Sticky clutch, manual reverse

Oct 22, 2017
Topeka, Ks
I've never been happy with how my manual reverse works. Right now I only shift into reverse with the motor off. Thank God the Harley will start in gear. It just seems impossible to make the shift with the motor running, I've done it before but it sounds and feels like it's gonna tear the gears out. 2011 CVO/Champion independent suspension. Anybody have any good ideas?

Dwight

I've never been happy with how my manual reverse works. Right now I only shift into reverse with the motor off. Thank God the Harley will start in gear. It just seems impossible to make the shift with the motor running, I've done it before but it sounds and feels like it's gonna tear the gears out. 2011 CVO/Champion independent suspension. Anybody have any good ideas?

..Dwight

I had the motor trike reverse on my 2011 Tri-Glide and what I would do is with the engine off put it in reverse first Then start the engine in “neutral “ clutch lever in and ease Off the clutch and feed gas..

try before going into reverse, go to first gear then to neutral then into reverse. that's a suggestion from the company

With my Champion reverse, I always put it in 1st gear first and with the clutch still disengaged, put it in reverse. Then, put the trans in Neutral and back up. After doing do, I reverse the process. Been doing it that way, for years, and it eliminates the grinding. Champion reverse doesn't have a reverse lockout. If you do, my method doesn't work.

Going through same thing right now. 2011 Triglide with motor trike reverse. Mine would work perfect when cold, then grind like h*ll when warmed up. Contacted motor trike and was told there was probably something sticking because they never had problems. In shop again trying to get working right. Would take the da*n thing out but motor trike said would run into problems removing anchor pins due to red lock-tite. Wish I would have never heard of this company. Wish you better luck than me.

Going through same thing right now. 2011 Triglide with motor trike reverse. Mine would work perfect when cold, then grind like h*ll when warmed up. Contacted motor trike and was told there was probably something sticking because they never had problems. In shop again trying to get working right. Would take the da*n thing out but motor trike said would run into problems removing anchor pins due to red lock-tite. Wish I would have never heard of this company. Wish you better luck than me.

Remove it and replace it, with what? Even on its worst day, a mechanical reverse is better than the oem electric unit. Try Rhino 2's method and see how that works or unplug the lockout and try mine. I'm pretty sure the reverse gearset is straight-cut/non-synchronized so unless you get a little creative, there will be some grinding when engaging it.

Mine that I installed a little while back does the same thing. I just stopped trying to ease it in gear and just shift it. It then goes right into gear with the familiar Harley clunk. I also put it in first and then back to neutral before engaging the reverse when it's hot.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back