Trailer Hitch and Rack Recommendations

Sep 12, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Looking for some recommendations on a trailer hitch and a hitch mounted luggage rack for my 2014 Tri Glide. I see a few different ones available from Rivco and Kuryakyn. Any issues with mixing and matching different models?

Wife and I plan on doing a few trips this year and researching some options.

Jerry

Looking for some recommendations on a trailer hitch and a hitch mounted luggage rack for my 2014 Tri Glide. I see a few different ones available from Rivco and Kuryakyn. Any issues with mixing and matching different models?

Jerry

I haven't tried one of those hitch racks myself, but a fellow I talked to last year had one & said it is VERY easy to overload being that far behind the rear wheels. He said if he was to do it again he would go with the single wheel hitch mounted luggage trailers. They will follow you with a single wheel to support the weight.
The more weight you put behind the rear wheels, the less weight is put on the front wheel. You could loose traction on the front wheel fast !
I have a Rivco hitch on mine, & I am very pleased with it so far. I use it for a triple flag mount for PGR missions. I do have a Shoreline trailer that will be repainted this Spring, But that would be illegal & void warranty if I got caught......LOL

Jerry
I have been told a hitch will void your warranty. Might want to check with the dealer first since your tri is so new.

A hitch will absolutely void your warranty. It is in bold print in the manual.

Some dealers my still honor the warranty with a hitch on, but they are doing so in violation of their dealership agreement with HD Corporate. If one of the corporate reps happens to be there when your TG is there they will override the Dealership, plus flag your bike to prevent any future warranty work on it. Don't ask me how I know. :xzqxz:

That said, it may be wise to get a hitch set-up that is easily removable so that it is never at the dealership with the hitch on it.

Kevin

A hitch will absolutely void your warranty. It is in bold print in the manual.

Some dealers my still honor the warranty with a hitch on, but they are doing so in violation of their dealership agreement with HD Corporate. If one of the one of the corporate reps happens to be there when you TG is there they will override the Dealership, plus flag your bike to prevent any future warranty work on it. Don't ask me how I know. :xzqxz:

That said, it may be wise to get a hitch set-up that is easily removable so that it is never at the dealership with the hitch on it.

Kevin

Understood on the warranty issue. I read that. My goal, if I go this route is to find something that is easily removable. Looks like most will be.

Sloufoot I agree about the loading issue. I would use for lightweight stuff like rain suits, etc. Some things like that take up space but don't weigh that much. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

Understood on the warranty issue. I read that. My goal, if I go this route is to find something that is easily removable. Looks like most will be.

Sloufoot I agree about the loading issue. I would use for lightweight stuff like rain suits, etc. Some things like that take up space but don't weigh that much. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

You do realize there is a LOT MORE room for things with a trunk & tour pac. You might never even need a hitch. Give it a try & see if what you want to haul will go in there without any more spaces.

You do realize there is a LOT MORE room for things with a trunk & tour pac. You might never even need a hitch. Give it a try & see if what you want to haul will go in there without any more spaces.

I thought I would have more room, the wife felt different. It was always one of those deals where she would lay out what she wanted to take and I would pack what she was going to take, it hardly ever ended well. So I bought a trailer and a duffel bag the same length as my trailer told the wife if she could fit it in the bag she could take it, problem solved.

As for the rack, my dad and I use the smaller cooler rack http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=36&cat=255&page=2 along with their waterproof luggage rack bag http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=361&cat=255&page=2 locked with their rack bag locks http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=362&cat=255&page=2.

Nice part about this setup is you can use it or switch to your trailer if you need to take something larger. I used the rack and bag last summer on my Goldwing when it was still 2 wheels, I didn't even know it was there.

I thought I would have more room, the wife felt different. It was always one of those deals where she would lay out what she wanted to take and I would pack what she was going to take, it hardly ever ended well. So I bought a trailer and a duffel bag the same length as my trailer told the wife if she could fit it in the bag she could take it, problem solved.

As for the rack, my dad and I use the smaller cooler rack http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=36&cat=255&page=2 along with their waterproof luggage rack bag http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=361&cat=255&page=2 locked with their rack bag locks http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=362&cat=255&page=2.

Nice part about this setup is you can use it or switch to your trailer if you need to take something larger. I used the rack and bag last summer on my Goldwing when it was still 2 wheels, I didn't even know it was there.

I know exactly what you mean...no matter how much room we have, on a trip Mary will fill it all. :)

I have the Rivco, no problems. My warranty hasn't been worth snot. One trip to the dealer for a warranty look at my clutch. They rode it around the dealership and charged me $135.92. My warranty is up in April anyway. The end of April is when we head for Thunder Beach, Panama City Beach. See ya.

Forget the hitch rack and go with a trailer, either way you have the warranty killer, but the trailer gives you lots more options. I have an MC Hitch. It goes on and off easy, but I have never taken it off and I don't like it. If I were buying today I would get the Bushtec hitch or the Rivco.

Thanks for the responses. My wife and I did a number of trips on Ultras and we did fine. I suspect the trunk should have at least the same amount of space as two saddlebags. We shall see. Just weighing all of the options right now and appreciate the feedback.

Guess all wives/girlfriends are the same. I would give her one of the removeable saddlebag liners and she would pack it to the gills. Always ended up removing stuff because it would not fit. That always went over real well. :( Figure I will get a pair of either the Saddleman or H-D bags that fit in the trunk and see how that goes. In the past I`ve used a T-Bags Horseshoe bag on the tour pak luggage rack for lighter stuff like rainsuits, etc. Works good. Just anxious to take a trip and see how packing works on a Trike.

Jerry

Thanks for the responses. My wife and I did a number of trips on Ultras and we did fine. I suspect the trunk should have at least the same amount of space as two saddlebags. We shall see. Just weighing all of the options right now and appreciate the feedback.

Guess all wives/girlfriends are the same. I would give her one of the removeable saddlebag liners and she would pack it to the gills. Always ended up removing stuff because it would not fit. That always went over real well. :( Figure I will get a pair of either the Saddleman or H-D bags that fit in the trunk and see how that goes. In the past I`ve used a T-Bags Horseshoe bag on the tour pak luggage rack for lighter stuff like rainsuits, etc. Works good. Just anxious to take a trip and see how packing works on a Trike.

Jerry

There is more room in the trunk than the harley saddlebags. Any 1-1/4 hitch adapter/luggage rack with fit the trailer hitch if you buy one of the square type hitches.(Harbor Freight) .. if you decide on a pull behind trailer make sure you get the wiring kit from kuryaykn or bushtec. I know my trailer I cant really tell I am pulling it plus you can put all kinds of the wifes bags etc in it..:D

I have been told a hitch will void your warranty. Might want to check with the dealer first since your tri is so new.

From the Bushtec trailer website:
Will my motorcycle warranty be void if I install a trailer?

Customers have protection from this under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act is designed to “improve the adequacy of information available to customers, prevent deception, andimprove competition in the marketing of consumer products….”

• The presence of aftermarket parts does not void a warranty or warranty service.
  • In cases where a failed aftermarket part is the reason for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the customer, but by law the new-vehicle warranty is not voided.
  • The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an installed aftermarket product can be proven without doubt, that it is responsible for the warranty claim.
  • The act only applies to consumer products which can be defined as tangible personal property, regardless of how the product distributed in commerce is actually used by the individual buyer.
  • The act does not apply to oral warranties; only written warranties are covered
  • The act does not apply to warranties on services, only goods are covered, unless both the parts and workmanship in making that repair are covered by the warranty

All I can say is, good luck in finding MOCO is at fault!

My dealer has told me, don't worry about it. He did have a situation where area service tech was coming in, and he called a customer, offered to remove the hitch, customer said no, company man said, not covered!!

Forget the hitch rack and go with a trailer, either way you have the warranty killer, but the trailer gives you lots more options. I have an MC Hitch. It goes on and off easy, but I have never taken it off and I don't like it. If I were buying today I would get the Bushtec hitch or the Rivco.
Nothing like a trailer for extended trips. Wife stays happy with clothes on hangers and I am happy carrying anything that I want. Besides that, if you are still a kid like I am at 74 years of age, they are just plain fun to pull.

Both my wife and me pulled trailers with our FLSTCs. I pulled a Cambicamp trailer and she a mini horse trailer on our trip to see the U.S.A.

Two things that make it easy to pull a trailer:
1. On two wheels - a rotating coupler. Note, not needed on a
trike.
2. A way to control the coupler weight which should be no more
then 3-5 lbs.

I had a box frame put on the back of the trailers. I put tools in the box to adjust the coupler weight.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back