Suggestions for a front tire for Gold wing SE1500 ?

Oct 16, 2011
Aurora, CO
I'm new to Trikes. I have a '93 Goldwing SE1500 with Motor Trike conversion & a 5 degree rake. I need a new front tire, currently a Dunlop E3 130X70X18. I've been told to switch to either an Avon Venom or Michelin Pilot Activ. A dealer also suggested going to a 130X80X18 would improve steering and handling. However, this dealer does not sell new trikes, only used so I am a little hesitant to follow his advice.

Any comments?

GL1500s do not suffer the same ill effects their younger brother does due to radial tires. The stock tire on a GL1500 is bias ply and I'm betting the E3 gives you plenty good service and control. You don't have the sidewall flex issues the tires normally used on GL1800 suffer when used on trikes. That sidewall flex is why most of us have switched to some version of bias play. Most have gone with the Bridgestone BT-45 or Michelin Pilot Activ (MPT) because they both have good performance records.

Hopefully someone with lots of GL1500 experience will chime in and confirm or deny my understanding... I guess the first things I would look at is the miles and condition of the present tire. If it's given good service and has lots of miles on it then why switch brand or size.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back