Trailer hitch rack

Apr 17, 2015
Sunset,La. USA
I'm considering going to Wing Ding this year without my wife (she has to work). Since it will be just me, I can leave the trailer home. Can't use it anyway because my running lights won't plug into the trike. Thai's another project.

I've given some thought to a rack on my trailer hitch. I'm a little concerned about it sticking too far out the back.

Anybody have experience with these racks? Thanks

We're going to Maggie Valley for the September T.T. meet, and I know there won't be enough room in just the trunk, the top box and the rack bag. Would like to take a trailer, but we wouldn't use one enough to buy one, and our Bunkhouse camper is a bit too much for the task. A hitch rack would be just about right, but what about the license plate? Seems to me on most trikes the gear on the hitch rack would cover up the plate. Has this been a problem for anyone?

rack

I welded up a trailer hitch rack that measured 20 inches deep by 30 inches wide and went to Wally world and bought a PVC luggage box on wheels and 2 bungee straps later I was traveling. As far as the license plate is concerned I have never been stopped yet. I will have it with me in Maggie valley this year.

pac it rack, love it.

This is on a gl1800 csc trike.
The 1 1/4 inch male receiver that comes with it I bent upward for 3 more inches clearance. Just fill with sand, pack it down real good (no air space), cap both ends mark where you want the bend and heat then bend until you get the clearance you want.
It has never dragged. I did not use their male receiver, I used my own. I do a lot of welding so I have plenty of steel most of the time.
It really is easy but I did it to satisfy myself. To stop noise of the shaking, this includes pulling a trailer, I drill a hole in the female receiver on one side, weld a nut over the hole. Tighten a bolt through the nut to the male receiver that is inside. It will not shake or have any movement or noise.
I make hitches at times for folks and this works really well on single wheel trailers to eliminate the tilting and 2 wheel trailers to make it more solid.

Mine is "Fuzzy Made", I have made it to accept the license plate. I just unscrew it and move it, same screws. When I get where I'm going, move it back. Takes about a minute.

I have considered putting a tail light with the license plate light on the rear of the rack. I do have a HD tail light I took off the Ultra when I put an LED on it. Hmmm ... the more I think about it, I'll make a plate curved to fit the light and add it. I also have a set of rear turn signals ... I think I see a plan forming. The light hasn't really been an issue since I don't normally ride at night on long trips where I'd need the rack, but, there would be a certain "Kewl Factor" to a rack with the lights that match. I would still keep the reflective tape, just so people could see it from the side.

We're going to Maggie Valley for the September T.T. meet, and I know there won't be enough room in just the trunk, the top box and the rack bag. Would like to take a trailer, but we wouldn't use one enough to buy one, and our Bunkhouse camper is a bit too much for the task. A hitch rack would be just about right, but what about the license plate? Seems to me on most trikes the gear on the hitch rack would cover up the plate. Has this been a problem for anyone?

A couple of years ago I did about 6,000 miles through 13 states with a $50 hitch rack stuck into the hitch of my RoadSmith I put LEDs around the rack and plugged into the RS wire harness as brake lights. A hard-side travel box was strapped to the rack. I took a color photograph of my license plate, printed it full size, laminated it in plastic and scotch taped it to the travel box. No one ever questioned it.

Okay, here's where I am. I've done a lot of internet hunting for a rack. I'm not looking for a cooler rack, so I'm looking at larger ones. About the smallest cargo rack is 48" x 20". That sounds like it will stick out the back a long way. Seems awful wide too.
What is a nice size for a rack? At this time, I'm not interested in spending $400 or $500 bucks on a rack. Thanks

The Pak-it-Rak is 21 1/2 wide 12 deep. I had a special bracket made so it sits lower
and leaves the license plate visible. On a trike, you do not even know it is there.

I bought one from Harbor Freight that is all aluminum and has connectors that tie the various pieces together. I picked it up last year but it's still in the box, I am hoping I can get it cut down and fabricate a mount before the rally in Vt. I'm thinking I can cut it down in depth and width to whatever works best. My kit is a CSC and low in the rear so I have to see if I can raise the rack somewhat.

The Pak-it-Rak is 21 1/2 wide 12 deep. I had a special bracket made so it sits lower
and leaves the license plate visible. On a trike, you do not even know it is there.

My Venture is up for sale at this time but thought I would share with you the carrier rack that I built. It was sized to fit the box. I did not like the color of the box and was against painting it (plastic) so the next best thing was to try to make it take on an older classic look with straps and handle... My only suggestions is if you make one or have one made, is to be sure its high enough to it will not hit the ground or drag of course, but to be sure you have full access to your trunk when the lid is opened... I moved my license plate and attached to the carrier when being used, it only takes a few minutes. Its great for two to four day overnight trips for riding two up, longer that that we use the trailer. If on your own "hell" who knows.:D

Carrier not attached 005 b.jpgCarrier not attached 001 a.jpgCarrier const #1 006 a.jpgCarrier const #1 001 a.jpg

My Venture is up for sale at this time but thought I would share with you the carrier rack that I built. It was sized to fit the box. I did not like the color of the box and was against painting it (plastic) so the next best thing was to try to make it take on an older classic look with straps and handle... My only suggestions is if you make one or have one made, is to be sure its high enough to it will not hit the ground or drag of course, but to be sure you have full access to your trunk when the lid is opened... I moved my license plate and attached to the carrier when being used, it only takes a few minutes. Its great for two to four day overnight trips for riding two up, longer that that we use the trailer. If on your own "hell" who knows.:D

View attachment 29060View attachment 29059View attachment 29061View attachment 29062

Nice sturdy looking rack. This is what I had in mind for a carrier rack. Do you remember the measurements and where you got the box?

I purchased the plastic box from Sportsman Warehouse. The container is made by Plano Item #1301885 for $17.99 specs are 24"x15"x18". I believe it's 56 quarts... I think it's a great container for storage and just about the right size check it out... I looked for quite some time and have been very satisfied with my choice... The rack I designed exterior is 21"x13 7/8" remember the container tapers down toward the bottom.. Lot of luck in building your own..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back