REAR BRAKE FLUID and NHTSA......

rhino 2

100000 + Posts
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utopia New Jersey USA..
I was reading about a problem with brakes failing on Harley's with antilock brakes, And that the NHTSA is investigating... Harley says that because people aren't changing the brake fluid every two years like recommended....I know my 11 Tri-Glide does not have antilock brakes but because i never bothered to change my fluid since i bought the Tri-Glide' I figured maybe i better look at it..So my son came over and we bled/ drained the just the rear brakes... If i didn't see it myself i wouldn't believe it, The fluid came out looking like old engine oil, And i had to use Q tips to clean out the reservoir which had a lot of black crud on the bottom... The front look normal, But i will change them out next week when i get new pads...
I can understand moisture getting in... But then the brakes would of felt spongy.. They were normal..
I have no idea where the black curd came from, But i could see how that might affect the antilock system.. :Shrug:

I believe the "black" is a product of the fluid interacting with the hoses / gaskets. Replacing stock lines with stainless / teflon will greatly reduce this problem. Brake fluid is some seriously nasty stuff. I had a line blow out on my truck onto an aluminum rim. I had to have the rim completely re-conditioned after exposure to brake fluid.

When I have my 25k service done to my 2014 TG I will be also replacing my brake and clutch lines with stainless lines.

Bob :D

I have a 2015 Freewheeler that makes a lot of rear brake noise and I had the rear/integrated system fluid replaced last year and it appears to help - for a while. A fellow Freewheeler owner has went as far as to "Unlink" the front caliper and no his foot pedal works exclusively just the rear axle brakes. He seems to think this change improved his braking; but, I was a little skeptical and this really means the other front caliper is dead for al intensive purposes.

I am unsure if the above really applies; but, I can tell you that the fluid in my system was very dark when it was replaced as I remember the HD mechanic made similar comments and the fluid was not even a year old.......

I did not think much on it at the time.....

Springman

Ah, good ol' dot 4 brake fluid... some seriously nasty stuff.

Honda has a massive recall on GL1800's because of this also. I talked to a buddy who works for a Harley dealership (he's a svc manager), he told me that HD has provided dealerships with a device that they dip into the brake fluid resevoir and provides a moisture content reading. If it's above a certain level they're to replace and flush the fluid.

He also said that HD is looking at (or has maybe?) changing their policies for warranty with brakes. He said if the fluid isn't flushed every 2 years per their service guidelines that they may not warranty any abs components if they fail.

Like I said, that's what I was told by a buddy, he may have been blowing smoke to me, but it does make sense considering everything happening with Honda too.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back