Triax Trike Kit

If this attachment works, here is a crude, quick, mockup of what your bike might look like with the red bags. I'm not an artist, but I am a visual person, and I like to see something before I put the money on the table. Based on the mockup, I say go for the red color with silver trim.

<snip>....The top opening bags that I had the dealer order have arrived, and have been installed. The dealer says they are pretty flimsy, I guess you get what you pay for, they were around $230 plus shipping. /<snip>

Firstly, I too would vote for red bags.

Next, I have trick that might help you stiffen up the cheap plastic. If it were me, I would "sandwich" a layer of fiberglass mat between two layers of Durabak, ( Durabak Company Truck Bed Coatings. ) one of the best truck-bed-in-a-can products.

The idea is to use the Durabak as though it were fiberglass resin. The reason I would use the Durabak rather than resin itself is that the Durabak has super adhesion to any surface and a lifelong "give" to it. I put this stuff in my engine compartment in my VW Thing 9 years ago and it still looks like new when I hose it out!! I've had zero lift off in any spot whatsoever. In addition, the granuals in it will better anchor the fiberglass mat.

I'd pre-cut the mat as much as possible to cover the bigger areas in solid sheets and have a bunch of 1"-2" strips to overlap the joints & curves you have in the cases. Remove all hardware and after cleaning the plastic with an appropiate solvent, lay down a good layer of the Durabak. Then press in the fiberglass mat sheets you've prepared, dabbing it in with brushfuls of the Durabak using the same kind of technique as fiberglassing. After it sets up, I'd do one final, sealing layer.

With this you get extra strength and a nice, built in "rubberized" cushion your junk can rattle around in!

One other thing I might do as well, depending upon the mounts. I'd JB Weld large stainless fender washers over each and every hole before doing the Durabak layer and depending up how they would actually look, perhaps a mating washer on the outside as well. It'll give you some extra strength.

Good luck!

Bob Witte
The Trinity Trike

The bags have been removed and sent to the painter as a rush job. They say I might have them back by the end of next week. They say the red is a 3 step process, since it is metal flake. All I know is the paint job is twice as much as the bags cost. :confused:

Thanks Bob for the info, I will try and do that whenever I get a chance. I still don't have my trike and I'm starting to get a little worried. We are heading for our summer home in the Arizona White Mountains next week, and I sure hope to have the trike by then. There is excellant riding and the temps are in the 70's and 80' this time of year. Wish me luck, that I will pick it up by this weekend.
Capt out :banghead:

The Trike is now home with me. I have done limited riding because it is very hard to steer. Will be trying some different settings to see if that helps. No one makes a ez steer for my year and make of bike 2000 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 Nomad Fi. I just remember one thing I did to the bike which may be contributing to the steering problem, I changed handle bars, from stock to a much narrower buckhorn style. Not nearly as much leverage anymore. Going to take it for a ride through some twisties this am and see what happens.

Sadly you've bumped into one of the serious flaws the "outrigger" solutions can have. Are we sure that your installation is straight & true to specs? Also discussed elsewhere on the TT forum, have you checked out the potential Steerite solution by checking Triple Tree Conversions With Steerite website?

From the pics you have posted thus far, the bars you have should give you good leverage, but you are thinking correctly, wider would be better by a long shot.

Bob Witte
The Trinity Trike

Bob Thanks for the link, sounds like this may be a solution, I have already emailed them. My ride through the Saguaro National Park was interesting, I had a couple of curves I really had to muscle thru, I think I even lifted the opposite wheel one time, didn't like the feel at all. At least now I have a baseline to go off of.

Bob Thanks for the link, sounds like this may be a solution, I have already emailed them. My ride through the Saguaro National Park was interesting, I had a couple of curves I really had to muscle thru, I think I even lifted the opposite wheel one time, didn't like the feel at all. At least now I have a baseline to go off of.

By the way, although I haven't done business with them myself, I've spoken to several folks that are familar with this outfit and they have a very good reputation. It appears to be a small, family operation -- my favorite kind!

Bob Witte
The Trinity Trike

I heard back from the Steerite people today, I was given a lengthy answer to my questions I am going to post here. Very interest but dissapointing.

Hi Larry: Thank you for contacting us. The Triax Trike Kit, like the Voyager and Tow Pak system, is indeed an innovative approach to triking and the very nature of the principle behind these systems relies on a certain amount of wheel travel at these additional wheels to compensate for variable terrain etc. and enable the bikes rear wheel to continue to do its job properly. Two things have always made us hesitate supplying customers with these conversions;
One - the obvious possibility that your trike conversion can be easily removed, suggests that the bike can indeed be operated as a solo machine. When we modify triple trees we remove approximately 65% of the original trail value (caster) to attain the light, yet controlled power steering effect that we are so famous for with our Steerite modification. To use our modified trees on a solo bike would court disaster, as insufficient trail induces high speed wobbles, removes most of the cycles sense of direction and generally feels very discomforting (read – weird). Any modified trees that reduce trail must only be used with more than two wheels (not single track).

Two - if the trike conversion remains always on the bike, the donor motorcycle, for the most part, must not be allowed to move independently from the supporting wheels. If this does occur, then the steering head of the donor motorcycle can also lean from side to side emulating it's origins as a solo bike and therefore, tends to have the traits mentioned in the first paragraph. The end result is not as disastrous as in the first notation, but allows the trike as a unit to feel insecure in it's sense of direction (tracking is destabilized) yet the steering will be substantially easier than the unmodified trees. So you see the Steerite modification will greatly improve the steering department as far as effort is concerned, but with these trike conversions, along the lines of and including yours, the end result trades off some stability.

We have done hundreds of triple trees for customers with sidecars or conventional full trike conversions throughout the world with 100% satisfaction and because of our extensive expertise in this area, knowing how these (4 wheel) systems work, we simply cannot supply you with our Steerite modification. This has been our policy regarding these particular innovative trike conversions. Excuse us if we have expressed ourselves somewhat overdetaily, but every industry has a 'gray' area and we feel it only fair to address the questions and concerns correctly. This attitude to doing business this way has made us a world leader in this field and sorry we can't help you but hope this info helps to explain why.

Kind regards,

Donna M. Smith
Kamloops, BC
Canada

Tel : (250) 573-2364
Fax : (250) 573-2365

I agree with Bob...... That was a VERY nice response from them! We appreciate you sharing it all with us too. It will answer questions for a lot of people here.

Yes they did take a lot of time to explain things, I replied back to them with a question about EZ Steer that alot of the outrigger bikes use, here is their response.

Hi Larry: Our modification is basically taking your triple tree and modifying it by cutting, moving sections, filling and rewelding; whereas the EZ Steer is a billet replacement triple tree, doing the same function; reducing the stock trail. If they (Champion) knew their product was going on a non-traditional trike, they probably wouldn't (or shouldn't) have sold them. Once a bike has been triked (three wheels only) it's pretty safe to say that it's never going back to a solo; so the modification will do the job, handle correctly and be great to ride. But because a bike with the 'add on' wheels still has the rear wheel in place, it can still lean slightly, between the outrigger wheels, so in cornering, the bike could lift one of the outrigger wheels and cause the bike to go in the opposite direction and that's a diaster waiting to happen. We don't want to be liable in the event that something went wrong and would strongly urge you not to go with any form of modified steering on this type of 'non-traditional' trike. The people that make these types of trike kits should be aware of this, if they have done their homework, they should be able to advise their customers that it is not a safe undertaking to change the steering.

Kind regards,
Donna M. Smith
Kamloops, BC
Canada
If I ever get a real trike, I will use these people

I think the proper action would be to leave well enough alone. Enjoy the ride. When you can then upgrade to a complete trike with a raked fork.

Hello, I guess it is time to wrap up my Triax saga, I have posted bits and pieces in several different threads, and now I can't fine the one I am looking for. So hear goes nothing. On my third ride with the Triax kit, I left my gloves on the passenger seat, when I was going about 30 -35 mph, I remembered and reached back to see if they had fallen of yet. All of a sudden the handle bars started whipping back and forth to the point I almost lost control. After experimenting with air pressures and reading from the TT in regards to this problem, I decided to first tighten the steering down and to add a MPA. Of course they don't make it in my size, 150/80/16 so I went with a Bridgestone Battlax BT45V Sport Touring rear tire, mounted on the front backwords. Well... that took care of at least 90% of the problem!!! I rode it home through Tucson Mountain Park with lots of twisties going the speed limit and had a very injoyable ride. Something I couldn't say last week no matter how slow I went.
Remember
Ride Safe, Always

Great report, Capt Chaos! All your adventures will make things easier for the next new member! Appreciate you sharing the solution :)

That front tire (actually rear tire on the front) makes a whole lot of difference.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back