The Wide Glide Frankenstein Trike Conversion Has Begun...

The Czar Eclipse front wheel is installed; transferred the Arlen Ness Big Brake rotor to the new wheel, and needed to massage the fender mounting holes with a round file and then touch them up to get the 21 x 3.50 wheel with the ME888 120/70 tire to fit without any contact.

No images in the sun today; it's cold, and raining, as it always is. But, soon. That's a piece of meat on that front now... :D

DSCN2527.jpg

DSCN2531.jpg

The new rear brake line is installed; I had a handful of Goodridge 3/8 - 10mm chrome fittings and copper washers, but to clear everything I eventually used a 90° on the caliper and a 35° on the master; a purge and bleed and now a firm rear brake pedal.

DSCN2536.jpg

And, on to the exhaust...

No plan survives first contact........

Attempted to mount the BSS exhaust; an epic failure. The exhaust contacts the rear fork belt tension adjuster long before she's even snug on the exhaust studs. I knew it was going to be close but I had hopes it was going to clear. Ah, nope.

So much for the plan of keeping the exhaust the bike has been tuned for; oh gawd. But, I get why people use short exhaust systems on trikes.

Ah well, the exhaust is here and since now I'm in to re-tuning the bike anyway, I'm breaking out some mean cutting tools and having at that exhaust. The biggest problems will be clearing the transmission mounting plate and getting the W158 TTI's back in, and the full coverage heat shields. If I can't make it fit it's going to end up in many small pieces... :laugh:

But, I am having fun!

DSCN2549.jpg

DSCN2550.jpg

DSCN2551.jpg

Great build you have going there!

Question: are you adding engine stabilizers to the bike? I am considering a Dyna for my next build (fat bob) and am concerned about the torque being applied to to the engine & tranny via the swing arm. I have seen some talk about this issue but have no idea how serious it is.

BTW nice touch on the fender mounting bolts. I went with stainless button heads and polished the heads :)

Great build you have going there!

Question: are you adding engine stabilizers to the bike? I am considering a Dyna for my next build (fat bob) and am concerned about the torque being applied to to the engine & tranny via the swing arm. I have seen some talk about this issue but have no idea how serious it is.

BTW nice touch on the fender mounting bolts. I went with stainless button heads and polished the heads :)

The Dyna was/is a unique animal in the HD line and with the Dyna you have to think in different terms. The front wheel, forks, fuel tank, and frame are the rolling chassis; the engine, primary, transmission, exhaust, rear fork, and rear wheel(s) are riding on the mounts/isolators with a top stabilizer. Acceleration and braking forces are trying to push and pull the engine/primary/transmission/rear fork/axle assembly/rear wheel(s) in the frame through the mounts and engine torque tries to pitch it up and down at the front. The rear shocks exert a constant rearward pull on the mounts due to their angle; basically, the mounts are a knife edge and rely 100% on the top stabilizer for vertical alignment.

On later model Dyna's the rear fork uses a spacer and a dust cover on the right side, and a press fit pivot bearing with an interference fit spacer on the left side. The hollow pivot shaft rides in the transmission boss making the entire rear axle assembly a part of the isolator/mount system. I have replaced the front and rear mounts with aftermarket and use a solid top stabilizer with a proper turnbuckle for accurate 0.00 vertical alignment.

So the question is, would it be possible to overload that transmission boss or the pivot shaft with the bike converted to a trike? I don't know; the left side rear fork pivot bearing takes the brunt of the load. My plan is to verify vehicle/engine and vertical alignment before this bike even sees first light. I know she was in perfect alignment previously, but with changes this dramatic, 'trust but verify'.

I am a bit out in the tall grass on this conversion so I will be taking it slow and easy when this ride finally does hit the street checking for any stability or handling issues...

The doubleback on the exhaust.

A few cuts here and there and now the Big Shots are Short-Big Shots; or are they Big-Short Shots :cool:

The W158 TTI's are installed, and cutting your exhaust, a re-tune is in order. No issues now with clearance as there was before, now it's just a case of what effect did it have.

My 'goal' is this bike sees first light very soon for the shake down rides; I want her to make her first public appearance on 7 June for the first of the season Bike Night at Holeshot HD :D

DSCN2568.jpg

DSCN2572.jpg

Pipes mounted; details, details. Used HD #17048-98 SE exhaust gaskets and new heavy duty stainless steel exhaust flanges and snap rings; polished to within an inch of their lives with Flitz. And double nutted; always double nut your exhaust studs...

DSCN2576.jpg

Heat shields back on...

DSCN2584.jpg

DSCN2589.jpg

DSCN2587.jpg

Stepping away from the exhaust was the smart move; once I walked back and started cutting everything fell in to place.

Doubleback, indeed :cool:

Removed the jiffy stand with the Bung King extension, along with all the frame mounting hardware; it's all in the trash now. Painted the cut ends of the exhaust pipes and the heat shields with black high heat paint. Installed the Power Vision and flashed the original custom tune; now she's ready for auto tuning.

DSCN2591.jpg

Details, details... The devil lives in the details; 3/4" chrome acorn bolt covers on all the rear axle mounting hardware. Grade 8 hardware is sweet to have, but looks just a bit like crap; we need to dress that up a bit :cool:

DSCN2595.jpg

Do you see that smirk? That's the face of someone who knows that first light is very soon now :D

IMG_0891.jpg

I really need to update this thread; I've been riding so much I get a bit remiss about things...

No love at all for the first license plate mount; so I built another fender mount that positions the plate further under the fender and at a better angle. Much better.

I will do some glamour shots and post them up; promise; if I could just quit riding this beast long enough :cool:

DSCN2605.jpg

So the question is, would it be possible to overload that transmission boss or the pivot shaft with the bike converted to a trike? I don't know; the left side rear fork pivot bearing takes the brunt of the load.

I don't know if any other manufacturers address this issue, but Lehman used additional pieces to reinforce the transmission boss at the rear engine/transmission/swingarm mounting point. Pages 6 & 7 specifically.

http://www.lehmantrikes.com/assets/...on-instructions--wi-501-0044-af48c52e30bf.pdf

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back