the helmet or glasses) I got nothing. Riding is about being In The Wind.

If it is the helmet that is chattering (being buffeted) from in front (I don't know of any solution to crosswinds), then changing the helmet is probably in order if you cannot get rid of it by changing your seating position.

Kevin

Thanks for your input Kevin, the issue I appear to have is that the buffeting is coming over the lower fairings. I can place my hand there and eliminate it. I think my main issue is trying to find a sweet spot for your Cooling Deflector wings. I purchased the ones you suggested to mate with my tank lift. As my Tri Glide has air deflectors on the upper fairing, it limits the positions I can adjust your wings; as either they will interfere with fork turning radius or will rub against the air deflector on the fairing while turning. I have tried bending your wings at both bends, with no positive results. If I bend at the outer wing, it needs to go on the side of the lower fairing rather than above it as shown in your pictures. That means that the air flow goes unobstructed . If you have any other ideas based on your experience, I would appreciate the help. Thanks again.

20200326_172649.jpg

Fixed ... sorry it took so long Fred

I have the LRS 12" Reaper in clear. I like looking over the shield and I do that with this one. there is much less buffeting from the stock or even the wind splitter.

My Shield

IMG_0084.jpeg

Canned Photo, it's tinted but you can see the recurve better.

LRS 12%22 Reaper Clear 1.jpeg

attachment.php

Why is Fred's bike backward. The clutch cover is supposed to be on the left.

Thanks for your input Kevin, the issue I appear to have is that the buffeting is coming over the lower fairings. I can place my hand there and eliminate it. I think my main issue is trying to find a sweet spot for your Cooling Deflector wings. I purchased the ones you suggested to mate with my tank lift. As my Tri Glide has air deflectors on the upper fairing, it limits the positions I can adjust your wings; as either they will interfere with fork turning radius or will rub against the air deflector on the fairing while turning. I have tried bending your wings at both bends, with no positive results. If I bend at the outer wing, it needs to go on the side of the lower fairing rather than above it as shown in your pictures. That means that the air flow goes unobstructed . If you have any other ideas based on your experience, I would appreciate the help. Thanks again.

What is being buffeted? Helmet? Glasses? ???

Kevin

I wear a 3/4 helmet, the air comes over the lower fairing up towards my chest and underneath the helmet at the chin area.

I promise I am not trying to be a PITA....

What is being buffeted? By buffeted I mean, what is being moved around, pushed around, knocked around.

Head?

Glasses?

Helmet?

???

The reason I ask, there is always going to be air flowing and hitting the rider and the passenger. Depending on an almost infinite # of factors the air will hit at different strengths and in different places.

But air hitting is not uncomfortable unless it causes buffeting ( pushing repeatedly, causing a struggle, causing an oscillation or chattering).

What I would like to know (because once I do, I may have some insight) is what part of your body or equipment is being buffeted, and in which direction may be helpful too...ie. helmet or glasses are chattering up and down OR side to side).

Kevin

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back