TPMS - Yes or NO?

ultrafxr

1250+ Posts
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2017
Lakeland, TN
Thinking about an external TPMS for my 2020 TG and been reading others experience and comments on this and some other forums. From what I read it appears I'll need an angled valve stem for the front wheel for sure so as not to hit the brake caliper with the TPMS cap. And some manufacturers highly recommend metal valve stems while others say the rubber stems are ok. I queried Kurvey Girl about which valve stem for the front and got this response:

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your question about buying a single angled valve stem to install on your 2020 Harley Tri-Glide trike, so that you can install an external TPMS sensor.

The simple answer is, yes we can sell you a single valve stem. You will need to call us at 623-444-5022 to order a single valve stem.

But we want to share that we do not recommend installing an external TPMS sensor to any valve stem, especially an angled valve stem.

- First the TPMS sensor will open the schrader valve, and the air pressure is being held by a gasket inside the sensor.

- Next the valve stem will be supporting the weight and force load of the added sensor applied. While the sensor seems light at around 9g, but at 60mph a normal motorcycle tire is spinning at around 850rpm.

- At 60mph, the force applied by the sensor on the valve stem is the equivalent of 3.25lbs.

- Up the speed to 100mph, and the sensor will apply a force of 8.8lbs.

- And while we know you are not planning on going 140mph, but at 140mph, the sensor force applied jumps to 17.5lbs.

Also, you should consider that no OEM motorcycle manufacturer, to our knowledge, installs TPMS sensors on the external end of the valve stems.

Again, thank you for your question, and we hope you understand the logic behind our recommendation not to install an external TPMS sensor on any valve stems.

- It is your choice if you wish to install a TMPS sensor on the end of a valve stem. But understand this is not a recommended usage and that we strongly recommend against it when using one of our Angled Valve Stems.

KG/Tech Support.

So what say you. Looking for real world experience. Sure don't want to jeopardize safety and have a sudden loss of air due to a ruptured rubber valve stem or fractured metal valve stem.

Thinking about an external TPMS for my 2020 TG and been reading others experience and comments on this and some other forums. From what I read it appears I'll need an angled valve stem for the front wheel for sure so as not to hit the brake caliper with the TPMS cap. And some manufacturers highly recommend metal valve stems while others say the rubber stems are ok. I queried Kurvey Girl about which valve stem for the front and got this response:

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your question about buying a single angled valve stem to install on your 2020 Harley Tri-Glide trike, so that you can install an external TPMS sensor.

The simple answer is, yes we can sell you a single valve stem. You will need to call us at 623-444-5022 to order a single valve stem.

But we want to share that we do not recommend installing an external TPMS sensor to any valve stem, especially an angled valve stem.

- First the TPMS sensor will open the schrader valve, and the air pressure is being held by a gasket inside the sensor.

- Next the valve stem will be supporting the weight and force load of the added sensor applied. While the sensor seems light at around 9g, but at 60mph a normal motorcycle tire is spinning at around 850rpm.

- At 60mph, the force applied by the sensor on the valve stem is the equivalent of 3.25lbs.

- Up the speed to 100mph, and the sensor will apply a force of 8.8lbs.

- And while we know you are not planning on going 140mph, but at 140mph, the sensor force applied jumps to 17.5lbs.

Also, you should consider that no OEM motorcycle manufacturer, to our knowledge, installs TPMS sensors on the external end of the valve stems.

Again, thank you for your question, and we hope you understand the logic behind our recommendation not to install an external TPMS sensor on any valve stems.

- It is your choice if you wish to install a TMPS sensor on the end of a valve stem. But understand this is not a recommended usage and that we strongly recommend against it when using one of our Angled Valve Stems.

KG/Tech Support.

So what say you. Looking for real world experience. Sure don't want to jeopardize safety and have a sudden loss of air due to a ruptured rubber valve stem or fractured metal valve stem.

Just my opinion when they Highly say Don't do it...Why do it..:Shrug:...

Just my opinion when they Highly say Don't do it...Why do it..:Shrug:...

I hear you and kind of leaning that way myself. But in this highly litigious environment every manufacturer / distributor plays a highly effective CYA strategy to avoid any liability. Just look at all the warnings / labels in you owner's manual and on the bike itself. Life is full of risks and it is prudent to weigh each and decide on its merit . . . or lack thereof.

Years ago they sold little pressure monitors that replaced the valve cap. People were always coming in with flat tires. They would rub a curb and damage the monitor.

While my experience is with a Spyder not a TriGlide, I did has TPMS on it for awhile. I did not like having to remove them to air up the tire and they did leak every so often. With the locks on them it was a bother. I found some valve stems that had 2 ports on them, so I could air the tires up without removing the moniters, but these leaked also. I finally just took them off. I check the tires once aweek and they stay steady. I also got tired of the app showing up on my phone. I found KG comments very interesting.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back