Shifting Issues V-Trike

KeithK

Gold Member
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2019
South Elgin, IL USA
Finally had time to get under the trike today. Manual 4 speed, side shifter. The shifter has popped out of the rod that goes to the trans. However it appears that the shifter has slid out of the rod or a piece might have broken off of the shifter. Are the shifters adjustable in and out? If so, I sure cannot figure it out. I hope this makes sense. Every pic I see of shifters they have a ball on the end, mine does not.

As always, thanks for any assistance.

MR TRIKE

Finally had time to get under the trike today. Manual 4 speed, side shifter. The shifter has popped out of the rod that goes to the trans. However it appears that the shifter has slid out of the rod or a piece might have broken off of the shifter. Are the shifters adjustable in and out? If so, I sure cannot figure it out. I hope this makes sense. Every pic I see of shifters they have a ball on the end, mine does not.

As always, thanks for any assistance.

Hello- A picture would help. There are 2 8mm bolts that hold the shifter housing to the shifter box. Under the housing you will find a cone shaped spring and a shifter plate. The plate should be installed with the raised portion facing out and the large flange to the top. There should be a 3/4" ball on the end of shifter rod that goes inside the cup on end of shifter rod which goes back to the transaxle shifter rod. You can buy all new parts from EMPI online. There should also be a split nylon bushing in shifter box that the shifter rod goes thru. The shifter plate is adjustable from front to rear for final adjustment. If all parts are there and adjusted right, you should be good for years. Be sure to grease the shifter bushing for smooth operation. "KEEP-ON-TRIKEN" Dick

Correct....

Hello- A picture would help. There are 2 8mm bolts that hold the shifter housing to the shifter box. Under the housing you will find a cone shaped spring and a shifter plate. The plate should be installed with the raised portion facing out and the large flange to the top. There should be a 3/4" ball on the end of shifter rod that goes inside the cup on end of shifter rod which goes back to the transaxle shifter rod. You can buy all new parts from EMPI online. There should also be a split nylon bushing in shifter box that the shifter rod goes thru. The shifter plate is adjustable from front to rear for final adjustment. If all parts are there and adjusted right, you should be good for years. Be sure to grease the shifter bushing for smooth operation. "KEEP-ON-TRIKEN" Dick

When the shifter is bolted correctly into place it it too short to slide into the shift rod.20190404_102224.jpg20190404_102233.jpg

Attachments

• 20190404_102224.jpg
    20190404_102224.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
MR TRIKE

When the shifter is bolted correctly into place it it too short to slide into the shift rod.View attachment 69983View attachment 69984

Hello- Looks to me you have no cone shaped spring, plus no shifter bushing and it looks like shifter box was welded on wrong. If you put a straight on face of shifter box it should be parallel with shifter tube. You need to get spring, nylon bushing and heat up bracket that holds shifter box and bend till shaft and shifter box are aligned. To install shifter bushing, you have to remove shifter shaft and remove coupler at trany end, install bushing in shifter box, lube and re- install shaft. If you do what i say, it will work fine. "KEEP-ON-TRIKEN" Dick

Hello- Looks to me you have no cone shaped spring, plus no shifter bushing and it looks like shifter box was welded on wrong. If you put a straight on face of shifter box it should be parallel with shifter tube. You need to get spring, nylon bushing and heat up bracket that holds shifter box and bend till shaft and shifter box are aligned. To install shifter bushing, you have to remove shifter shaft and remove coupler at trany end, install bushing in shifter box, lube and re- install shaft. If you do what i say, it will work fine. "KEEP-ON-TRIKEN" Dick

100% exactly as I thought. Looks like someone at somepoint re-welded the shifter box incorrectly. Thanks! Also, I do have all the parts, cone spring, etc. Ordered the bushing.

Last edited:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back