Shifting into reverse with a manual reverse.

Rmitchell55

850+ Posts
Dec 6, 2012
Santee
For all you people with a manual reverse gear, how do you get it to shift into reverse without grinding a pound of two and without it almost giving you whiplash? Installed a MotorTrike reverse last week and when finished and tried to shift into reverse, it sounded like I had shifted gears without using the clutch. I know that is not good on the small idler gear and bearings.

Thanks

For all you people with a manual reverse gear, how do you get it to shift into reverse without grinding a pound of two and without it almost giving you whiplash? Installed a MotorTrike reverse last week and when finished and tried to shift into reverse, it sounded like I had shifted gears without using the clutch. I know that is not good on the small idler gear and bearings.

Thanks

In ''Neutral'' .....''Engine Off''...Reach down put the lever into reverse ..Then with the clutch in.. Start the engine ease off the clutch....And feed gas ...Thats the way i did it with my 2011 Tri-Glide......ThumbUp..

In ''Neutral'' .....''Engine Off''...Reach down put the lever into reverse ..Then with the clutch in.. Start the engine ease off the clutch....And feed gas ...Thats the way i did it with my 2011 Tri-Glide......ThumbUp..

Bob, are you saying you have to shut it down before using reverse each time?

Wouldn't a good clutch adjustment solve the problem provided it was not a hydraulic( non adjustable) clutch

Bob, are you saying you have to shut it down before using reverse each time?

Wouldn't a good clutch adjustment solve the problem provided it was not a hydraulic( non adjustable) clutch

Let me Splane ....I pull in a parking space that i will have to back out of after I park the Trike , And then when i come back before i start the engine i slip it into reverse start the trike and ease off the clutch and back out..I never had to use the reverse with all the 3 Trikes i had....Mechanical or Electric thats the only time i ever needed to use reverse

If I am pulling into a place where I will need reverse, I shift into reverse before toeing it out of first gear.

If stopped, I do as above and start it in reverse.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back